The Student Room Group

University decision advice

I have two unconditional offers for nursing, one from Robert gordon in Aberdeen and another from Chester uni.

I'm torn between the two.

Robert gordon:

+ It's Scotland

+ Liked the campus+staff

+ Near-ish cairngorms

+ September start

- Aberdeen is expensive to live in

- Lower ranked than Chester

- Placements are often rural so could potentially be difficult to get too. However travel expenses are paid.

- Leaving the EU, Scottish independence... All that political stuff. Seems like I should be able to do the three years before all that plays out and potentially has any impact on things like educational funding but still a risk.

- A three year Scottish degree is not weighted the same as an English one. Three years would get me a bachelors without honours in nursing as oppose to a bachelors with honours at Chester. However in nursing this only matters if you want to go onto further study, which I'm not sure if I would ever want to do. You're still a fully qualified nurse at the end. But I do already have a Bsc (hons) in wildlife conservation which may allow me to go onto further study as this shows I can work at that higher research level.

Chester (Warrington campus):

+ Quite highly ranked, especially for nursing

+/- closer to home

- Campus is around an hour walk from the town center, Warrington has little to offer and is 30 miles from Chester.

- February 2018 start

- Didn't like campus, halls were terrible and didn't get a good vibe from the lecturers

So it's really a question of follow your head or your heart... Chester appears the safe choice but I still want RGU. I only have a few more days to decide, if anyone has any thoughts on which way to go it would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by moon14
I have two unconditional offers for nursing, one from Robert gordon in Aberdeen and another from Chester uni.

I'm torn between the two.

Robert gordon:

+ It's Scotland

+ Liked the campus+staff

+ Near-ish cairngorms

+ September start

- Aberdeen is expensive to live in

- Lower ranked than Chester

- Placements are often rural so could potentially be difficult to get too. However travel expenses are paid.

- Leaving the EU, Scottish independence... All that political stuff. Seems like I should be able to do the three years before all that plays out and potentially has any impact on things like educational funding but still a risk.

- A three year Scottish degree is not weighted the same as an English one. Three years would get me a bachelors without honours in nursing as oppose to a bachelors with honours at Chester. However in nursing this only matters if you want to go onto further study, which I'm not sure if I would ever want to do. You're still a fully qualified nurse at the end. But I do already have a Bsc (hons) in wildlife conservation which may allow me to go onto further study as this shows I can work at that higher research level.

Chester (Warrington campus):

+ Quite highly ranked, especially for nursing

+/- closer to home

- Campus is around an hour walk from the town center, Warrington has little to offer and is 30 miles from Chester.

- February 2018 start

- Didn't like campus, halls were terrible and didn't get a good vibe from the lecturers

So it's really a question of follow your head or your heart... Chester appears the safe choice but I still want RGU. I only have a few more days to decide, if anyone has any thoughts on which way to go it would be greatly appreciated.

With nursing ranking won't be that relevant, I think travel time and placements and perhaps the teaching should be the biggest factors to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending