The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty much all unis are using plagiarism detection software, so they know exactly what you plagiarized and where you plagiarized it from.
Original post by starburs
As title says I was struggling on this dissertation and so i copied a bit of work from a website but after I handed in I got called into the office and told that they dectected I had been done for plagerism I mean I don't understand how they know I copied the work, I am now really scared they could disqualify me from the course, I am in the final year, is there anyway I can get away with it?

Ever heard of Turnitin? It's software that virtually all unis have and which scans electronic pieces of work and matches its content to anything on the internet, it's a plagiarism checker.
Reply 3
Original post by Fred5134
Pretty much all unis are using plagiarism detection software, so they know exactly what you plagiarized and where you plagiarized it from.

f*** I didn't know you think if I say sorry they wil be lenient on me.

No.

nope
Reply 6
anyone know what punishment I could get, I heard it could be as severe as being disqualified, really crying now at the thought of it.
You were probably stupid enough to copy it down word for word lol. Should have paraphrased.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's odd, as my college course tutor mentioned how they use anti-plagiarism software to catch any copy and paste cheating, yet I did exactly that on one of my assignments and never got caught. :lolwut:
Reply 9
I never thought to change the words I thought I would get away with it, I didn't know they could scan for copying.
They gonna roast you good boi
It all depends how much you copied and if you put references. It may be that you will have to repeat year and rewrite your dissertation or I do not know. All depends from the university policies.
Reply 12
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Ever heard of Turnitin? It's software that virtually all unis have and which scans electronic pieces of work and matches its content to anything on the internet, it's a plagiarism checker.

PRSOM
Even I knew that, and I'm not even in university.
Did you cite and reference the work?
They figured out before that someone sent a photo of work through a printer in the library mid way through one of my exams. This is the real world now there's no hiding places.
Reply 15
As title says I was struggling on this dissertation and so i copied a bit of work from a website but after I handed in I got called into the office and told that they dectected I had been done for plagerism I mean I don't understand how they know I copied the work, I am now really scared they could disqualify me from the course, I am in the final year, is there anyway I can get away with it?

It depends on the university. If they have strict procedures then that's not good for you, there could be a chance that you might be let off.
And for some reason, you don't seem to sound like a uni student. You should be aware of Plagiarism... At the very start of the year they should inform each student about this especially in lectures and also you should be having a Plagiarism test?
Reply 17
My friend said they are strict god no really hope I don't get kicked out
Original post by S2M
It depends on the university. If they have strict procedures then that's not good for you, there could be a chance that you might be let off.

At my college and at the school I attended prior to college, the teachers said that the vast majority of the time, they could tell the moment they set eye on the submitted work that it had been copied from somewhere without the need to use plagiarism checkers. :lol:

Indeed my biology teacher at school accused me of copying and pasting a submission, just because I'd worked so hard on it. :unimpressed: :colonhash:

(I managed to convince her to accept it in the end though).
My friend said they are strict god no really hope I don't get kicked out

Universities take academic cheating, aka plagiarism very seriously - the consequences could be grave.

Latest