The Student Room Group

A bridging course that helps new students?

Hiya,

After reading many of the threads on here it occurs to me that many mature students could do with some help to build their academic confidence before they start an HE course.

Therefore, I would like to ask what you think would be needed if such an 'online' course was created. It seems that many of you would like to be better prepared for study, so a course that improves skills to study seems relevant. Perhaps an introduction to the multimedia that HE courses tend to require would also be relevant. But what else would be important?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.
An on line resource may be useful for returning students. Access courses should go some way to preparing students for HE. I think maybe some additional training for teachers who teach matures, as at my college there is varying standards of teaching from our tutors. Some of the people on my course are lacking in skills and confidence, as a result this holds some of the rest of us back. This is where the tutors need to be made aware of varying skills and then take this in to account when planning work.

So all in all I think something that students can use along side their study, a resource that shows them how to lay out an essay, use applications such as power point (even word in some cases!) As for me these are the things that are slowing us down much of the lesson is spent explaining these things to some of the group, which aside from being time consuming, is actually irritating! It would be good if these students had somewhere online to look this stuff up.
Reply 2
manchestergirl
So all in all I think something that students can use along side their study, a resource that shows them how to lay out an essay, use applications such as power point (even word in some cases!) As for me these are the things that are slowing us down much of the lesson is spent explaining these things to some of the group, which aside from being time consuming, is actually irritating! It would be good if these students had somewhere online to look this stuff up.

Does your Access course not cover this in IT?
Reply 3
Really the only way to 'bridge that gap' is to write some essays and work from that. There are plenty of books available on academic writing etc.

But lets not forget we are mature students and have had some life experience. that is the key we have had situations where we have had to do something we have little knowledge about but we tend to just get on with it.

This is why we are so valuable to uni's they know that we won't be phased about many things and will see things through.

I don't think we give ourselves enough credit sometimes:wink:

A lot of younger students struggle with academic education too.
Reply 4
Universities often run sessions both for mature students and more general ones open to everyone, to help with IT issues, essay-writing skills, study techniques etc, especially at the start of the year.

Of course these are optional things which you can make use of as and when you need them :smile:
Reply 5
What I tend to believe is that its healthy to have a balance of mature and younger students however I feel its important for them to mix with each other.
Reply 6
Hmm, I agree with much that you have stated above and I am aware of the support given once you are there.

Access courses, despite 'what they say on the tin' often do not prepare people enough for HE and that is clear from what is written on other threads.

Getting back to the bridging course, you mention help with microsoft applications and help with essay writing. Is there anything else.

I ask as I might well be in a position to create said course next year if the funding comes through, so your thoughts are most welcome.
Reply 7
adm111
Getting back to the bridging course, you mention help with microsoft applications and help with essay writing. Is there anything else.

Perhaps something related to study/revision techniques, note taking etc. The style of note taking that you need at uni can be very different to that at a-level and so on, and some people can find it a bit difficult at first, either trying to take too many, or not taking enough.
Reply 8
Would this be an online / distance learning thing?

As I think it depends on the access courses that are running in your area. For example, where I am, theres 4 colleges running access courses and they are all different. One of them I know has a compulsory IT part but not specific help with essay writing etc and another course has a compulsory study skills subject which covers both of these and more (note taking, personal organisation, researching etc).
Celifein
Does your Access course not cover this in IT?

Everything is covered on our course but sadly some of the people on it want to be spoon fed, so for the people on my course I doubt they even think of looking for info themselves. i have no issue with people lacking in IT skills I do get a bit hacked off when they dont think for themselves though!!
Some people should really do a foundation access course to get them up to speed!! if they cant do that then they cant progress.

As you can probably guess, Ive had a day filled with idots today!
Reply 10
manchestergirl
Everything is covered on our course but sadly some of the people on it want to be spoon fed, so for the people on my course I doubt they even think of looking for info themselves. i have no issue with people lacking in IT skills I do get a bit hacked off when they dont think for themselves though!!

"Lesson 1: How to locate the Help feature."

It would make lessons 2 onwards much less painful for computer-phobes.
Reply 11
I think even if you do do an access course, the jump to HE can still be quite a shock. Well, that was my experience.

The course would be online an open to all new students.

Thanks to all you who contributed to the thread, its really helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending