The Student Room Group

Taking maths and further maths next year

hi I'm currently in year 12 and just finished first year of a levels doing maths, physics and bio i really wanna do maths and physics at uni and highly regret not picking fmaths for a level so i plan on doing it next year on my own but i hear maths and further maths will be new spec so i would just like to clarify what that would mean in terms of the exams i have to take, textbooks i need to acquire, i also dont feel too good about my s1 exam so i feel like I'll need to be retaking that and would like to know if there will be any problems due to the new spec, if anyone can give me info or link me to where i could find info it would be much appreciated.
ps my exam board for maths is edexcel
Reply 1
Original post by Highdd
hi I'm currently in year 12 and just finished first year of a levels doing maths, physics and bio i really wanna do maths and physics at uni and highly regret not picking fmaths for a level so i plan on doing it next year on my own but i hear maths and further maths will be new spec so i would just like to clarify what that would mean in terms of the exams i have to take, textbooks i need to acquire, i also dont feel too good about my s1 exam so i feel like I'll need to be retaking that and would like to know if there will be any problems due to the new spec, if anyone can give me info or link me to where i could find info it would be much appreciated.

Because you are still in Year 12, you can do the old spec Maths and Further Maths.

I'm guessing you've done C1, C2, and S1.
If you want to complete maths and further maths, you need to do a total of 6 modules so 6 exams. You can ask your school probably to enter you in exams. However, that's quite a lot of stress to handle and I would recommended dropping biology if you do do maths and fm in Year 13
Original post by Highdd

You will not be affected by the the new specification. Year 13 students will be taking the current linear specification exams next year. You can take or resit any unit from the existing specification. It will be possible resit any unit in summer 2019 if required. You should talk to your maths staff about your plans and ask what exams will be offered at your school in case you need to find another centre to take some exams as a private candidate,

Year 12 students will be studying the new linear specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If I were to take a gap year where I apply to university after receiving next years a level results would the fact that I did old spec for maths be any problem? Considering I'll be applying at the same time as the current year 11s who did new spec gcse and will also be doing new spec maths
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Highdd
If I were to take a gap year where I apply to university after receiving next years a level results would the fact that I did old spec for maths be any problem? Considering I'll be applying at the same time as the current year 11s who did new spec gcse and will also be doing new spec maths

It shouldn't make any difference whether you have taken old spec or new one, your A level results are just an indicator of your aptitude for future study. You should contact your target universities and ask about a gap year, they are not always in favour of them and may want to know what you you are going to do to keep your skills and knowledge fresh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Highdd

Do you need further maths for the course? I think trying to do the full A2 further maths plus A2 maths is too much. After all, the A2 maths is much more important so you don't want to detract from that. I think you should try to do AS further maths if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending