The Student Room Group

DOES anybody GET FLOATERS nearly 24/7?

It's making me so depressed :frown: I am only 20 its not fair.
I do, I recently went to the opticians to get it checked out. Turns out it was nothing, but there is a strong risk of it being because your eye is damaged and degrading. I'd get it checked out if you hadn't already.
Reply 2
I have but ITS very depressing. Imagine not being able to see the world fully :frown:
excuse me for being uneducated but what's a floater?
Reply 4
Original post by CinnamonSmol

multiple thick ( ..can sometimes be thread-like) dots in your eyesight.
get shadows in my peripheral vision but idk if that's the same thing, it's not 24/7 either
goodluck anyway :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous

are they like white-ish?
It's making me so depressed :frown: I am only 20 its not fair.

Yes, since the age of 9.
Reply 8
are they like white-ish?

somtimes transparent often black-ish..
I've had one that's existed for as long as I remember, but it randomly became a lot more prominent when I was around 16. I don't notice it most of the time but occasionally I'll accidentally focus on it and then it'll be hours before I forget about it. Can be very annoying.

I also have a couple of smaller ones but they're so faint I don't really know them as, uh, "intimately" as the main one. :P

OH, I get them every so often but not 24/7, sorry I cant relate mate

If it's causing a problem, it may be worth seeing a doctor about it, I don't mean to worry you but it can be caused by a build up of fluid in your eye and they can remove it for you if it's serious

Always present thin lines and spots that are noticeable as if something is 'floating' just in front of ones field of vision. When you move your eyes to the sides and stop them abruptly, the floaters follow but do not stop immediately, they carry on moving for a bit in the same direction as the eyes.

More noticeable when looking at bright uniform things like the blue sky or a uniformly painted light coloured wall etc.

NB: not to be confused with persistent-jobbies that 'float' in the pan and simply won't flush away no matter how many times one flushes !
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Always present thin lines and spots that are noticeable as if something is 'floating' just in front of ones field of vision. When you move your eyes to the sides and stop them abruptly, the floaters follow but do not stop immediately, they carry on moving for a bit in the same direction as the eyes.

More noticeable when looking at bright uniform things like the blue sky or a uniformly painted light coloured wall etc.

NB: not to be confused with persistent-jobbies that 'float' in the pan and simply won't flush away no matter how many times one flushes !

not going to lie I thought OP was on about floating s**ts in the loo:colondollar:

Original post by thewinterstudent
I do, I recently went to the opticians to get it checked out. Turns out it was nothing, but there is a strong risk of it being because your eye is damaged and degrading. I'd get it checked out if you hadn't already.

I'm 16 and I've had them for years, not bothered that much - when I'm bored I just follow them
not going to lie I thought OP was on about floating s**ts in the loo:colondollar:

My thoughts on the thread title exactly.
Reply 16
The content of this thread is not what I expected.
If you're short sighted it is very common and nothing to worry about. Part of aging. Only time it should be a concern is if you see loads of them accompanied with light flashes and tunnel vision. But that is rare. Either way you should still get checked with an optician to be on the safe side.

Also if you think about it you will see it but if you don't then your brain gets used to filtering them out. Also being anxious makes you see them.

Quick Reply

Latest