The Student Room Group

Explain why someone should go to work and earn what they could get on benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Got Milk
Tell me please, Im seeing no value in employment anymore on a grad salary that isnt that less than a non grad salary. To earn 30k these days you gotta be a rocket scientist, the jobs I see on indeed want you to have experience in this and that and have a degree and then want to pay you 20k??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree. The benefits system is a joke. My new partners ex wife refuses to work because she has an "autustic child" She has a bit of aspergers ( I know because my daughter is the same. SHe has played the system. She gets benefits for the disability, she refuses to take the child to school ( mainstream school ) and so the local authority takes her in a taxi. ( Ex wife was offered £400 per month to take her and she refused saying she is too busy) She gets her house paid for, pays 10% only council tax. HAs all the latest gadgets .... the list goes on.
Wha Wha Wha! Oooh, the job market is competitive it's not fair! Grow up.

There are plenty of £20k+ jobs that don't need a degree, I've had several you just need to have a work ethic and actual skills at being an adult.

If you have a degree in a useful subject and didn't just pick any old Mickey Mouse course as an excuse to delay joining the real world for 3 years even better.

As for benefit life, unless you have some disabilities or an army of children with various disabilities then benefit life is awful. Sure you get housed and given enough money to apparently survive. But even the lowest paid job should see you considerably better financially, and you have your future prospects to consider. Maybe you are stuck taking a £16k job straight from uni, but guess what you're not a slave. You can carry on looking for something better which becomes exponentially easier as you gain experience.
Original post by Luke7456
When I was younger it was predicted I would never achieve anything would never be independent and self sufficient. I was utterly written off due to my autism.

Because of this I always felt that if I went on benefits I would just be fulfilling that prophecy. So i would rather work a min wage job and be bullied and hate my life then commit to that.

Been on the doll would be seriously bad for my self esteem.

However min wage jobs are not nec because I can always turn to online poker to support myself if I need to I have a statistically significant data set from the past which proves I can do it and have done so previously for significant periods.

However Poker is not really a great way to live firstly the income is not steady some days I could make £500 or £320 etc and then the next day I could lose 200-500 over the month it averages out to a reasonable salary but it kinda sucks and is stressful. You make a few hundred and go wow if I made a few hundred every day I would make like £6000-£10000k a month.

unfortunately it does not work like that, my most exceptional daily performance was £13000 but I do stress that was an extreme outlier and definitely not typical.

Then their is the ugly side all the degenerates who have gambling problems are losing their house wife kid or heading to ruin, Most losers are losing what they can afford and don't fit in to this category, however their is still a significant proportion who do have problems.

You have to be comfortable with the fact in yourself that your money comes from others ruin, and whilst a lot of me people still say that is not my responsibility or problem etc and they would lose it to someone else if not me all valid points, it still does not feel great.

I kind of feel like a predator doing that hence I decided to put my savings and winnings etc towards gaining education in maths and attaining a degree, To get a stable Job which does not rely on feeding of other peoples ruin.

I am grateful that unlike many other autistic people I always have a source of income if I can not gain employment, and know this is always something to fall back on, and a maths degree would only help exploit that further. However its not really what i want to do.

Some people just don't want to feel like they are exploiting to society/ not contributing to society I guess.

I'd never play online poker professionally, but it's interesting to know it's even possible. Thanks for sharing.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I would hardly call an unfurnished house free. And there's still rent to pay. Ok, yes, my rent is paid because my only income is ESA. But still, the house isn't just given to me like you're implying.

I'm not having a go at you or shaming you :smile: I'm glad you got a house, you are disabled and cannot work so you deserve it!

Even if the house is an empty shell it's still a house and you will slowly obtain furniture for it. Correct me if I'm misunderstand but the process is as follows.

1. Put your name on the list
2. Wait x amount of time
3. Get offered a house / flat

Isn't that basically how it works?
Original post by AishaGirl
I'm not having a go at you or shaming you :smile: I'm glad you got a house, you are disabled and cannot work so you deserve it!

Even if the house is an empty shell it's still a house and you will slowly obtain furniture for it. Correct me if I'm misunderstand but the process is as follows.

2. Wait x amount of time

You don't just get offered a house / flat. You're put into a band / given points based on need. You then have to state your interest each week on a certain amount of houses / flats (where I am, it's a maximum of 3) per week. You're then contacted if you're successful.

2. Wait x amount of time

I grew up in housing association housing, in a fairly affluent area as well so by no stretch the worst example one could give. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies dog.

It's only a minority of the people that are a problem, but they make life a living hell for the rest.
You don't just get offered a house / flat. You're put into a band / given points based on need. You then have to state your interest each week on a certain amount of houses / flats (where I am, it's a maximum of 3) per week. You're then contacted if you're successful.

So essentially what I said was right then, just with a little added "stating your interest" whatever that means.

You're just adding little details.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
I grew up in housing association housing, in a fairly affluent area as well so by no stretch the worst example one could give. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies dog.

It's only a minority of the people that are a problem, but they make life a living hell for the rest.

I'm sure the vast majority of social housing are decent people and it's the few that make it hell for others which is why I got a little defensive earlier in my other posts when people were calling me for not wanting to live near social housing people or fly economy.
So essentially what I said was right then, just with a little added "stating your interest" whatever that means.

You're just adding little details.

No. It's really not as simple as you're making it out to be.
So you did get a free house lol...?

Nothing is free, you may have heard of this little thing called tax.
Original post by Willy Pete
Nothing is free, you may have heard of this little thing called tax.

You get given a free house.

Housing benefit pays for the rent.

You pay a heavily subsidised tax on the house which you pay for from your JSA or disability benefit (which comes from the government) so yes it's 100% free in every regard.

If however you get awarded the house and then you work, you pay very low rent compared to what the house should actually cost. It's a win win situation.
You get given a free house.

Housing benefit pays for the rent.

You pay a heavily subsidised tax on the house which you pay for from your JSA or disability benefit (which comes from the government) so yes it's 100% free in every regard.

If however you get awarded the house and then you work, you pay very low rent compared to what the house should actually cost. It's a win win situation.

For a start it isn't given to you, you are granted a lease, an incredibly restrictive lease at that.

It isn't free because you have to pay for it in one form or another.

You misunderstand what tax is. You are describing paying rent on the house. Tax is something we all pay which funds the ability to subsidise the rental payments of those who would otherwise be homeless. The government money comes from the tax we all pay, even those in social housing pay tax.

If you start earning above the threshold you will eventually have to move out of the social housing a find private renting.
No. It's really not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Did you pay for the house? No you didnt meaning its free.. how can you argue this? You did not work for it so it got given to you free of charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For a start it isn't given to you, you are granted a lease, an incredibly restrictive lease at that.

You misunderstand what tax is. You are describing paying rent on the house. Tax is something we all pay which funds the ability to subsidise the rental payments of those who would otherwise be homeless. The government money comes from the tax we all pay, even those in social housing pay tax.

If you start earning above the threshold you will eventually have to move out of the social housing a find private renting.

And where does the money come from to pay the tax? As said person does mot work? Go on answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
And where does the money come from to pay the tax? As said person does mot work? Go on answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it comes from the government, which comes from other people. It is a bit a loop really.

Although it is highly unlikely that a person has never earned any of their own money.

You're clearly lying now. I saw yesterday when I was doing my research that it's quite common to get given a tenure based lease which means it's your forever, as long as you behave yourself.

Secondly you can hardly say "I pay tax" when the money you use to pay the tax comes from the government in the form of a handout lol.

Yes if you get a job then you do pay tax and rent with your hard earned money but once you have the house, you don't have to give it up once you earn a certain amount... if this is true please link your source because I never saw anything about that.

"You can be evicted for:
not paying the rent.
causing nuisance to neighbours.
using the property for illegal activities such as drug dealing.
moving out of your home or renting it to someone else.

The council can only evict you by following the correct procedure and getting a court order."

Nowhere does it mention losing your free home if you earn a certain amount.

In fact it seems quite common for social housing people to end up buying the house they get given for dirt cheap and then sold at market value which is blatantly ripping off the system and taking advantage of it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think its so attractive, then why not go on benefits and see how you like it?
You're clearly lying now. I saw yesterday when I was doing my research that it's quite common to get given a tenure based lease which means it's your forever, as long as you behave yourself.

Secondly you can hardly say "I pay tax" when the money you use to pay the tax comes from the government in the form of a handout lol.

Yes if you get a job then you do pay tax and rent with your hard earned money but once you have the house, you don't have to give it up once you earn a certain amount... if this is true please link your source because I never saw anything about that.

"You can be evicted for:
not paying the rent.
causing nuisance to neighbours.
using the property for illegal activities such as drug dealing.
moving out of your home or renting it to someone else.

The council can only evict you by following the correct procedure and getting a court order."

Nowhere does it mention losing your free home if you earn a certain amount.

You clearly have no understanding of land law or leases.

A lease is not the freehold interest of the property (you do not own it) and it is not a lease in perpetuity (forever). All leases are tenure based, tenure simply means the conditions under which a property is leased.

Most social housing is done on AST (assured shorthold tenancy) leases which are limited to a certain amount of years when they then come up for renewal. During your tenure the landlord may not evict you unless you have broken the contract or a couple of other reasons which I won't go into as they are a little too complicated for you since you don't understand the core principals.

It is highly unlikely that someone has never earned their own money at some stage in their life.

It seems I was wrong, I am happy to admit that part about no longer being eligible.

Choosing not to renew a lease does not count as eviction and does not require a court order (normally section 21).

Spoiler

You clearly have no understanding of land law or leases.

A lease is not the freehold interest of the property (you do not own it) and it is not a lease in perpetuity (forever). All leases are tenure based, tenure simply means the conditions under which a property is leased.

Most social housing is done on AST (assured shorthold tenancy) leases which are limited to a certain amount of years when they then come up for renewal. During your tenure the landlord may not evict you unless you have broken the contract or a couple of other reasons which I won't go into as they are a little too complicated for you since you don't understand the core principals.

It is highly unlikely that someone has never earned their own money at some stage in their life.

It seems I was wrong, I am happy to admit that part about no longer being eligible.

Choosing not to renew a lease does not count as eviction and does not require a court order (normally section 21).

Spoiler

You mean no knowledge of how benefits work.
No knowledge of economics.
No knowledge of the housing market.
No knowledge of how social housing is allocated.

TSR at its most ignorant and depressing. Lets hope she does something at Uni, which fills in this lack of knowledge..

If The OP wants to come back and explain why he would be better off on benefits, then maybe we can have a decent discussion. All I see is someone that doesnt understand the system or have a clue as to how little they would get and is moaning about how hard done by they are, when in fact it is not true. If benefits are a superior option to him then he should put his money where his mouth is and go onto them. The rate for under 25 is £57.90 pw. I can add all the other benefits if he provides his details..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You mean no knowledge of how benefits work.
No knowledge of economics.
No knowledge of the housing market.
No knowledge of how social housing is allocated.

TSR at its most ignorant and depressing. Lets hope she does something at Uni, which fills in this lack of knowledge..

Well daddy takes care of everything like that so I am new to this stuff. From the stuff I looked at on the gov website and others it seemed what I said was true. I just copy and pasted it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending