Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bicycle collision with car at pedestrian crossing - who is at fault? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hope she has a dash cam and sues you hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukey67791)
    You know you are quite literally the reason motorists hate cyclists so much. You've shown flagrant disregard for the rules of the road, by your own admission causing an accident by crossing when you shouldn't have been. And then, rather than do the honourable thing and pay to repair the driver's car, you're trying to find a way to weasel out of it.
    ./

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaryK)
    I accept that I was at fault, we both were and i'm happy to take responsibility for what happened if it comes to it however the main reason for putting this thread up was to find out where I stand when some stranger messages me saying that she may be billing me for £500. I don't understand how insurance works and ultimately I don't care about pointing fingers towards who's to blame, all I really wanted to find out was what I do now and from what I can understand it's that her telling me to pay her and then me just handing over the money is not the way to go unsurprisingly.
    I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one here. But if I were in your shoes, I would have asked her to send me a quote for the repairs (or if you're worried about her overcharging you, get a quote yourself or wait for a receipt) and then paid them the money. The fact is, the only reason you set up this thread is to see if there was a way to get out of doing the right thing. Frankly, it's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaryK)
    I don't understand how insurance works and ultimately I don't care about pointing fingers towards who's to blame, all I really wanted to find out was what I do now and from what I can understand it's that her telling me to pay her and then me just handing over the money is not the way to go unsurprisingly.
    Actually, it is. You were at fault, so you need to put it right by paying for the consequences of your actions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That would be you causing the damage.
    There is insufficient evidence to prove OP caused the damage.

(Original post by IWMTom)
    Get the woman to have three quotes provided by different garages, and offer to split the bill 50/50 - then, be sure to contact her insurance company to inform them of the accident, because no doubt she will neglect to.
    Exactly this! And OP do make sure that her insurance is aware before you even think about paying her, do not let her get away without telling her insurance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I hope she has a dash cam and sues you hard
    Tbh this sounds very much like a 50/50 incident. She should've been concentrating on the road, not having a go at a pedestrian. Although OP was in the wrong, this incident IMO could've all been avoided if:

A.) The OP was to actually check the lights,

B.) She was to actually be looking where she was going to spot a developing hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    There is insufficient evidence to prove OP caused the damage.
    Perhaps you misunderstand the nature of evidence.

The OP has provided us with an eyewitness account of the incident in which the cause of the damage is perfectly clear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.