The Student Room Group

Post-grad 2018

Hi there,

Appreciate all the rules and guidelines are still be worked through but wanted to ask anyway.

I'm looking to apply for a PhD with an April 2018 start date; currently PhD loans are due to be introduced in autumn 2018 and I understand if you are already on a course you can't get finance in later years. I'm self-funding and have core savings to use but obviously any additional help is going to be greatly appreciated!

1) As I will be a 18/19 student (but April start not September); is it likely I will be able to apply for a PhD loan (as I will be in my first year of study when loans are introduced)?

2) If no; if I start on an MPhil in April 2018 is it permissible to gain a postgrad loan for the masters year and then apply for a PhD loan in April 2019 when my course (hopefully!) upgrades?

Many thanks for any help,
Original post by postgradrookie
Hi there,

Appreciate all the rules and guidelines are still be worked through but wanted to ask anyway.

I'm looking to apply for a PhD with an April 2018 start date; currently PhD loans are due to be introduced in autumn 2018 and I understand if you are already on a course you can't get finance in later years. I'm self-funding and have core savings to use but obviously any additional help is going to be greatly appreciated!

1) As I will be a 18/19 student (but April start not September); is it likely I will be able to apply for a PhD loan (as I will be in my first year of study when loans are introduced)?

2) If no; if I start on an MPhil in April 2018 is it permissible to gain a postgrad loan for the masters year and then apply for a PhD loan in April 2019 when my course (hopefully!) upgrades?

Many thanks for any help,

1) You wont be an 18/19 student. A course starting in April 18 would be starting in the 2017/18 academic year (and so you wouldn't be able to apply for PhD loans. When the PGL loans were introduced they were only available for courses starting after 1 August of the academic year concerned.

2) Will depend on how your university class the two courses - if the PhD upgrade is treated as a continuation from the MPhil (as it usually is) then no it would be eligible.

Sorry

Is there any way you could defer your start date by 5 months?
Thanks for your reply - although not the news I was hoping for. Its so frustrating the new loans aren't available for those already part-way through studying.

Obviously deferring 5months would be easy but as I'm already planning my research 1yr out, I've really set myself on the april start. I'll have to think carefully

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending