The Student Room Group

Want to change course - go through clearing or reapply?

Hi,

I have offers to study Philosophy and Politics, but have began to think that I'd prefer to study a Social Work BA. This course is not offered at my firm or insurance, so I cannot go to either university and ask to change.

I've thought about going through clearing for a Social Work place, however it looks as though this can be quite complicated. In the scenario that I achieve either one or both of my offers, I would then have to call the university and ask to be released from the contract. From what I've read this is a complex process, they may not agree even, and I may then miss out on clearing places.

Would another option then be to reject my offer, take a gap year, and reapply next year? I'm not overly struck on the idea of taking a gap year, as it would be another year of staying at home, I feel like I'd waste it and have nothing to show for it, and I'd just be a year behind my friends. I also don't feel very confident applying to university without the support of my sixth form, who have been really helpful with my application.

So I'm a bit stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what I can do in this situation.
Original post by vanderwoodsen
Hi,

I have offers to study Philosophy and Politics, but have began to think that I'd prefer to study a Social Work BA. This course is not offered at my firm or insurance, so I cannot go to either university and ask to change.

I've thought about going through clearing for a Social Work place, however it looks as though this can be quite complicated. In the scenario that I achieve either one or both of my offers, I would then have to call the university and ask to be released from the contract. From what I've read this is a complex process, they may not agree even, and I may then miss out on clearing places.

Would another option then be to reject my offer, take a gap year, and reapply next year? I'm not overly struck on the idea of taking a gap year, as it would be another year of staying at home, I feel like I'd waste it and have nothing to show for it, and I'd just be a year behind my friends. I also don't feel very confident applying to university without the support of my sixth form, who have been really helpful with my application.

So I'm a bit stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what I can do in this situation.

Although it's a bit difficult, as long as your university choice is quick about it getting put into clearing hopefully would just be one phonecall. If you re certain now then call them and tell them you d like to be put into clearing for results day. It's incredibly rare for a university to refuse to do it as they won't want someone who is going to drop out.
Original post by claireestelle
Although it's a bit difficult, as long as your university choice is quick about it getting put into clearing hopefully would just be one phonecall. If you re certain now then call them and tell them you d like to be put into clearing for results day. It's incredibly rare for a university to refuse to do it as they won't want someone who is going to drop out.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth calling up clearing now just to discuss my options, or should I just wait til results day?
Original post by vanderwoodsen
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth calling up clearing now just to discuss my options, or should I just wait til results day?

You can't call clearing options till you re released but you should tell your firm to release you now.
Original post by claireestelle
You can't call clearing options till you re released but you should tell your firm to release you now.

I am in a similar situation but I want to see whether I make the grades for adjustment before asking to be put into clearing.
Do I call up before and what do do I say ?
Original post by bobby147
I am in a similar situation but I want to see whether I make the grades for adjustment before asking to be put into clearing.
Do I call up before and what do do I say ?

You don't have to be released to use adjustment so if you think it's likely you ve exceeded your firm offer I d be tempted to consider waiting it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending