The Student Room Group

Unblocking blocked ear with vacuum cleaner nozzle?

Hello,

I have had a blocked ear for the past week and it has not unblocked at all despite me applying olive oil ear drops twice a day.
Would holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle over my ear hole and switching the vacuum cleaner on suck the blockage out?
I am desperate, I am fed up of being partially death now and I can't even listen to my music properly.
Original post by Jessika300599
Hello,

I have had a blocked ear for the past week and it has not unblocked at all despite me applying olive oil ear drops twice a day.
Would holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle over my ear hole and switching the vacuum cleaner on suck the blockage out?
I am desperate, I am fed up of being partially death now and I can't even listen to my music properly.

I'm pretty sure that'd damage your ear drum... Have you tried going to your GP about this?
Hello,

I wouldn't recommend it...
Yes go for it

Jk dont wtf
Don't. Just don't.

Make an appointment at your GP to have your ears checked and medically cleared out (the now softened wax will make this easier).

You wouldnt try and clear constipation using a hoover would you. So why would you use it on something as fragile and sensitive as your EARS?

If it went wrong, you could end up fully death. :rip: Don't do it!
(edited 6 years ago)

might as well get the nurse at your GP surgery to do it professionally and for free imo.
Nope.go and see your GP/ nurse and they can see how bad the blockage is. They used to syringe, but thats unpopular these days.

https://beta.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax
Reply 9
Hello,

NO NO NO NO NO! You can permanently damage your ear drum and go deaf!

If olive oil drops have not sorted it you can buy a syringing kit (squirting water in your ear to flush out the softened wax) or book a syringing appt at your doctors surgery.
Original post by Kindred
NO NO NO NO NO! You can permanently damage your ear drum and go deaf!

If olive oil drops have not sorted it you can buy a syringing kit (squirting water in your ear to flush out the softened wax) or book a syringing appt at your doctors surgery.

Oh dear :s-smilie:. Would listening to music with headphones in make it worse? I am worried that it might have but I literally can't cope without listening to music every day.
Oh dear :s-smilie:. Would listening to music with headphones in make it worse? I am worried that it might have but I literally can't cope without listening to music every day.

Do you mean over ear or in ear headphones? In ear headphones aren't the best, but shouldn't do any damage. They may push any wax you have further in a bit. Over ear are fine.
Make sure with any type of headphones that the music isn't too loud.

You can still listen to music, but if you are using in ear you may want to switch to over. :smile:
Original post by jessika300599
hello,

i have had a blocked ear for the past week and it has not unblocked at all despite me applying olive oil ear drops twice a day.
I am desperate, i am fed up of being partially death now and i can't even listen to my music properly.

otex multi-combo works like a charm - u can get it at boots. I've also had blocked ears lately used it and i can hear again - shudda seen the amount of wax though - gross
Jheeeeeeeeze go for it, record it and post on youtube

Quick Reply

Latest