The Student Room Group

Anytime Fitness Gym Induction?!!!!? Anxiety fears

Ok so I spontaneously signed up to a free pass scheme they had going on thinking they'll just email me it and I'll go when I'm ready..

But, I got a call today and had to sign up to a session so it's tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I was so nervous I said I had been to a gym before but I haven't and I don't even want to go anymore. I have anxiety and I'm so scared. I wanted to go with a friend but it's too late now so basically what will happen? Someone please give me advice.

Should I wear gym clothes? How long will it be? Will they ask me questions? I feel like everyone will be staring at me!

I know people will think I'm overreacting but I'm genuinely anxious...
Bump (?)
Might help if this was in the right forum

wait it is, nvm
Wear gym gear.

An extremely bored member of staff will give you a half-arsed demonstration of how to use the equipment. It is just so that you don't sue them after you go flying off the back of the treadmill or drop a weight on your foot.

So there isn't much to fear.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
Wear gym gear.

An extremely bored member of staff will give you a half-arsed demonstration of how to use the equipment. It is just so that you don't sue them after you go flying off the back of the treadmill or drop a weight on your foot.

So there isn't much to fear.

Wow seems easy enough. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by BeatricePrior
Ok so I spontaneously signed up to a free pass scheme they had going on thinking they'll just email me it and I'll go when I'm ready..

But, I got a call today and had to sign up to a session so it's tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I was so nervous I said I had been to a gym before but I haven't and I don't even want to go anymore. I have anxiety and I'm so scared. I wanted to go with a friend but it's too late now so basically what will happen? Someone please give me advice.

Should I wear gym clothes? How long will it be? Will they ask me questions? I feel like everyone will be staring at me!

jesus, this is really nothing to worry about. Its literally just someone walking you around the building and asking if you know how to use the gym, and the machines they'll show you etc, and if you have any questions.

It doesn't matter what you wear, but I wouldn't go in a tux. Stick to some stylish workout pants/ some shorts and a casual look.

Don't overthink it.
Original post by nrjs96
jesus, this is really nothing to worry about. Its literally just someone walking you around the building and asking if you know how to use the gym, and the machines they'll show you etc, and if you have any questions.

It doesn't matter what you wear, but I wouldn't go in a tux. Stick to some stylish workout pants/ some shorts and a casual look.

Don't overthink it.

Ok I was over thinking this too much..
Reply 7
Ok I was over thinking this too much..

It's understandable, good luck with your fitness goals :smile:.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. A gym induction is literally someone showing you around the gym and explaining some basic rules to you, and will answer any questions if you have any. That's it. They might ask you what your goals are so then they can make an extra effort to show you the equipment you're most likely to use in more detail, but they're not there to test your knowledge or anything as inductors are basically told to assume that a new member knows nothing. Definitely won't need to wear gym clothes as you won't be doing any working out. You'll likely be in and out within 15 minutes.

You are overthinking it. The most important thing about the gym is showing up. Just show up, wearing whatever you want, and you're 75% there.

The rest will come naturally. Even if you have no idea what to wear at the gym, once you realize that it's hard to train in a dress and high heels, you can look around you and get a feel for what a person can wear at the gym. If you have no idea what to do at the gym, again, you can look around you, or go online, or ask here, or ask someone at the gym. etc. etc.

As long as you make a commitment to show up, you're on your way.

Nobody is staring at anybody at the gym, I don't know why people think that, but really nobody cares what you do.
Spotlight syndrome here

I'm sure the big guys at the gym only look at you more favourably given everyone in the gym is trying to better themselves.

And/or they don't care. They're focusing on their sets, listening to their music or chatting to their pals about plans for later etc. They are not chatting about you but if you're confidence is low you'll think they are. Nobody cares

Quick Reply

Latest