The Student Room Group

Parents

I need a second opinion on a personal situation. Am I being unreasonable or is my father being unreasonable?

First, a little bit of background about my situation. I'm a 19 year old pakistani man and both my parents are pakistani but my mother was born in the UK. My parents divorced around the time I was 9 years old and I grew up with my mother with occassional visits from my father.
When I turned 13 my father remarried a woman from a pakistani village and he brung her to the UK to live with him.

Fast forward 5 years to when I was 18 years old, I started visiting my fathers house more often than usual. He told me to pretend that I haven't been in contact with him for the past 5 years because he doesn't want his new wife to know hes been seeing me because I live with my mother (who is his ex-wife). My father tells me his new wife has no problem with me but judging from their behaviour whilst I'm at their house, she doesn't accept me.

When I visit my dad at his house he acts like I'm a stranger and he behaves very cold to me. Doesn't shake my hand, doesn't offer me drinks, doesn't make any effort to talk to me or be a welcoming host to a guest, tells me to leave the living room to play with the kids, lectures me about religion (when I have no interest in being a zealot) - just overall treats me with disrespect as if hes disowned me.

Am I unreasonable for thinking its wrong to pretend you've not seen your son to please your new wife or is my dad being unreasonable?

Furthermore, the last time I visited my dad he told me I need to make his wife feel welcome around me. Its a little odd because its usually the other way around; the hosts making the guest feel welcome in their home.
Original post by ayyy2
I need a second opinion on a personal situation. Am I being unreasonable or is my father being unreasonable?

First, a little bit of background about my situation. I'm a 19 year old pakistani man and both my parents are pakistani but my mother was born in the UK. My parents divorced around the time I was 9 years old and I grew up with my mother with occassional visits from my father.
When I turned 13 my father remarried a woman from a pakistani village and he brung her to the UK to live with him.

Fast forward 5 years to when I was 18 years old, I started visiting my fathers house more often than usual. He told me to pretend that I haven't been in contact with him for the past 5 years because he doesn't want his new wife to know hes been seeing me because I live with my mother (who is his ex-wife). My father tells me his new wife has no problem with me but judging from their behaviour whilst I'm at their house, she doesn't accept me.

When I visit my dad at his house he acts like I'm a stranger and he behaves very cold to me. Doesn't shake my hand, doesn't offer me drinks, doesn't make any effort to talk to me or be a welcoming host to a guest, tells me to leave the living room to play with the kids, lectures me about religion (when I have no interest in being a zealot) - just overall treats me with disrespect as if hes disowned me.

Am I unreasonable for thinking its wrong to pretend you've not seen your son to please your new wife or is my dad being unreasonable?

Furthermore, the last time I visited my dad he told me I need to make his wife feel welcome around me. Its a little odd because its usually the other way around; the hosts making the guest feel welcome in their home.

Your Dad is being petulant and treating you like cr@p to further whatever his agenda with his new wife is.
This isn't what good parents do.

I'd call him out on it. If he is going to continue acting like an idiot then I'd be disinclined to see him. It's not like he's doing any actual parenting since you were 9.
sounds like he's being unreasonable and is more concerned about his wife than you. maybe stay away from him a bit more to make him realise how much you mean to him.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending