The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Please, this is getting ridiculous!!!!

So what if people want to "moan" about losing marks!!!
This forum allows people to speak freely and opening and to mock people for doing that is just sad!

If there are some people that are just showing off their A's then wots the problem? They have worked really hard to achieve those marks!!
If they are not mocking ur own results, then wot is the problem?????

Some people my be upset for missing marks, so wot?
We shud comfort those who feel down, not MOCK them!
waiting2smile
I thought he was complaining about those who moan about not getting full marks, rather than being a mark off a grade. Not getting 90/90, and being upset about it is plain ridiculous.

Yes sorry, you are right.

However I would still link that post back to what I said early in a previous post about 'personal aims.'

Jay
Reply 22
Red
Please, this is getting ridiculous!!!!

So what if people want to "moan" about losing marks!!!
This forum allows people to speak freely and opening and to mock people for doing that is just sad!

If there are some people that are just showing off their A's then wots the problem? They have worked really hard to achieve those marks!!
If they are not mocking ur own results, then wot is the problem?????

Some people my be upset for missing marks, so wot?
We shud comfort those who feel down, not MOCK them!

Of course. May I point out, only one or two were mocking.
May I draw your attention to the s-cool.co.uk message board...

A Loser
A - Maths (600/600, top 5 in UK)
A - Further Maths (597/600)
A - Chemistry (581/600)
A - Physics (587/600)
A - Economics (572/600)
A - General Studies (512/600)
Distinction - Maths AEA
Distinction - Physics AEA
Merit - Economics AEA

I'm really gutted about not getting a Distinct. in Economics AEA... everyone's saying I'm being silly but really I feel like a failure, this is the first time I've not achieved the best grade in something... I'm not crying though, I've met my offer to do Mathematics at Oxford (Merton College).

Now time to start on my reading list! :-)
kingslaw
OK, I've got my a-level results and have really really stuffed up. I got AAAAAAAAA, but on a couple of papers I was one or two marks off full marks. I fear that I will be looked down upon by my friends, my family, my fellow stuck up ponces, and upon judgement day, my God.

Someone please tell me how amazingly intelligent I am and that everything will be OK.

Oh for goodness sakes! *puts his hand on his head and shakes his head in disbelief*
THE PROPHETOR!
Yes sorry, you are right.

However I would still link that post back to what I said early in a previous post about 'personal aims.'

Jay

I still think it’s quite silly and insignificant to be honest. What’s most important is that you tried your best, and that you’ve secured your place. I can understand someone being devastated missing out on their firm, however beyond disbelief that you’d feel it was the end of the world that you didn’t get full marks. At some point in your life you’ll face worse setbacks, so if you’re worrying about petty things like that now I dread to think how you’d cope.
Reply 26
Jools
May I draw your attention to the s-cool.co.uk message board...

Nice...there you see. He realises his grades are nothing to cry about, even though he didn't get the highest distinction thing.
kingslaw
OK, I've got my a-level results and have really really stuffed up. I got AAAAAAAAA, but on a couple of papers I was one or two marks off full marks. I fear that I will be looked down upon by my friends, my family, my fellow stuck up ponces, and upon judgement day, my God.

Someone please tell me how amazingly intelligent I am and that everything will be OK.

people do have a right to be disappointed with their results if they feel they could do better...for sum people a top a is wot they need and 'only an a' i s not good enough....dont start going on about how there r more inportant things in life cos even thought there r people r on this forum to moan about academic stuff...how would it sound, if david beckham had said after euro 2004, 'hey we got to the quarter final, quit moaning, at least u r not starving????' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
lgs98jonee
people do have a right to be disappointed with their results if they feel they could do better...for sum people a top a is wot they need and 'only an a' i s not good enough....dont start going on about how there r more inportant things in life cos even thought there r people r on this forum to moan about academic stuff...how would it sound, if david beckham had said after euro 2004, 'hey we got to the quarter final, quit moaning, at least u r not starving????' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes everyone has a right to complain, but we're talking about people who have done exceptionally well and yet feel absolutely devastated. If you can't cope with that minor dissapointment then...dear god, I'm going to start repeating myself. :rolleyes: Never mind. I won't reply to this thread again.
Reply 29
Red
To go on about your "rubbish" results (which I doubt someone of your mentality to ever achieve!!! Muppet!) is just sad BUT to then make mockery of the pain and suffering that is occuring in Sudan is just purely SICK!!

Actually I got AAAAA, so I didnt do that badly. I could complain about actually getting a B in one of my Economics papers, but I'm not going to because; a) Practically speaking, it makes no difference as I still got an A in that subject overall, and b) It'd be insensitive to make out that that minor fall is such a big deal, when people are absolutlely distraught about missing out on there university offers.

Yes people can show off there results if they worked hard for them, but that is what the "Results" thread is for. How do you think someone who worked bloody hard to get CCC feels when they read a post by someone bitterly complaining about missing on full UMS marks by one or two points??? It completely devalues their achievments. Its the equivalent of a complete slap in the face by the 'gifted' to the 'mere mortals'. I know for sure that if I had missed my university offer, and feeling sick/distraught/stupid I came on here perhaps looking for a little (well deserved) condolance (sp), having read posts complaining about the odd mark I would feel worse 10-fold.

Its all about gauging the situation. Being sensitive and tactful, and not assuming your always in a worse position as you may think.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not talking about when you miss a grade by a couple of UMS points, as I can definitely see how that can be infuriating.
Reply 30
THE PROPHETOR!
I understand and agree with your point. But even then if someone has an aim of getting AAAAA full marks, for instance, and is 1 mark off full marks, they are still going to be upset and annoyed about it. This forum is the best place to express it and ask for advice on their situation.

Although other people may believe that AAAAA is a great achievement, which it is, they still may be depressed because of not reaching their own personal goals...Not the 'general goal'.

Maybe this debate has gone too far...

Jay

Are you having a laugh? If someone gets depressed over not getting perfect scores etc then they need an almighty slap and withdrawal of their no doubt endless supply of 'daddy money'.
Reply 31
Oh yeah and since its semi relevant, I missed an A in History by 1 mark! :rolleyes: :frown: :biggrin:
Dajoruna
Are you having a laugh? If someone gets depressed over not getting perfect scores etc then they need an almighty slap and withdrawal of their no doubt endless supply of 'daddy money'.

Bitter and twisted you say? Honestly mate, some people are naturally better than you, sometimes in absolutely everything. And it has nothing to do with money, just natural ability. Get used to it.
And why shouldn't someone be annoyed at not getting their target. A person who can get 100% and doesn't has just as much right to be annoyed as someone who can get a C but only manages a D.
J
Reply 33
kingslaw

This is a wind up isnt it?

If not. Dont worry, im in a group of rocket scientists, there are like three of us who are normal... you know, were not stupid we get high marks, just not the TOP TOP marks. Dont worry about it, god, look what you got, be happy. Other people would kill to be in your shoes.
Reply 34
waiting2smile
I still think it’s quite silly and insignificant to be honest. What’s most important is that you tried your best, and that you’ve secured your place. I can understand someone being devastated missing out on their firm, however beyond disbelief that you’d feel it was the end of the world that you didn’t get full marks. At some point in your life you’ll face worse setbacks, so if you’re worrying about petty things like that now I dread to think how you’d cope.

hear hear :biggrin: and kingslaw too.
foolfarian
Bitter and twisted you say? Honestly mate, some people are naturally better than you, sometimes in absolutely everything. And it has nothing to do with money, just natural ability. Get used to it.
And why shouldn't someone be annoyed at not getting their target. A person who can get 100% and doesn't has just as much right to be annoyed as someone who can get a C but only manages a D.
J

I second that motion!!!

Jay
kingslaw

HAHAHAHAH that was great.
SsEe
I think people who get 599/600 are more pissed off than anything. They know they made one dippy mistake which cost them perfection.

In conclusion. My A level results (taken 4 years early):
AAAAAAAAaaaa
plus 6 distinctions in AEA and 3 S grades in STEP I,II,III

Do you think I'll be able to get into cambridge... I already have 2 degrees in natsci and music taken in 3 months when I was 8.

Hmmmmm....

:biggrin:

LOL
lgs98jonee
people do have a right to be disappointed with their results :

then tell them to keep it to themselves? damn i was proud of my two b's and an a which two of them were scraped beyond belief......

i've kind of kept it quiet because i know two b's and an a would be damn good in my sixth form..........

it has to be said, most people here are geeks or just lying out of their asses....... however, these geeks have done me no harm, whatsoever, so i'm not complaining
kingslaw

those grade are amazin mate - what subject? any univerisity iwll take you - oh for god sakes hardly anyone gets full marks so why are you complain. 1 mark of full is incredible. Please just don't be upset about it and realise you ARe extremely intelligent (and you know you are) Be PROUD of your results - they are fantasitc - uni's wont care if you were 1 mark of full! YOU HAVEN't STUFFED UP YOU HAVE DONE INCREDIBLY WELL, when i read the post i couldn't believe you were upset! I WOULD BE OVERJOYED! WELL DONE AND DON'T BE SO UPSET - UR LIFE IS NOT OVER - ITS JUST BEGUN WITTH THOSE AMAZIN GRADES! :smile:

HTH

Latest

Trending

Trending