The Student Room Group

I hate my brother in law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I realise this may sound silly but I genuinely hate my brother in law. Him and my sister have been together for 5 years, married for 3 years. At first I thought he was great but over time he started making snide and hurtful comments to me and they have only gotten worse. I have mentioned it to my mum and dad a few times but they have just brushed it off.

I feel now as though I have finally reached breaking point. At the weekend we had a house warming party and we invited my sister and brother in law and some of their friends including his two best men. During the night I got a text from my brother in law and it was a picture of him and his two mates in my bed. When I looked over the whole group of them started laughing at me, there was probably about 8 of them and it made me feel really crap about myself. I know it was a house warming party and I have no problem with people going in my room to have a look around but I feel as though a line has been crossed by them getting in my bed and publicly mocking me about it.

I just feel as though this has gone on for ages now and being honest I feel as though it has started to affect my mental well being as I feel like I am being bullied. I have spoke to my mum and dad about it and they just brushed it off and I cant speak to my sister or him about is as they are the type of people who wont admit when they are in the wrong. I feel as though I have no one else to talk to and that's why I've come here, hopefully someone can help me.

Does he show any signs of attraction to you (srs question)? It could be that he secretly likes you but as he is married he cannot do much about it and in a way feels jealous that he can't have you so without much thought just does things to get in your hair. As dumb as this sounds I've seen this happen.
I think we need to focus on what you really want your sister and parents to realize? Or what you really want to do to make the situation better? That way we can focus on that.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I think we need to focus on what you really want your sister and parents to realize? Or what you really want to do to make the situation better? That way we can focus on that.

I want them to realise how this situation is affecting me but they don't seem to understand or want to listen.
Original post by Anonymous
I want them to realise how this situation is affecting me but they don't seem to understand or want to listen.

Can't you show them the picture he sent you? This way you could probably raise the situation. Be more upfront about it and tell them that it's really bothering you. If I was you I would probably start arguing to get my point across.
Basically you are being bullied, emotionally bullied, that is now considered a abuse. Why have a bully in your life and put up with abuse, your parents are ducking the issue. Maybe your sister is jealous of you, I don’t really know why you are being bullied. It is unacceptable. Narcissistic behaviour by him? You don’t need their approval, live your own life. Build up your own self esteem, be strong, surround yourself with people whose company you enjoy, Do not look for their approval or acceptance, you are great as you are, a beautiful caring person. You are on the cusp of living an independent life, an independent person, part of this involves breaking ties with family or old habits with family, painful at times I know. They seem intent on holding you back, don’t let them. Have a great life, don’t get put on as the victim by giving them power over you. It is time for you to start becoming your own parent, take back the power, nurture yourself. How do I know this, I had a very similar problem myself and needed lots and lots of support, which I got from wonderful friends. Initially the problem got worse, as my sister and brother tried to grab back power over me, now I have a wonderful partner after claiming back the power. If the behaviour returns at family occasions it looks odd and bizarre. My brother in law now can been quite nasty and controlling towards my sister and parents. I feel that is something they need to sort out themselves. I wish you all the love and luck in the world.. If possible get support, from college? I needed support, but I have come out the other side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending