The Student Room Group

2nd year student Ive failed 2 things this year.... should i continue

hi all

Just looking for some advice, i failed my acutely ill exam after thinking i had done really well which was a massive blow, furthermore i failed an essay at the beginning of the year.

Its making me consider whether i am cut out for all this.

anyone got any advice?
I don't know anything about medicine so I can't give you any specific advice but I would say that if you're really passionate about it and that's what you want to do with your life then keep at it. If you haven't already try reaching out to people at your university, tell them you're struggling and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.
You got in to uni, didn't you? And completed your first year? You wouldn't have if the uni didn't have faith that you are likely to succeed, places are too limited for that. You are hardly the first and only person to fail aspects of the course, which is why the uni has resources allocated to help students. Hard part is admitting that help is needed, and seeking it out. You're definitely cut out for this, you just have some work to do to get back on track, but you can do it. It's not just the people who make zero mistakes that graduate, you're not doomed!
Reply 3
Original post by denver1994
hi all

Just looking for some advice, i failed my acutely ill exam after thinking i had done really well which was a massive blow, furthermore i failed an essay at the beginning of the year.

anyone got any advice?

You have to be really critical of yourself.

Are you working hard enough?

Are you engaging with the course enough?

Are you seeking help when you are struggling?
you cant finish this year until youve sorted those two fails out.
Reply 5
Original post by paulbarlow
you cant finish this year until youve sorted those two fails out.

No sh*t Sherlock
Reply 6
hi all

anyone got any advice?

First of all well done for getting through first year, it's hard going. I really wouldnt pack up shop over 2 fails. I know it's hard and very disheartening but you just have to learn from it and improve. These fails are no means you not being a good enough. It's simply just one of them things. Seek extra support from your university and get supervision. Chin up
well replied holmes. nice words. bu the student has waited to fix the problem. why was it not resolved at the time of failure. in our long distant past we had to pass everything. in each 6 month block. you were not allowed to continue with a fail on record. lots had to drop back 6 months or a year.
Reply 8
Original post by paulbarlow
well replied holmes. nice words. bu the student has waited to fix the problem. why was it not resolved at the time of failure. in our long distant past we had to pass everything. in each 6 month block. you were not allowed to continue with a fail on record. lots had to drop back 6 months or a year.

Yes, but Sherlock this is common knowledge. OP knows this.....hence the post
hi all

anyone got any advice?

@Charlotte49 what do you think?
hi all

anyone got any advice?

Honestly, if the university did not think you had the potential to improve, they would not be allowing you to continue on the course. Universities are very strict, especially in nursing.

Without being able to review your essays and exam results, it's hard to offer specific advice. I would strongly recommend having a look back at your results to work out where you have gone wrong, because generally if you are having multiple fails, there are one or two areas which could really do with some work, but once you've identified these, you can focus on setting things right.

If you are struggling to work out where you've gone wrong, try accessing your student support services, where there should be an academic advisor who can help you to make sense of the feedback you've been given. Your personal tutor may also be able to offer some advice after reviewing your results. This can be useful as they may be able to direct you towards some quick fixes.

It's important to remember what made you want to be a nurse and why you decided on this course in the first place. Consider the things you do well at, and the moments in your degree so far that you have enjoyed.

If you get some more feedback, feel free to quote me and I'll do my best to direct you to some resources.
have a look at a couple of good scoring essays borrow them from your cohort. compare it to your own. see if you can spot the areas that scored better there is a grid with a marking outline on most essays. dont ignore your refs mess them up and its 10% gone. get a proof reader. and make it presentable not one large lump of text. obviously get it in on time. if its a learning problem seek assistance. the marking does get harder as the course goes on so a decent 1st year essay is not really good enough for second. and wont do for a third year. and yes im stating the bleeding obvious an example http://lrt.mmu.ac.uk/traffic/files/2012/12/pass-descriptors.png
Reply 12
Hi all

Have received feedback regarding one of the essays and my academic style was not up to scratch and which i agreed with, and since that have received another essay back with a good mark of 65. in terms of the exam i cannot receive feedback until 5th July so its very much a wiating game.

Feeling pretty rubbish about it all but the advice does help so thank you

Denver
dont feel rubbish. you just need to learn what each tutor wants and pander to it. try and avoid descriptive essays. im bad at waffle use plans and colour code your sub topics. it helps sort your essays out.
Reply 14
Thanks again will defiantly use those tips to improve. I mean i must be able to do it i got 65 on my most recent essay.

Just wondered if anyone could help me with regards to my exam which i am still awaiting feedback for, it was a 20 multiple choice paper with 4 long answers which comprised of 20 marks each, 2 assessment and 2 management all for the acute illness module.

I scored 37 and needed 40 to pass and felt throughout the exam i knew everything.

has anyone else had a similar exam and any tips for next time round?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending