The Student Room Group

Why aren't you openly allowed to be racist or sexist?

Isn't this freedom of speech. Why are we oppressing free speech?

Scroll to see replies

You're allowed to, but everyone who isn't a *****y human being will give you hate for having such a backwards way of thinking.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
You're allowed to, but everyone who is a *****y human being will give you hate for having such a backwards way of thinking.

I don't think you are though, look at Twitter. People are getting arrested for abusing people online. Surely this violates freedom of speech.

No one should take anything anyone says on the internet seriously, yet they go to the police for the smallest of issues.
Original post by luchee_ba
I don't think you are though, look at Twitter. People are getting arrested for abusing people online. Surely this violates freedom of speech.

No one should take anything anyone says on the internet seriously, yet they go to the police for the smallest of issues.

Twitter has it's own T&C's, they as a company don't want racists posting on their site, and I think they're completely justified to remove these people from their platform.

You're free to go out in public and spout your hate, but just remember that you can't hide behind a monitor if you do that.
(edited 6 years ago)
You are allowed to.

freedom of speech doesn't exist and it never should :smile:

There are laws strictly against hate speech.
The real question is why you want to be sexist, racist, etc. Yes, you can have your opinions, but your actions have consequences
You are allowed to be racist and sexist. But, you have to realise that hate speech has consequences.
Original post by babsxox
freedom of speech doesn't exist and it never should :smile:

is this sarcasm?
Welcome to leftist ideology, if u dont agree with me u must be silenced
Reply 11
Just as you have the right to openly declare that you are a sexist and a racist, others have the right to openly declare that they hate racists and sexists.

One man's freedom of speech is another man's...uhh...oppression.
Original post by pu$$y420
is this sarcasm?

no, total freedom of speech is unsustainable and excessive. boundaries are needed.
Original post by babsxox
no, total freedom of speech is unsustainable and excessive. boundaries are needed.

lmao

Freedom of speech doesn't exist in this country. We have freedom of expression which has limits that, if breached, are prosecutable.
You can be racist or sexist, but it is frown upon as the historical context of slavery and colonisation is still recent history at many parts of the globe.
you can say whatever you want but if what you say actively limits other people's freedoms, then that's wrong.
Because das rood man.
(edited 6 years ago)
You are allowed to. It's more about being a ****ing decent person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you like it on the side of a bus. Or even a white board for every one to see.

Yes we have freedom of speech,but there are lines set. If you cross them unlucky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending