The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

When do you start University?

On UCAS it says the 1st of September for Psychology but I'm seeing other dates and getting confused. Help? I don't know :frown:
Reply 1
Freshers Week is from 23rd September - 1st October. So it should be starting from 2nd October.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Faizul08
Freshers Week is from 23rd September - 1st October. So it should be starting from 2nd October.

I found that my programme starts on the 25th of September so is that when I officially start?
Plus, do I need to attend Welcome week or is it optional?
Reply 3
Original post by Ihonestlydk
I found that my programme starts on the 25th of September so is that when I officially start?
Plus, do I need to attend Welcome week or is it optional?

From the 25th of September you will be having Introduction to your course, modules and meeting your personal tutor. It's not compulsory (expect the personal tutor thing maybe because its important that they get to know you, since you meet only 2-3 times a year officially.)

Lectures will begin from the 2nd of October. If you go to https://cgoauth.surrey.ac.uk/idp/Authn/UserPassword you will know exactly when your lectures start and where/where they are being held. It will take a month for that to be updated so be on the lookout.

Regarding Welcome week, even though it's not compulsory (Don't know about your course) but it's a great way to meet your coursemates and get spend time getting to know the campus in general. Hope you have a good start at Surrey. Do let me know if you have any further questions that I hopefully can answer.
From the 25th of September you will be having Introduction to your course, modules and meeting your personal tutor. It's not compulsory (expect the personal tutor thing maybe because its important that they get to know you, since you meet only 2-3 times a year officially.)

Lectures will begin from the 2nd of October. If you go to https://cgoauth.surrey.ac.uk/idp/Authn/UserPassword you will know exactly when your lectures start and where/where they are being held. It will take a month for that to be updated so be on the lookout.

Regarding Welcome week, even though it's not compulsory (Don't know about your course) but it's a great way to meet your coursemates and get spend time getting to know the campus in general. Hope you have a good start at Surrey. Do let me know if you have any further questions that I hopefully can answer.

Thank you so much and I will be attending those days to get to know everyone and my surrounding so I know where to go. I'm studying Psychology and was wondering if Surrey is 5 days a week or less?

Plus, I'll be commuting from London to Surrey as my parents are really overprotective and don't trust me alone. I was wondering whether there is a way to get cheaper train tickets, I've heard of the 16-25 railcard but that only drops my price from £16 to £10 which is still expensive to be paying everyday! Unless I get a driving license and learn how to drive then this will be easier and cheaper but for now is there an alternative way or is the railcard the best option?
Reply 5
Thank you so much and I will be attending those days to get to know everyone and my surrounding so I know where to go. I'm studying Psychology and was wondering if Surrey is 5 days a week or less?

Plus, I'll be commuting from London to Surrey as my parents are really overprotective and don't trust me alone. I was wondering whether there is a way to get cheaper train tickets, I've heard of the 16-25 railcard but that only drops my price from £16 to £10 which is still expensive to be paying everyday! Unless I get a driving license and learn how to drive then this will be easier and cheaper but for now is there an alternative way or is the railcard the best option?

As far as I know most courses, if not all, are for 3-4 days. Wednesday is a off day or if there are any lectures then it only runs its 12:00 pm max. I know a person who is doing Psychology and she had quite a lot of days off. Will probably have to ask and double check.

Speaking of travel costs, I live in London and its £11.50 for me from home one-way, though I live in Guildford and go home only during the weekends, so you will probably pay somewhere in that range. Sadly, there aren't any train tickets cheaper than that but you could use National Express which is £6-7 for a trip with a NUS Card. However, you have to book at least 3 days in advance in order to avail the discount. You are probably better off living at Guildford, especially first year because the uni rents are cheaper and more economical than travelling.
As far as I know most courses, if not all, are for 3-4 days. Wednesday is a off day or if there are any lectures then it only runs its 12:00 pm max. I know a person who is doing Psychology and she had quite a lot of days off. Will probably have to ask and double check.

Speaking of travel costs, I live in London and its £11.50 for me from home one-way, though I live in Guildford and go home only during the weekends, so you will probably pay somewhere in that range. Sadly, there aren't any train tickets cheaper than that but you could use National Express which is £6-7 for a trip with a NUS Card. However, you have to book at least 3 days in advance in order to avail the discount. You are probably better off living at Guildford, especially first year because the uni rents are cheaper and more economical than travelling.

Thank you so much for your help and in terms of living in Guildford, I really want to but my parents are not allowing me. They are really protective and dont trust me alone and say that "you're still young". It's frustrating but the only way that will make them change their mind is the train tickets and the amount i'll be spending everyday which is around £30-40 a week so imagine a month... is says alot and my parents will somehow give up giving me money everyday.
Is the work hard too? Such as exams and coursework etc?
On UCAS it says the 1st of September for Psychology but I'm seeing other dates and getting confused. Help? I don't know :frown:

Hi @Ihonestlydk,

As Faizul said, welcome week begins on Monday 25th September and I would recommend attending as there are activities which will help you find your way around campus and discover where your teaching buildings are, as well as allowing you to meet your coursemates. Your lectures will start on Monday 2nd October :smile:

Regarding travel, definitely get a 16-25 railcard, it will save you lots if you're commuting by train every day.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 8
I'm a mum, so I hope it's ok for me to post. My daughter hasn't heard anything regarding a start date/ joining pack. She hasn't had time to email admissions as she is working all hours a t the moment bless her. Should we be worried ? Thanks.
Original post by Lynnedu
I'm a mum, so I hope it's ok for me to post. My daughter hasn't heard anything regarding a start date/ joining pack. She hasn't had time to email admissions as she is working all hours a t the moment bless her. Should we be worried ? Thanks.

Start date is on the 25th of September. She needs to get on the website and log in with the login that was sent on email.
Original post by Lynnedu

Hi @Lynnedu,

The Welcome emails are being sent out in the coming weeks, so your daughter will receive all the necessary details in that. I imagine it should be sent out by the end of next week :smile:

In the meantime, she can visit our Welcome Week website here. On this site, she'll be able to create her Welcome Week timetable by inputting details like the course she's studying, where she's going to be living etc. More information about the registration process is also given on the website, but - just to warn you - she may not be able to complete some steps until she receives the Welcome email from the admissions team.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 11
Much too late
Original post by Lynnedu

@Lynnedu - Also meant to add that moving-in weekend for those living on campus takes place on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th September (you'll be able to choose a day whilst doing the online registration), with Freshers' Week beginning on Monday 25th September. Lectures will begin on Monday 2nd October :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 13
Original post by University of Surrey
@Lynnedu - Also meant to add that moving-in weekend for those living on campus takes place on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th September (you'll be able to choose a day whilst doing the online registration), with Freshers' Week beginning on Monday 25th September. Lectures will begin on Monday 2nd October :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you. That sets my mind at rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending