The Student Room Group

Step dad doesn't understand how hard sixth form and AS exams are

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Sinnie_
I've just had a quick look, I can see a web page about not being able to work too much when a postgrad (or at all, for a masters). Do you have a link to the info that says you can't work as an undergrad?

Part time work The University takes the view that our students should not work during term-time it's important that you have an appropriate work-life balance, and we offer a wide range of financial support to ensure you don't have to. However, there may be a few opportunities available within the University and Colleges that are an exception to this, such as working in the College bar, College library or as a student helper during open days.

from http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-finance/financial-support
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sophiegraceb
Part time work The University takes the view that our students should not work during term-time it's important that you have an appropriate work-life balance, and we offer a wide range of financial support to ensure you don't have to. However, there may be a few opportunities available within the University and Colleges that are an exception to this, such as working in the College bar, College library or as a student helper during open days.

from http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-finance/financial-support

That's worded very interestingly. "The University take the view that our students should not work" indicates that they don't think you should work but there is no a rule against it, mechanism for checking or intent to find out.

"There may be a few opportunities available... that are an exception to this". Exception to what? There is no rule.

They appear to have worded it as if it is a hard rule, but have never actually said you can not do it. Ultimately, as I said, they don't own you or your free time - you can do whatever you want. As in any other university, the onus is on you to balance your time and therefore only you can decide if you can make time for a job. It may not pay to advertise the fact that you have a job if you did so, but I don't think they would or could do anything about it if you did (unless it was clearly impacting your work).

Depending on the job, you might be able to do reduced hours in term time as well.
If your dad and your mom have agreed to pay, why would the step dad interfere?
I've had similar experience (except that he wanted me to choose another path in university), but I managed to convince my father and make him understand in the end.

Try to get closer to your stepdad, spend more time with him or something. Understand him, and make him understand you. It should happen as long as you two get close enough. I know this is gonna take some time, but it's worth giving it a try because it will benefit you in the long run.
Original post by PegasusTenma
If your dad and your mom have agreed to pay, why would the step dad interfere?

because he doesn't know my mum has told me this and he is trying to persuade her from doing so. me and my mum don't talk about uni stuff in front of my stepdad anymore after some of the more heated discussions that have occurred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending