The Student Room Group

Southampton or UCL? For MSc Engineering

Which of the two courses will give me the better advantage in the world of work? And which engineering department is better? thanks in advance guys :smile:

UCL - MSc Engineering with Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Southampton - MSc Space Systems Engineering
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Southampton is more prestigious for engineering, will cost less. IMO, if you're going to go to london its not really worth going unless you go to imperial.
UCL course sounds more interesting and seems like something that has more job opportunities. Although I know nothing about engineering lol
Original post by nesstargaryen
I've always had a passion for space engineering, but i'm not sure if doing a masters with a little bit of business in it is best since i also want to start my own business one day!

Which of the two courses will give me the better advantage in the world of work? And which engineering department is more prestigious? thanks in advance guys

UCL - MSc Engineering with Innovation & Entrepreneurship
UCL - MSc Space Science & Engineering
Southampton - MSc Space Systems Engineering

Hi, I've merged all of your threads together so hopefully you'll get some better answers.
If you want to do Space then definitely go for the Space focused degree, having the specific knowledge is a massive advantage for going into the industry. Soton's engineering department is also more prestigious.

I would say also look into Surrey, Open University, and TU Delft, those all have even stronger reputations in the Space industry.
Reply 5
I opted for UCL as there are more support staff on hand for projects etc. and as you say it seems more interesting.
(edited 6 years ago)
I studied at Southampton this year and it was pretty bad. So bad that I feel like i've been punched in the face and someone has stole £9000 out of my wallet. The course lacks content, has lecturers with little to no actual engineering experience in major companies and the content is literally just bullet points extracted out of textbooks and read to you from a powerpoint. There is no 'hands on' engineering or even computer modelling.

I have heard from other students that Surrey is the place to go, and from employers perspective I have also been told Surrey students are more prepared for industry as their course is of a good standard.
Reply 7
Original post by Davidswift9
I studied at Southampton this year and it was pretty bad. So bad that I feel like i've been punched in the face and someone has stole £9000 out of my wallet. The course lacks content, has lecturers with little to no actual engineering experience in major companies and the content is literally just bullet points extracted out of textbooks and read to you from a powerpoint. There is no 'hands on' engineering or even computer modelling.

I have heard from other students that Surrey is the place to go, and from employers perspective I have also been told Surrey students are more prepared for industry as their course is of a good standard.

Hi, I was comsidering Southampton for my Meng in EE and worried after reading your post. what did you study at Southampton.?
Original post by Dumi2508
Hi, I was comsidering Southampton for my Meng in EE and worried after reading your post. what did you study at Southampton.?

It was spacecraft engineering. the E and E department building is great, lots of labs and when I went in there to speak to some guys to assist with my final project - they really knew their stuff. My first impression of the staff there was great. I have no experience on the module content.

Quick Reply

Latest