The Student Room Group

By 2022, no pay rises for 15 years for most - whilst rich get richer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
I note you omitted this IFS quote.

"IFS says top 1% have lost more proportionally in earnings than average workers this decade"

Doesn't fit your narrative though, so I guess it's not important.

Obviously it's not my narrative for the thread, no, but I take the point. I would suggest they have lost out (if they have - I have read contrary figures elsewhere) from a high start. It's also just 'earnings' the IFS is talking about (eg, salaries) and not unearned income - dividends, rents and investment returns form a high percentage of the aggregate earnings of the top 1%, I am not sure that the IFS include these things. Also one could look at the massive increases in property values at the upper end.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
but through the ownership of large blocks of land, shares, investments and property.

Just out of curiosity, how many houses should someone be limited to owning?
Original post by Quady
My full time salary in 2007: £13,700
My full time salary today: £51,200

I doubt by 2022 my wage will be flat compared to 15 years earlier.

Admittedly I did move from the private sector into the public sector in that time.

Doing the same job- I thought not!
Original post by AishaGirl
Just out of curiosity, how many houses should someone be limited to owning?

My personal opinion is that houses should not be used for speculation or as capital for rent privately, purely because it sets things up for the development of an idle rich rentier class, which is what is rapidly developing in the UK, when conditions are such that property is in a state of shortage.

However, in the real world, it isn't about upper limits to wealth ownership, but about a fair system of taxation that would enable the development of a better, more efficient, more just and more enjoyable society. At the moment, because thw wealthy and many big corporations are not being taxed, we have government austerity. This leads to governments constantly ramping taxes on the poor and middle class (current Tory policy basically) and cutting services to the bone. (Also current Tory policy.)
At the moment, because thw wealthy and many big corporations are not being taxed, we have government austerity. This leads to governments constantly ramping taxes on the poor and middle class (current Tory policy basically) and cutting services to the bone

The big companies are avoiding tax yes but the high tax bracket earners pay a lot of tax... I think it's something like the top 5% of highest earners pay more tax than the collective 95% of the rest of the population.

How much more tax should they pay? It's the rich people that allow the NHS, social housing, benefits system etc to exist. If you make it harder for them to earn they will just take their business elsewhere and the tax funded aspects of the government will suffer.

Consider someone who earns £700,000 a year, they'll pay £317,000 in tax! And people still complain they don't pay enough tax.
Original post by AishaGirl
The big companies are avoiding tax yes but the high tax bracket earners pay a lot of tax... I think it's something like the top 5% of highest earners pay more tax than the collective 95% of the rest of the population.

How much more tax should they pay? It's the rich people that allow the NHS, social housing, benefits system etc to exist. If you make it harder for them to earn they will just take their business elsewhere and the tax funded aspects of the government will suffer.

Consider someone who earns £700,000 a year, they'll pay £317,000 in tax! And people still complain they don't pay enough tax.

I think you are talking about very high earners rather than the very rich as such. As I said, it's a common mistake to assume that high earners = the truly rich. Very rich people tend to be untaxed or undertaxed, because they have access to avoidance / offshoring and because they don't derive their income primarily from salaries as such.
I think you are talking about very high earners rather than the very rich as such. As I said, it's a common mistake to assume that high earners = the truly rich. Very rich people tend to be untaxed or undertaxed, because they have access to avoidance / offshoring and because they don't derive their income primarily from salaries as such.

oh right ok.
I wonder how much of this studies calculations if any are due to the ever increasing price of a home.

And if they do how much poorer we will be once rates rise on mortgages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I wonder how much of this studies calculations if any are due to the ever increasing price of a home.

And if they do how much poorer we will be once rates rise on mortgages

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I can tell reading their report, they are looking at earnings rather than assets. This is one of the key things, as clearly middle class and wealthy people, especially in the South East, have seen huge increases in property values for owners. This is notional money only (people have to live somewhere and, as you say, prices can crash downwards) but it tends to strongly affect access to credit, confidence in spending, etc.
As far as I can tell reading their report, they are looking at earnings rather than assets. This is one of the key things, as clearly middle class and wealthy people, especially in the South East, have seen huge increases in property values for owners. This is notional money only (people have to live somewhere and, as you say, prices can crash downwards) but it tends to strongly affect access to credit, confidence in spending, etc.

Well that's even more disappointing house prices go up 5-10% most years

Posted from TSR Mobile
The IFS, one of Britain's most trusted economic information centres, predicts on the basis of the Chancellor's statement yesterday that by 2022, real average earnings will be no higher than they were in 2007.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/mar/09/circumstances-have-moved-on-hammond-defends-breaking-tory-manifesto-promise-on-nics-politics-live

The head of the IFS said: "Income and earnings growth over the next few years still look like being weak. On current forecasts average earnings will be no higher in 2022 than they were in 2007. Fifteen years without a pay rise. I’m rather lost for superlatives. This is completely unprecedented."

The main aim of current government policy appears to be to keep the majority on a stagnating income, whilst staggering growth in the income and wealth of the richest in society continues. For bankers, hedge fund managers, CEOs and top executives, there has been no stagnating pay, but year after year of huge increases.

The Conservatives offer nothing to most voters. People are conned into supporting them at election time.

This is why we need plenty of scapegoats.

1. Immigrants.
2. Muslims.
3. Disabled people.
4. Parents with lots of children.
5. Self employed Fat Cats.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
This is why we need plenty of scapegoats.

1. Immigrants.
2. Muslims.
3. Disabled people.
4. Parents with lots of children.
5. Self employed Fat Cats.

No one moans about any of those but immigrants keeping pay down or raising housing costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
It's an employer's market. They have the power. Partly thank open borders and free movement. Also think companies are having to make up substantial shortfalls in their discontinued generous pension schemes to soon to be/ retired employees - younger employees will have no such security to look forward to. And employers will have to minimise pay and perks to divert money to pensioners - Someone is paying a hefty price for these schemes.

Why should final salary pension holders not share some of the pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Conservative Party have used GDP growth and job figures to demonstrate the strength of the economy. Their docile supporters have unquestionably accepted this.

But if you scratch below the surface, you find a more moribund situation.... poor productivity, a rise in low paid jobs, woeful investment in science and technology, etc. The FT nicely summarised the situation:

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 17.57.59.png
Original post by Quantex
The Conservative Party have used GDP growth and job figures to demonstrate the strength of the economy. Their docile supporters have unquestionably accepted this.

But if you scratch below the surface, you find a more moribund situation.... poor productivity, a rise in low paid jobs, woeful investment in science and technology, etc. The FT nicely summarised the situation:

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 17.57.59.png

that graph really upsets TSR tories
Reply 35
They arent trustworthy, they having been peddling crappy Keynesian solutions to all these problems. They dont even understand what Austerity is.

However I do agree with you that the Corporatist policies of the government has caused many problems for poorer people within Britain, government subsidies to large companies, and the refusal to let land owners develop on the Greenbelt is certainly a problem. Of course no one will mention the many hectares of unused land that could be built on to end the housing crisis.

The solution has been clear for decades, less government not more government will end all these problems.

Keynesians are like an addict trying to recover from addiction by taking more drugs. Taking more drugs can only lead to one thing, and that thing is death. Same here, financial ruin is the only outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending