The Student Room Group

PGCE loan repayment query

My son has a Bachelors degree loan, taken out in 2008, and now wants a PGCE loan, from Sept. 2017. He will be doing a School Direct PGCE course, which is full-time and he will spend 4 days each week in a school and 1 day in uni.

How does he pay the PGCE loan back?

Is it paid after.he has paid back all his first bachelor's loan, or does he start paying both loans back at the same time? If it is the former, does that mean that the PGCE loan is wiped out if he never gets to the end of paying back all his bachelor's loan?

I am finding it impossible to get an answer to these questions when I telephone Student Finance. I keep getting conflicting answers and being passed around various departments.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Original post by Strobbie
My son has a Bachelors degree loan, taken out in 2008, and now wants a PGCE loan, from Sept. 2017. He will be doing a School Direct PGCE course, which is full-time and he will spend 4 days each week in a school and 1 day in uni.

How does he pay the PGCE loan back?

Is it paid after.he has paid back all his first bachelor's loan, or does he start paying both loans back at the same time? If it is the former, does that mean that the PGCE loan is wiped out if he never gets to the end of paying back all his bachelor's loan?

I am finding it impossible to get an answer to these questions when I telephone Student Finance. I keep getting conflicting answers and being passed around various departments.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I've just had a quick nose on Google and found the following:
If you have Plan 1 and Plan 2 loans You still pay back 9% of your income over £17,775 a year. If you earn between £17,775 and £21,000, your payments only go towards your Plan 1 loan. If you earn over £21,000, your 9% payments go towards both your loans.

If you have Plan 1 and Plan 2 loans

You still pay back 9% of your income over £17,775 a year.
If you earn between £17,775 and £21,000, your payments only go towards your Plan 1 loan.
If you earn over £21,000, your 9% payments go towards both your loans.

From - https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay
Strobbie, Tiger Rag has it right. If you have both a Plan 1 and a Plan 2 loan, which based on the dates you gave, it sounds like your son has, both thresholds apply. Below £17775 nothing is repaid. From £17775 and £21000, only the Plan 1 loan is paid. Above £21000, both balances are paid off, but only a single 9% deduction is made, not two.

Does that make sense?
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've just had a quick nose on Google and found the following:

From - https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay

Tiger Rag,

Thank you so much for clarifying this. I suspected that there would be only a 9% repayment, but it was important to have that confirmed. I didn't know about the different thresholds, so that's useful to know.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Reply 4
Original post by Evan SFE
Strobbie, Tiger Rag has it right. If you have both a Plan 1 and a Plan 2 loan, which based on the dates you gave, it sounds like your son has, both thresholds apply. Below £17775 nothing is repaid. From £17775 and £21000, only the Plan 1 loan is paid. Above £21000, both balances are paid off, but only a single 9% deduction is made, not two.

Does that make sense?

Yes, Evan SFE, that makes perfect sense and I really appreciate your advice.
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending