The Student Room Group

Parents not happy

So I've recently found out that I've got a job I wanted which happens to be very far away from home - I was super stoked about it until I mentioned the location to my parents.

It shouldn't have come as a complete shock since I had alluded to the location when I was thinking of applying but now that it's confirmed, the first thing they ask is whether I'm able to change the location of my job and whether I applied closer but just didn't get it.

Honestly, it kind of threw me back - and has left a sinking feeling in my heart. After venting her disbelief, interrogating and undermining my choices, my mum tried to backtrack on what she had said and tried to put it down to the fact it was far. Given that I am 23 years old and about to become a doctor, you can imagine my surprise.

I feel like I shouldn't have told them now and that I should have waited until closer to the time I had to leave. I know I shouldn't really be affected much by what they think since it's my career yet I can't help but feel upset every time I think about the way my mum handled the news!

Knowing that I don't have the 'true' support of my parents when starting this new chapter (despite my mothers best efforts to recant her earlier statements) feels horrible - especially when I can see the disapproval/disappointment so clearly in their faces.

Considering parents are usually the one's who you can count on to support you and want you to do well - I'm finding myself being increasingly frustrated whilst overthinking their reaction.

Has anyone else had any remotely similar experiences with their parents undermining/being unsupportive of decisions?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I've recently found out that I've got a job I wanted which happens to be very far away from home - I was super stoked about it until I mentioned the location to my parents.

It shouldn't have come as a complete shock since I had alluded to the location when I was thinking of applying but now that it's confirmed, the first thing they ask is whether I'm able to change the location of my job and whether I applied closer but just didn't get it.

Honestly, it kind of threw me back - and has left a sinking feeling in my heart. After venting her disbelief, interrogating and undermining my choices, my mum tried to backtrack on what she had said and tried to put it down to the fact it was far. Given that I am 23 years old and about to become a doctor, you can imagine my surprise.

I feel like I shouldn't have told them now and that I should have waited until closer to the time I had to leave. I know I shouldn't really be affected much by what they think since it's my career yet I can't help but feel upset every time I think about the way my mum handled the news!

Knowing that I don't have the 'true' support of my parents when starting this new chapter (despite my mothers best efforts to recant her earlier statements) feels horrible - especially when I can see the disapproval/disappointment so clearly in their faces.

Considering parents are usually the one's who you can count on to support you and want you to do well - I'm finding myself being increasingly frustrated whilst overthinking their reaction.

Has anyone else had any remotely similar experiences with their parents undermining/being unsupportive of decisions?

There will always come a time in a parent's life, when they realise their child is actually growing up (or in your case - all grown up!) and many react in all sorts of ways.

Like yours, mine are also being a little difficult handling the fact that I'll be moving away for uni soon, but the way I see it they're just concerned about me and the fact that I won't always be there with them 24/7.

For your situation, I'd try having some more discussions with them and really stressing the fact how much this job means to you and how eventually you'll need to stray away from them a lil to be more independent. Hopefully, soon they'll then realise that they can't always offer you that blanket of support or safety. I'm sure over time your mum will be more accepting of your decision!

Good luck and congrats on your job!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending