The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test 6 times, should I give up?

I've now failed my driving test 6 times. It just seems every time I do it there will always be something I fail on. Last time they said I was going too fast, this time they said I was going too slow.

I also failed because during the 6 point check when pulling off, when I looked to my right, I didn't look behind my shoulder, but rather to the right of me, which is what my instructor told me. Is that correct, should I have failed on that?

My mum actually says I drive much better than my sister who passed first time which is really annoying.

6 times seems ridiculous. Should I just give up?
Don't give up. Out of interest what area of the country are you in? Some areas have substantially lower overall pass rates than others, and it might be the case that if you take your test somewhere with higher pass rates you might be in with a better chance. Just an idea.
I can't say either way about your actual driving (just started theory), but my dad failed his driving test four times before he passed, and wanted to give up every time. While you've messed up a couple more times than him, there's still hope.

Maybe try a different school/instructor? Or even try a different area? Different envrionments might help you perform better
no seriously. DO NOT give up. Have faith in urself. You can do this!... Just keep practising and when ur ready take another test.. Keep trying mate. You know u can do this.

Good luck. x
Reply 4
i failed my test 4 times, and had about 17 months worth of lessons, and i genuinely felt so rubbish about the whole thing.
i know how it feels, to look at other people who can drive and wonder what they are doing that you are not. It makes you feel bad about yourself.
I passed, and if i can, anyone can, i was genuinely scared of driving. DO NOT give up, you will do it, and when you do, you will be so glad you never gave up.
It doesn't matter how many tests you have, how many you fail, or on which one you pass..because it will happen, and when it does, none of that stuff will even matter.
Original post by zigglr
I've now failed my driving test 6 times. It just seems every time I do it there will always be something I fail on. Last time they said I was going too fast, this time they said I was going too slow.

I also failed because during the 6 point check when pulling off, when I looked to my right, I didn't look behind my shoulder, but rather to the right of me, which is what my instructor told me. Is that correct, should I have failed on that?

My mum actually says I drive much better than my sister who passed first time which is really annoying.

If you really want to pass then never give up.

Good luck - I am sure you will get there!
Reply 6
why giving up? I failed 5x and passed recently. It is really damn frustrating and disappointing, due to time and money wasted. My last test i really told to myself that if I failed it 6th times I will change instructor or give myself a break until next year. So few days after my test, I made sure I wil not think about it and made myself busy with other things. I didn't even mentioned it to my friends that I am taking my test that day. I let my instructor watched me behind me during the test. I didn't took any silly 'kalms' tablet like others suggested to me before. Because my mind is totally out of the upcoming test, the night before it I slept soundly which I think help a lot to me specially on concentrating. Because I don't have a car to practice aside from the instructor's car, few days before the exam I mentally practice myself. What i did was everytime I got lift from a friends/relatives car or riding a bus. I pretend that I am the one who is driving that vehicle. So in my mind and in my hand, I synchronized the movement of my hand to the movement of the car. So if my friend car started to moved off, It plays in my mind what I am supposed to do to my car, and that help me in clucth control specially on the junctions and stop me from stalling the car.
Reply 7
1. Don't tell anyone else when you take the test, so when you pass you can just say you passed first time and not feel bad. I knw a few people who admitted (years after) to doing this!
2. Some people manage to pass too early and spend their lives being nervous and/or terrible drivers (my aunt and colleague are like this - one won't leave her hometown and the other quit driving entirely after two years due to panicking so much).
3. I lot of people say they pass their tests, but then actually learn to drive in the following year or so after that before they become confident. You are just doing that part with an instructor there with you. It's likely you'll be a far better drive from day one after you pass the test.
Reply 8
My dad passed on his seventh 😉

Just be careful and don’t panic. Also don’t do a testy too early - if you’re not ready to pass it you won’t. Give yourself all the time you need before you try again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
At least you can learn while you're young. I had to wait until I was unemployed before I could start lessons, as when I worked in the city I had to get a train at 7am every morning and didn't get home until 7-8pm and there were not instructors available locally at the weekends for months. Now I have to try and pass my test in the next few months before I can apply for a new job (since I need a car to actually get to all the jobs I'm being offered)! Don't give up now! It's so much easier to do when you are younger and you won't regret it!
Original post by zigglr

Absolutely not. I had to take both a written and driving test in Puerto Rico to get a new license, because my old one was nearly expired. Even though i'd been driving for >20 years, they wanted it to have 4 months or more to go to 'just swap it out'. I took the written test first, and got a 95%, despite the fact that it was in Spanish, and my Spanish is terrible. The proctor told me that people often fail the written test 15 or 20 times. Two other applicants verified that. One gal about 22 to 25 told her friend that she had failed 12 times. Her friend said not to worry, she had failed it 18 times. Hang in there, you'll get there. I'm glad i don't have to pass in the Uk. Doing it in Spanish was hard enough!!

Latest

Trending

Trending