The Student Room Group

She's cancelled before, will she do it again?

I met this girl through the murky world of online dating. The first problem that I encountered, was that she suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth for a week back in January. During this time I reached out to one of her work colleagues on Facebook, who stated that she had messed a lot of guys about in the past.

The next week, she got back in touch, saying that she wanted a break from social media, and would love to meet me. Therefore, we agreed a date to go out for a few drinks. The day before she messaged me to say that she had to cancel, because she had to babysit her nephew, and her dad was coming back from Cyprus. Now I know what you're thinking. Surely she would have known the day that her dad was coming back from Cyprus before we made plans? This rang alarm bells.

However, my dating life is not exactly blossoming, so I have, perhaps stupidly, decided to give her another chance. We are supposed to be meeting on Friday. Now I am fairly sure that she'll flake. Should I have given another chance? What do I say/do if she does back out?
Original post by Anonymous
I met this girl through the murky world of online dating. The first problem that I encountered, was that she suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth for a week back in January. During this time I reached out to one of her work colleagues on Facebook, who stated that she had messed a lot of guys about in the past.

The next week, she got back in touch, saying that she wanted a break from social media, and would love to meet me. Therefore, we agreed a date to go out for a few drinks. The day before she messaged me to say that she had to cancel, because she had to babysit her nephew, and her dad was coming back from Cyprus. Now I know what you're thinking. Surely she would have known the day that her dad was coming back from Cyprus before we made plans? This rang alarm bells.

However, my dating life is not exactly blossoming, so I have, perhaps stupidly, decided to give her another chance. We are supposed to be meeting on Friday. Now I am fairly sure that she'll flake. Should I have given another chance? What do I say/do if she does back out?

Stop fretting. She either does or doesnt. If she cancels again then decide now if you just wnat to call it a day or believe her excuse and rearrange. Simple as that.

Do not give her another chance.

She is bad news. Run. Get out of this toxic relationship. It's like the new film 'Get Out!', and you are the black guy. But more seriously, take the work colleagues advice, she obviously has a habit of doing this.
Reply 3
Original post by alexthebigdog
Do not give her another chance.

She is bad news. Run. Get out of this toxic relationship. It's like the new film 'Get Out!', and you are the black guy. But more seriously, take the work colleagues advice, she obviously has a habit of doing this.

Yep gut instinct says you're right
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Stop fretting. She either does or doesnt. If she cancels again then decide now if you just wnat to call it a day or believe her excuse and rearrange. Simple as that.

I think if I do decide to go through with it, then this will be the last chance. Twice with all the other signs, is definitely enough.
Reply 5
I think if I do decide to go through with it, then this will be the last chance. Twice with all the other signs, is definitely enough.

I agree 100% with you.
Reply 6

Yes! If not let's get it on an episode of Catfish :biggrin:.
In all seriousness, I agree - twice would be enough, especially if she seems fishy anyway
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
I agree 100% with you.

I know in my heart of hearts that giving her this chance is too much, but a tiny part of me thinks "you never know."
Reply 8
Original post by TK_23
Yes! If not let's get it on an episode of Catfish :biggrin:.
In all seriousness, I agree - twice would be enough, especially if she seems fishy anyway

Good point, I think they were planning on doing a UK series. I'm fairly sure she isnt a catfish though, all her social media links together, and I've done the whole phone number and picture search.
You've made the same thread before.
Why do people make multiple threads asking the same thing?
It's like, you aren't happy with the direction of responses the first time around, so keep on trying until you hear the responses you want.

So in other words, do what your gut instinct is telling you.
Reply 10
Good point, I think they were planning on doing a UK series. I'm fairly sure she isnt a catfish though, all her social media links together, and I've done the whole phone number and picture search.

I like how you did your research :lol:
I've watched so many episodes now, I can smell a catfish from a mile
But as @Twinpeaks has just said, follow your gut instinct!
Original post by Twinpeaks
You've made the same thread before.
Why do people make multiple threads asking the same thing?
It's like, you aren't happy with the direction of responses the first time around, so keep on trying until you hear the responses you want.

So in other words, do what your gut instinct is telling you.

I've never made this thread before, so not sure where you've got that from.
Better being single and waiting for someone else.
OMG, she cancelled ONCE! Get over yourself. Some people aren't perfect, so just because she cancelled once does not mean that she is bad news
I've never made this thread before, so not sure where you've got that from.

I distinctly remember a thread a short while ago, where a man met a woman via online dating, and she then disappeared off of social media for a short while, before coming back, and wanting to meet up.

I also distinctly remember the guy asking her work colleague about the girl, and the colleague then warned him that she's done similar things in the past (cancel on guys).
I remember you titled the thread something like "people say she's done this before". Or something.

And I remember finding it odd that firstly you tracked down her work colleague to ask about a girl you met online, and also that you took the opinion of one work colleague, as "people".

If that's not you then that is a rather large coincidence isn't it.
Perhaps she's giving you the brush off gently. Cos she is practically a stranger and when you don't hear from her for a week, you contact the people she works with????? What's wrong with you? Her work colleagues aren't your friends and you had no business contacting them!!!!
That makes you clingy stalker material and if I were her I'd run for the hills!!!!
Original post by Sammylou40
Perhaps she's giving you the brush off gently. Cos she is practically a stranger and when you don't hear from her for a week, you contact the people she works with????? What's wrong with you? Her work colleagues aren't your friends and you had no business contacting them!!!!
That makes you clingy stalker material and if I were her I'd run for the hills!!!!

I second this, I'd be absolutely fuming!
Reply 17
Who knows? It's a one off, give her a chance.

On the other hand, why you would contact her work colleagues is a little disturbing. Perhaps they told her and she assumed you were stalking her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending