The Student Room Group

Student finance eligibiity

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows that answer to this

I did one years study with the Open University part time, and had SFE funding for that. It totalled about 5k or so... I started the second year but dropped out due to sickness. I dropped out before Dec so the tuition was refunded back to SFE, bar £625. The following year I thought to try again, but again, dropped out before Dec as by this point I just felt this style didn't suit me. Because I'd selected the same module as the previous year, they used the £625 credit from the last year towards tuition, and got the rest from SFE... then when I dropped out it was again refunded, though this time nothing was said about retaining £625, so can only presume it was not retained.

I know that SFE provide 4 years funding for full time students. But is it any different because of being part time and having dropped out (even though the moneys were refunded)? Would I still have 3 years of funding left if I ever decided I would like to go back to university?

I was going to call SFE to ask but now they are closed.. so just thought I'd see if anyone knew. If not then I will call to ask...

Thanks in advance for any help!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by donna-mh

I did one years study with the Open University part time, and had SFE funding for that. It totalled about 5k or so... I started the second year but dropped out due to sickness. I dropped out before Dec so the tuition was refunded back to SFE, bar £625. The following year I thought to try again, but again, dropped out before Dec as by this point I just felt this style didn't suit me. Because I'd selected the same module as the previous year, they used the £625 credit from the last year towards tuition, and got the rest from SFE... then when I dropped out it was again refunded, though this time nothing was said about retaining £625, so can only presume it was not retained.

I know that SFE provide 4 years funding for full time students. But is it any different because of being part time and having dropped out (even though the moneys were refunded)? Would I still have 3 years of funding left if I ever decided I would like to go back to university?

I was going to call SFE to ask but now they are closed.. so just thought I'd see if anyone knew. If not then I will call to ask...

Hi you get 16 years of part time funding.

Also the 4 years funding for full time students is incorrect :smile:
Original post by donna-mh

It can get rather complicated in terms of part time/full time, in terms of funding part time (TOU) only transfers into the full time (brick) uni's funding IF you got a qualification from TOU, what I mean by this is that if you got a certHE or anything similar then it will count as one year FT funding, if you didn't then you still have your whole full time funding available.

Saying that, even if you had 1 years funding taken, you could still do a degree at a brick uni as finance is calculated length of course + 1 - previous study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending