Were you 16 when you got/applied for your provisional driving license?

Watch
isla.marie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok so this might be a really dumb question but I swear you could apply for your provisional drivers license when you're 16, but when I try, it says that I will only receive a moped provisional and not a car provisional since I'm not receiving "personal independence payment" and so will have to wait a couple months till I turn 17. Have they changed the rules? I know people who have gotten a provisional at 16 so I'm confused.
fefssdf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by isla.marie)
Ok so this might be a really dumb question but I swear you could apply for your provisional drivers license when you're 16, but when I try, it says that I will only receive a moped provisional and not a car provisional since I'm not receiving "personal independence payment" and so will have to wait a couple months till I turn 17. Have they changed the rules? I know people who have gotten a provisional at 16 so I'm confused.
i got mine when i was 18 with no intention of learning to drive but i needed some form of ID for clubbing at uni ...
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can apply for your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months old, and your provisional licence should come within 2 weeks. You can then drive a car at 17 years old, provided you have sorted out insurance on the car you are driving.
A321
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got my provisional at 16 and passed at 17.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah your license covers moped and car after 17 you don't need to wait to apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by isla.marie)
You can apply for the licence when you're 16, but you cannot drive a car until you're 17 - the licence has the dates for the various categories on the back.
Beckeeee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you apply for it and if so did it include car or did you have to re apply and get another one for a car when you turn 17
Beckeeee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
Yeah your license covers moped and car after 17 you don't need to wait to apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you need to reapply at 17 or does it auto become a car one
Bham369
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll be 18 next week (well 9 days) and I still haven't thought about getting one even though my parents have been pestering me to start learning to drive :lol:
Just don't trust myself behind a wheel
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got mine at 16.
Beckeeee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
I got mine at 16.
Did yours have car as well just for when your turnt 17 I don’t wanna waste my money if I have to do it again
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Beckeeee)
Did yours have car as well just for when your turnt 17 I don’t wanna waste my money if I have to do it again
What do you mean did it 'have car as well'?

A provisional is a provisional.
RudgeF
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got my provisional at 17 and passed at 17.
Beckeeee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you mean did it 'have car as well'?

A provisional is a provisional.
Name:  AF79300F-CAEB-41B3-B6E8-F62448D6F6B8.png
Views: 375
Size:  254.8 KB When I tried to apply it said this
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's the same license you just won't be able to drive a car until you're 17 not 16.
Beckeeee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's the same license you just won't be able to drive a car until you're 17 not 16.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads