nosestuckinbooks
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, do you think I should take Psychology at AS Level or EPQ?

The subjects I've confirmed that I'll be taking are Bio, Chem and Maths.

Would doing Psych at AS Level or EPQ benefit more if I'm planning to apply to med school?

Thanks!!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
A full AS/A-level such as psychology will be far better than an EPQ.

Could you not do both? I did EPQ and it required little effort (got A*)
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Some universities won't' accept EPQ in the admissions process.

If you have one in mind, it's worth checking.
Sloppyjoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I would suggest taking EPQ, not psychology. I did EPQ and applied for medicine. At the end of AS the only qualifications, you will have is your EPQ grade and AS Maths. If you show you got an A or A* in EPQ it shows you have such skills required for university such as time management, reflection and evaluation.

I had to come to the same decision, EPQ or psychology. Lots of psychology is easy but lots of reading and evaluating. It is time-consuming... check about this...but I don't think you can get an AS in this subject as it is linear.

As you want to apply fro medicine, they only care about AAA in bio, chem and maths/physics. Any other grades is a bonus. Make sure you don't jeopardise your other A levels by taking on extra work.

Hope this helps

(Original post by nosestuckinbooks)
Hello, do you think I should take

Psychology at AS Level or EPQ?

The subjects I've confirmed that I'll be taking are Bio, Chem and Maths.

Would doing Psych at AS Level or EPQ benefit more if I'm planning to apply to med school?

Thanks!!
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sloppyjoe)
I would suggest taking EPQ, not psychology. I did EPQ and applied for medicine. At the end of AS the only qualifications, you will have is your EPQ grade and AS Maths. If you show you got an A or A* in EPQ it shows you have such skills required for university such as time management, reflection and evaluation.

I had to come to the same decision, EPQ or psychology. Lots of psychology is easy but lots of reading and evaluating. It is time-consuming... check about this...but I don't think you can get an AS in this subject as it is linear.

As you want to apply fro medicine, they only care about AAA in bio, chem and maths/physics. Any other grades is a bonus. Make sure you don't jeopardise your other A levels by taking on extra work.

Hope this helps
You can get an AS. It won't count towards A2, it counts as a separate qualification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.13%
The paper was reasonable (179)
38.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.48%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.06%

Watched Threads