The Student Room Group

Were you 16 when you got/applied for your provisional driving license?

Ok so this might be a really dumb question but I swear you could apply for your provisional drivers license when you're 16, but when I try, it says that I will only receive a moped provisional and not a car provisional since I'm not receiving "personal independence payment" and so will have to wait a couple months till I turn 17. Have they changed the rules? I know people who have gotten a provisional at 16 so I'm confused.
Reply 1
Original post by isla.marie
Ok so this might be a really dumb question but I swear you could apply for your provisional drivers license when you're 16, but when I try, it says that I will only receive a moped provisional and not a car provisional since I'm not receiving "personal independence payment" and so will have to wait a couple months till I turn 17. Have they changed the rules? I know people who have gotten a provisional at 16 so I'm confused.

i got mine when i was 18 with no intention of learning to drive but i needed some form of ID for clubbing at uni ...
You can apply for your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months old, and your provisional licence should come within 2 weeks. You can then drive a car at 17 years old, provided you have sorted out insurance on the car you are driving.
Reply 3
I got my provisional at 16 and passed at 17.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah your license covers moped and car after 17 you don't need to wait to apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by isla.marie

You can apply for the licence when you're 16, but you cannot drive a car until you're 17 - the licence has the dates for the various categories on the back.
Reply 6
Did you apply for it and if so did it include car or did you have to re apply and get another one for a car when you turn 17
Reply 7
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Yeah your license covers moped and car after 17 you don't need to wait to apply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you need to reapply at 17 or does it auto become a car one
Reply 8
I'll be 18 next week (well 9 days) and I still haven't thought about getting one even though my parents have been pestering me to start learning to drive :lol:
Just don't trust myself behind a wheel :tongue:
I got mine at 16.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I got mine at 16.

Did yours have car as well just for when your turnt 17 I don’t wanna waste my money if I have to do it again
Original post by Beckeeee
Did yours have car as well just for when your turnt 17 I don’t wanna waste my money if I have to do it again

What do you mean did it 'have car as well'?

A provisional is a provisional.
Reply 12
I got my provisional at 17 and passed at 17.
What do you mean did it 'have car as well'?

A provisional is a provisional.

AF79300F-CAEB-41B3-B6E8-F62448D6F6B8.png When I tried to apply it said this
It's the same license you just won't be able to drive a car until you're 17 not 16.
It's the same license you just won't be able to drive a car until you're 17 not 16.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending