The Student Room Group

Rank these unis in order of reputation

My ranking is this

Bath
Lancaster
Surrey
UEA
Loughborough

Is there much between them eg will employers favour a candidate from one over another based on the uni?

Scroll to see replies

depends on you.

what do you want to do in the future?
Reply 2
Original post by ozilll
depends on you.

what do you want to do in the future?

I have no clue. The degree is History.
Original post by Gnatt27
My ranking is this

Bath
Lancaster
Surrey
UEA
Loughborough

Is there much between them eg will employers favour a candidate from one over another based on the uni?

Bath
Loughborough
Lancaster
Surrey
UEA
Reply 4
Original post by prostheticzeta
Bath
Loughborough
Lancaster
Surrey
UEA

Would you say there was much difference say between UEA and Lancaster to employers?
Lancaster
UEA
Loughborough

Neither Bath or Surrey even offer History.
Original post by Gnatt27
Would you say there was much difference say between UEA and Lancaster to employers?

both universities are really good, and they both tend to be lenient to students who miss their grades. in my opinion, employees wouldn't care much whether you would go to UEA or Lancaster as they would not see that much difference. I guess if you went to Edinburgh or Oxbridge (just an example) they might be more impressed as these Universities are more globally known. To me, Bath is just posh, Lancaster Surrey and Loughborough are for hard working students and UEA is just a good solid university.
it also depends what grade you get. If you got a 1st or a 2.1 , employers would probably take you , no matter which uni you went to. - graduate scheme entre requirements are usually 2.1. Choose a course which you feel will make you want to work hard, so that you do achieve that grade. also, employers would want experience, so make sure that the universities encourage work experience and have strong links with businesses for students to explore
Reply 7
Original post by iainvg
Lancaster
UEA
Loughborough

Neither Bath or Surrey even offer History.

Is there much difference between Lancaster and UEA employability wise?
Original post by Gnatt27
Is there much difference between Lancaster and UEA employability wise?

Once you've got a degree, not many people care where it's from, especially in generic degrees like history.
Reply 9
both universities are really good, and they both tend to be lenient to students who miss their grades. in my opinion, employees wouldn't care much whether you would go to UEA or Lancaster as they would not see that much difference. I guess if you went to Edinburgh or Oxbridge (just an example) they might be more impressed as these Universities are more globally known. To me, Bath is just posh, Lancaster Surrey and Loughborough are for hard working students and UEA is just a good solid university.
it also depends what grade you get. If you got a 1st or a 2.1 , employers would probably take you , no matter which uni you went to. - graduate scheme entre requirements are usually 2.1. Choose a course which you feel will make you want to work hard, so that you do achieve that grade. also, employers would want experience, so make sure that the universities encourage work experience and have strong links with businesses for students to explore

Thanks for the long reply. When you say Lancaster and others are for hard working students what do you mean by that?. Basically I have a complicated situation where UEA is my insurance but unis such as Lancaster and Loughborough are in clearing. If you could go to my thread titled "should I take the risk?" I explain it in detail but basically I'm debating whether to reject UEA go apply for one in clearing if I miss my firm.
Reply 10
Original post by iainvg
Once you've got a degree, not many people care where it's from, especially in generic degrees like history.

Ah okay thankyou
Original post by Gnatt27
Thanks for the long reply. When you say Lancaster and others are for hard working students what do you mean by that?. Basically I have a complicated situation where UEA is my insurance but unis such as Lancaster and Loughborough are in clearing. If you could go to my thread titled "should I take the risk?" I explain it in detail but basically I'm debating whether to reject UEA go apply for one in clearing if I miss my firm.

ive noticed that people get into UEA no matter what grades they get ( apart from medicine ofc) whilst in Lancaster and the other two I've mentioned, they do tend to take more dedicated students (Lancaster being the most lenient out of the three) tbf, I would go for Lancaster, they always have courses in clearing and I think it's a better uni. they also have much better accomodation. However, I don't know of Lancaster would accept you if you have done really badly on results day. so it's very 50/50
Original post by Gnatt27

No
Reply 13
ive noticed that people get into UEA no matter what grades they get ( apart from medicine ofc) whilst in Lancaster and the other two I've mentioned, they do tend to take more dedicated students (Lancaster being the most lenient out of the three) tbf, I would go for Lancaster, they always have courses in clearing and I think it's a better uni. they also have much better accomodation. However, I don't know of Lancaster would accept you if you have done really badly on results day. so it's very 50/50

I noticed that as well on the "miss my grades but got into uni thread" I don't think this is a particularly good sign as I was under the impression that the ARAB original entry requirements attracted very good students and meant it was a good uni but I see people getting accepted with BCC-CCC. I honestly feel like the absolute worst I would have done was ABC but I'm 90% sure I've got at least ABB. Considering Lancaster have places in clearing would they accept me with this? I don't want to go to a uni where people aren't going to really try at all and I've heard things go around like University of easy access (UEA). Also another person in a different thread said that if I chose to ask my insurance to release me into clearing I will lose my firm offer as well. Is this true?
Original post by Gnatt27
I noticed that as well on the "miss my grades but got into uni thread" I don't think this is a particularly good sign as I was under the impression that the ARAB original entry requirements attracted very good students and meant it was a good uni but I see people getting accepted with BCC-CCC. I honestly feel like the absolute worst I would have done was ABC but I'm 90% sure I've got at least ABB. Considering Lancaster have places in clearing would they accept me with this? I don't want to go to a uni where people aren't going to really try at all and I've heard things go around like University of easy access (UEA). Also another person in a different thread said that if I chose to ask my insurance to release me into clearing I will lose my firm offer as well. Is this true?

with ABC I think Lancaster would accept you! but that's just relying on other people experiences. Yes, that's right about the easy access hahaa. well we are actually in the same boat here. I had Durham as firm and Aston as insurance. I however rang up Aston as I didn't want to go there any more so they cancelled my offer and now I only have Durham. if I get rejected. I then go into clearing. so in reality, you can only go into clearing if you have no current offers
Reply 15
with ABC I think Lancaster would accept you! but that's just relying on other people experiences. Yes, that's right about the easy access hahaa. well we are actually in the same boat here. I had Durham as firm and Aston as insurance. I however rang up Aston as I didn't want to go there any more so they cancelled my offer and now I only have Durham. if I get rejected. I then go into clearing. so in reality, you can only go into clearing if you have no current offers

Ah okay , yeah are situations are similar. How easy was it to arrange for Aston to release you? How long did it take? If I had known that Lancaster and other good unis would be in clearing I would have probably tried putting them as my insurance knowing that I would likely have a reduced offer. UEA are in clearing for my course as well ha ha. So if I ask them to be released then Lancaster reject me could they take me back in clearing?
Original post by Gnatt27
My ranking is this

Bath
Lancaster
Surrey
UEA
Loughborough

You could 'rank' these yourself by collating a load of garbage league tables. That's all anybody else here will do for you, too.
Original post by Gnatt27
Ah okay , yeah are situations are similar. How easy was it to arrange for Aston to release you? How long did it take? If I had known that Lancaster and other good unis would be in clearing I would have probably tried putting them as my insurance knowing that I would likely have a reduced offer. UEA are in clearing for my course as well ha ha. So if I ask them to be released then Lancaster reject me could they take me back in clearing?

really easy. I emailed them to ask if they could release me. they gave me their phone number, I rang up told them that I didn't want them anymore and minutes later UCAS updated. what do you mean in your last sentence, sorry?
Reply 18
really easy. I emailed them to ask if they could release me. they gave me their phone number, I rang up told them that I didn't want them anymore and minutes later UCAS updated. what do you mean in your last sentence, sorry?

What I mean is like say for example if Aston was in clearing for your course would they accept you even after you rejected them as your insurance?
Original post by Gnatt27
What I mean is like say for example if Aston was in clearing for your course would they accept you even after you rejected them as your insurance?

oh! erm i actually have no idea lol. but I don't see why not. an application is an application at the end of the day! I would research into it if I were you tho, just to be on the safe side!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending