The Student Room Group

Are there actually any decent paying jobs for 16 years olds?

It feels like many employers want to exploit teens and pay them very little compared to adults with the same experience.Are there any jobs that actually pay decently?
I can do cover letter writing, anything to do with writing, teaching children but I think most people want someone with a degree of some sort.If there are any jobs from home that would be great.
Reply 1
At 17, my first job paid just under £8 per hour. Retails, restaurants and bars seem to pay the best for under 21s
My first job was Homebase at 17 years old. I was on £4.72 an hour (junior rate). When I hit 18, I went up to around £6.80 an hour.
Usually depends on the company and their pay structure.
I am a tutor and have been since I was 16, and get paid £7.50 an hour. At first this was the rate my school were paying me, but then I started tutoring out of school and was earning £8 an hour. However, I suppose it depends on how much people in your local area are willing to pay. You could always apply to some online tutoring websites, and see how much their rate is.
Original post by ScienceWise2017
I am a tutor and have been since I was 16, and get paid £7.50 an hour. At first this was the rate my school were paying me, but then I started tutoring out of school and was earning £8 an hour. However, I suppose it depends on how much people in your local area are willing to pay. You could always apply to some online tutoring websites, and see how much their rate is.

Where can I find a job like this?What age group do you tutor and what subject?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502
It feels like many employers want to exploit teens and pay them very little compared to adults with the same experience.Are there any jobs that actually pay decently?
I can do cover letter writing, anything to do with writing, teaching children but I think most people want someone with a degree of some sort.If there are any jobs from home that would be great.

Also, everyone wants at least 12 months experience. How the **** are you meant to get experience of the only way to get experience is if you already have experience??!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Also, everyone wants at least 12 months experience. How the **** are you meant to get experience of the only way to get experience is if you already have experience??!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly!No wonder youth unemployment is high!
Original post by Anonymous1502
Where can I find a job like this?What age group do you tutor and what subject?

I just went on google and searched for tutoring websites, found one that I like the look of and clicked 'become a tutor'. I tutor in geography and chemistry, as I am taking them at A-level, I mainly tutor KS3 and those at GCSE.
Original post by ScienceWise2017
I just went on google and searched for tutoring websites, found one that I like the look of and clicked 'become a tutor'. I tutor in geography and chemistry, as I am taking them at A-level, I mainly tutor KS3 and those at GCSE.

I just finished my GCSE would many people want to employ me it feels like most people want people with degrees or in higher education despite it not being necessary as many people can teach ks3 but many parents cannot do so as English may not be their first language or they are just busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending