The Student Room Group

How did you (or how are you planning to) decide which offer to accept?

I started and submitted all of my postgrad applications fairly early, most being submitted within the first week of the application openings. I am an international student, and was not sure how that would affect my chances. Therefore, I applied to 6 schools with similar postgraduate programs within the Humanities dept. I am extremely indecisive, so I almost hoped to only get a few offers.

Somehow, and I am extremely grateful and honored, I received offers for all 6! All of the programs sound fantastic, the faculty seem knowledgeable and my schooling is fully funded so money is not an issue. All of the schools are "ranked" very well, and even if they weren't that is not as much of an issue for me as my undergraduate degree was at no where prestigious but excelled because I enjoyed the subject.

Anyone have tips for factors to consider when choosing a program? Or any processes that worked for you?

Thank you ahead of time!
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by 8xrn0
I started and submitted all of my postgrad applications fairly early, most being submitted within the first week of the application openings. I am an international student, and was not sure how that would affect my chances. Therefore, I applied to 6 schools with similar postgraduate programs within the Humanities dept. I am extremely indecisive, so I almost hoped to only get a few offers.

Somehow, and I am extremely grateful and honored, I received offers for all 6! All of the programs sound fantastic, the faculty seem knowledgeable and my schooling is fully funded so money is not an issue. All of the schools are "ranked" very well, and even if they weren't that is not as much of an issue for me as my undergraduate degree was at no where prestigious but excelled because I enjoyed the subject.

Anyone have tips for factors to consider when choosing a program? Or any processes that worked for you?

Thank you ahead of time!

Congratulations on your multiple offers! Here are some quick tips:

Research Focus: Look into the specific research areas of the programs and see which aligns best with your interests and goals.

Faculty: Consider the expertise and reputation of the faculty members. Their work can significantly impact your learning experience.

Location: Think about the location of the school. Consider the lifestyle, cultural opportunities, and proximity to potential employers or industry hubs.

Career Support: Research the career services offered. Strong support in internships and job placements is crucial.

Student Life: Consider the overall student experience. Extracurricular activities and a supportive community can enhance your time at university.

Visit if Possible: If feasible, visit the campuses. It can give you a real sense of the atmosphere and help in your decision-making.

Network: Reach out to current students or alumni through social media. Their insights can be invaluable.

Trust your instincts and choose the program that feels right for your academic and personal growth. Best of luck!

Fatima
LSBU Rep
Reply 2
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Congratulations on your multiple offers! Here are some quick tips:

Research Focus: Look into the specific research areas of the programs and see which aligns best with your interests and goals.

Faculty: Consider the expertise and reputation of the faculty members. Their work can significantly impact your learning experience.

Location: Think about the location of the school. Consider the lifestyle, cultural opportunities, and proximity to potential employers or industry hubs.

Career Support: Research the career services offered. Strong support in internships and job placements is crucial.

Student Life: Consider the overall student experience. Extracurricular activities and a supportive community can enhance your time at university.

Visit if Possible: If feasible, visit the campuses. It can give you a real sense of the atmosphere and help in your decision-making.

Network: Reach out to current students or alumni through social media. Their insights can be invaluable.

Trust your instincts and choose the program that feels right for your academic and personal growth. Best of luck!

Fatima
LSBU Rep

That's all good advice! The hard part is I can't visit the campuses and trying to get a feeling for campus life is a bit more difficult online.
I applied to one place :tongue:
Original post by 8xrn0

Thank you ahead of time!

Hello 😊

Congratulations on all of your offers, that's an amazing achievement! I'm an international student as well, so I understand the struggle of choosing a specific offer over another one.

My best advice is for you to make a list of the pros and cons of each offer. First, look into the university itself, how's the campus, the course structure, the professors and campus and student life. Then, consider the city where the university is located, the transportation, cost of living and community lifestyle. After having your list, see which offer aligns better with your future goals.

I noticed that you've mentioned that you can't visit the campus and have a good look at campus life, so I suggest that you reach out to the university's social media and connect with current students. Usually, universities' accounts are filled with student content and students' points of view and experiences so it's easy to find many perspectives and opinions.

Personally, what made me choose the University of Surrey over another offer was the fact that it's a campus university over a city university. Since I have studied in both types of universities, I knew that I would prefer the peace, safety and community feeling that a campus university provides. Another factor was that, since I was moving internationally, I was a bit scared that I would have a big shock and feel overwhelmed so the university being located in a smaller town 40 minutes from London, made me feel safe and confident.

I hope this helps,
Jénifer
MSc Digital Marketing and Channel Management
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
I applied to one place :tongue:

I should have done that lol. I'm so overwhelmed
Reply 6
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hello 😊

Congratulations on all of your offers, that's an amazing achievement! I'm an international student as well, so I understand the struggle of choosing a specific offer over another one.

My best advice is for you to make a list of the pros and cons of each offer. First, look into the university itself, how's the campus, the course structure, the professors and campus and student life. Then, consider the city where the university is located, the transportation, cost of living and community lifestyle. After having your list, see which offer aligns better with your future goals.

I noticed that you've mentioned that you can't visit the campus and have a good look at campus life, so I suggest that you reach out to the university's social media and connect with current students. Usually, universities' accounts are filled with student content and students' points of view and experiences so it's easy to find many perspectives and opinions.

Personally, what made me choose the University of Surrey over another offer was the fact that it's a campus university over a city university. Since I have studied in both types of universities, I knew that I would prefer the peace, safety and community feeling that a campus university provides. Another factor was that, since I was moving internationally, I was a bit scared that I would have a big shock and feel overwhelmed so the university being located in a smaller town 40 minutes from London, made me feel safe and confident.

I hope this helps,
Jénifer
MSc Digital Marketing and Channel Management

This is super helpful! Thank you so much, Jénifer :smile:!!
Original post by 8xrn0
I should have done that lol. I'm so overwhelmed

To be fair, what I did is uncommon and wouldn't suit or be recommended to many younger students.

I was in a position where I knew exactly what I wanted to study & where and if they said no, I'd go and do something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending