The Student Room Group

Should I accept my college offer?

Earlier this year I applied for a college in London and I've been accepted for the course. I said yes to the offer and I'm really happy with my choice in college. The only thing is my parents are most likely moving me out of London with them and I won't be able to attend. What'll happen if I say I won't be attending now after I've already accepted. Keep in mind that I'm 17 so college is free for me at the minute.
Original post by land.
Earlier this year I applied for a college in London and I've been accepted for the course. I said yes to the offer and I'm really happy with my choice in college. The only thing is my parents are most likely moving me out of London with them and I won't be able to attend. What'll happen if I say I won't be attending now after I've already accepted. Keep in mind that I'm 17 so college is free for me at the minute.

Are you parents entirely uninterested in your education? Why would they be "most likely moving me out of London with them"? So they might not be moving? Or might not take you with them?

If you've accepted a place but your circumstances change, then you've just need to let the college know and they'll assign your place to someone else.

More of a concern, I'd have thought, is where you will go instead? Do you know where you might be moving to? Have to applied to any colleges near there? If you haven't (and you know where you'll be applying to) then you might have difficulty applying, as those colleges will be closed for the summer now and their application deadlines may well have now passed.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you parents entirely uninterested in your education? Why would they be "most likely moving me out of London with them"? So they might not be moving? Or might not take you with them?

If you've accepted a place but your circumstances change, then you've just need to let the college know and they'll assign your place to someone else.

More of a concern, I'd have thought, is where you will go instead? Do you know where you might be moving to? Have to applied to any colleges near there? If you haven't (and you know where you'll be applying to) then you might have difficulty applying, as those colleges will be closed for the summer now and their application deadlines may well have now passed.

Yeah they're not really sure if they're moving then or specifically where so I can't apply to any colleges because I'm not sure where we're moving :frown: It's not really fair, I think, because this is my last year of free education so I'll probably have to look for an apprenticeship:frown:
Original post by land.
Yeah they're not really sure if they're moving then or specifically where so I can't apply to any colleges because I'm not sure where we're moving :frown: It's not really fair, I think, because this is my last year of free education so I'll probably have to look for an apprenticeship:frown:

Well, then I suggest you accept the offer you have (as you say you're "really happy with my choice in college"), and hope your parents don't move. If they do, you'll need to make alternative plans. But until you know when that'll happen, and to where you'll be moving, there's nothing you can really do in preparation.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Well, then I suggest you accept the offer you have (as you say you're "really happy with my choice in college"), and hope your parents don't move. If they do, you'll need to make alternative plans. But until you know when that'll happen, and to where you'll be moving, there's nothing you can really do in preparation.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending