The Student Room Group

Children should work in their school holidays and earn money.

Why?

Why not?
We're not gonna help you do your homework. Nice try!!
ofc child labour is cheap so it's good for the economy
Reply 3
Im quite young, and i really wanna consider getting a weekend job or something. I mean, like handing out leaflets or something small.. Nothing too major but something i can make a little bit of money from! Its just the dedication side of things thats the problem for me. Not gonna lie, i get bored easily so i'd probably leave quite early on.
Wanna try it though!
And by children you mean?
What age?
Child labour was made illegal quite some time ago
Mine helped out but for gods sake they're not allowed to be children very long these days. Let them be!!!
Why? - Whatever my Dad lectured me on last year about experience and earning your right to stay in the family home and all that stuff.
It might be quite good to prepare children for going into future work. Idk.
Unfortunately I'm terrible at paying attention to my Dad's lectures.

Why not?
Effort :tongue:
I need to catch up on my sleep after insomnia-ridden nights before every exam.
I need to regain brain space, I do not like the idea of being in another stressful environment after a stressful school year.
Children are children. Let them be children. Depending on their age, yes maybe a paper round or odd-jobs but they can work when they know what work is lol xD
Reply 6
Nah sorry, it's more fun not being a perfect citizen.
Well I mean considering minimum wage is less than £4 an hour there's not really alot in for them is there..
Thread title sounds like a campaign header from the Conservative party's manifesto
Reply 9
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Why? - Whatever my Dad lectured me on last year about experience and earning your right to stay in the family home and all that stuff.
It might be quite good to prepare children for going into future work. Idk.
Unfortunately I'm terrible at paying attention to my Dad's lectures.

Why not?
Effort :tongue:
I need to catch up on my sleep after insomnia-ridden nights before every exam.
I need to regain brain space, I do not like the idea of being in another stressful environment after a stressful school year.
Children are children. Let them be children. Depending on their age, yes maybe a paper round or odd-jobs but they can work when they know what work is lol xD

I completely agree with this

It might be quite good to prepare children for going into future work.

Original post by josejuan
I completely agree with this

Wait which part? XD
No no no no
Don't let their childhood go to waste
im a kid and im working :frown:
I did that by playing video games lel. Money tournaments hi.
Children under the age of 14 shouldn't have to work imo - their education starts becoming serious around this time and they shouldn't need to balance school/work at such an early time which is already busy socially and mentally.

Once you get past the age of 14, it might be a good opportunity to do some very light working to learn experience, but not enough that it clashes with school work.

If I had to work over my holidays I would burn out once I get back to school. I take advantage of the holidays to catch up with friends, sleep, and do work set from school. I really couldn't imagine fitting work into that. Maybe over summer, but not during Christmas/Easter.

Saying that I don't think kids over the age of 16 should rely on their parents for money too much either - maybe a Saturday afternoon job or something might be good? I think jobs during the school week are a bad bad idea, especially for A Level students lol
Reply 15
No. Holidays are for relaxing.

Dont send them to work just cos you're too stingy to pay for a babysitter or too lazy to look after them yourself.
Reply 16
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Wait which part? XD

It might be quite good to prepare children for going into future work.
Reply 17
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Children under the age of 14 shouldn't have to work imo - their education starts becoming serious around this time and they shouldn't need to balance school/work at such an early time which is already busy socially and mentally.

Once you get past the age of 14, it might be a good opportunity to do some very light working to learn experience, but not enough that it clashes with school work.

If I had to work over my holidays I would burn out once I get back to school. I take advantage of the holidays to catch up with friends, sleep, and do work set from school. I really couldn't imagine fitting work into that. Maybe over summer, but not during Christmas/Easter.

Saying that I don't think kids over the age of 16 should rely on their parents for money too much either - maybe a Saturday afternoon job or something might be good? I think jobs during the school week are a bad bad idea, especially for A Level students lol

Children can't work before 16, but can help at home.

However, children can do simple activities in order to help theirs family and improve their habilities.

For example:

https://www.familyeducation.com/life/individuality/i-did-it-all-myself-age-age-guide-teaching-your-child-life-skills-0?slide=4

I Did it All By Myself! An Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Your Child Life Skills Ages 10-13: Gaining Independence
Ten is about the age when your child can begin to perform many skills independently. He should know how to:
Stay home alone.
Go to the store and make purchases by himself.
Change his own bed sheets.
Use the washing machine and dryer.
Plan and prepare a meal with several ingredients.
Use the oven to broil or bake foods.
Your child should also learn how to:
Read labels.
Iron his clothes.
Learn to use basic hand tools. Mow the lawn. Look after younger siblings or neighbors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending