The Student Room Group

Good unis for History and Politics?

Hey, assuming you're at uni now. Any advice on which unis and preparation for history and politics? Thanks
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm in year 12 just beginning to consider potential unis to apply to, and I thought getting TSR's opinion might be a good idea:smile: I'm hoping to do joint honours history and politics hopefully leading to a teaching career, so I'm looking for somewhere where the course is quite interesting and varied and where the quality of teaching tends to be good. Obviously I'm doing my own research as well, but like I said I thought it would be good to get some info from the perspective of actual students:smile:

Hey I will be applying this October for History and Politics as well :smile: I am looking at Oxford, Glasgow and Edinburgh currently but I need to think about my other choices haha. I am an international student though so I'm just going by whatever I can gather online in terms of what seems like a good uni (I'm not too into partying and all that - would prefer a older place as well as small town rather than a city).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by examstressisreal
Hey, assuming you're at uni now. Any advice on which unis and preparation for history and politics? Thanks

Original post by transient life
Hey I will be applying this October for History and Politics as well :smile: I am looking at Oxford, Glasgow and Edinburgh currently but I need to think about my other choices haha. I am an international student though so I'm just going by whatever I can gather online in terms of what seems like a good uni (I'm not too into partying and all that - would prefer a older place as well as small town rather than a city).

Hi guys, I've moved your questions into a new thread (the thread you bumped was almost two years old :afraid:).

Lots of universities have good history and politics degrees; it really is just a question of doing research. What aspect of history are you interested in (modern, medieval, British, European, East European/Russian, American, Latin American, Asian, world, military, economic, or a pleasant mix of them all)? No one history degree (or politics degree, for that matter) is the same so it is vital that you look carefully at the module options.

Some names to consider: LSE, UCL (East European or History and Politics of the Americas), Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Durham (via Liberal Arts), Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Manchester, QMUL, Sheffield, SOAS (Asian, African and world history), St Andrews, Warwick and York.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Hi guys, I've moved your questions into a new thread (the thread you bumped was almost two years old :afraid:).

Geez thats old - didn't check the date, it was 'trending' when I posted haha.

Original post by Snufkin
Lots of universities have good history and politics degrees; it really is just a question of doing research. What aspect of history are you interested in (modern, medieval, British, European, East European/Russian, American, Latin American, Asian, world, military, economic, or a pleasant mix of them all)? No one history degree (or politics degree, for that matter) is the same so it is vital that you look carefully at the module options.

Some names to consider: LSE, UCL (East European or History and Politics of the Americas), Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Durham (via Liberal Arts), Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Manchester, QMUL, Sheffield, SOAS (Asian, African and world history), St Andrews, Warwick and York.

Are you also interested/ have done/ are doing a degree on History & Politics? :smile: I have looked at the module options at Oxford and they do sound interesting from what I can gather - I am quite interested in European History (as well as the Golden Age of Islam although this doesn't seem to be offered) and political philosophy. But I think for me the kind of environment the university has is as much important as the modules but it is quite difficult to understand which university I would like since I am an international student.
(edited 6 years ago)

Are you also interested/ have done/ are doing a degree on History & Politics? :smile: I have looked at the module options at Oxford and they do sound interesting from what I can gather - I am quite interested in European History (as well as the Golden Age of Islam although this doesn't seem to be offered) and political philosophy. But I think for me the kind of environment the university has is as much important as the modules but it is quite difficult to understand which university I would like since I am an international student.

Oxford is lovely and so is Birmigham! Birmingham also has a course in History and Political Science (I think), which you may be interested in.
Oxford, Warwick, Exeter, LSE I've heard are good for that.
I'm applying for H&P too. I like Nottingham, Warwick and Sheffield. Didn't like Leeds for it.
Original post by catherineoxley12
I'm applying for H&P too. I like Nottingham, Warwick and Sheffield. Didn't like Leeds for it.

Hey, thanks. What kind of grades are you looking at, and do you know if Nottingham and Sheffield are campus ??
Original post by examstressisreal
Hey, thanks. What kind of grades are you looking at, and do you know if Nottingham and Sheffield are campus ??

Nottingham and Shef are both campuses: Notts want AAA, Sheffield want AAB. Queen Mary's in London is supposed to be good too if you want a city uni, that's ABB I think.

Exeter have a good reputation for Middle Eastern Studies as well as History and Politics so you could do a module in that department. It's also a city with a lot of history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending