The Student Room Group

should i bother applying to oxford??

gg
(edited 5 years ago)
If you have a very good application and an interview (if you make it that far) you should be fine, but expect stiff competition!
Amazing academia! I think those grades will be just fine. Good luck!
Original post by gb201202
i want to do earth sciences at oxford, my gcses are really good: 10 A*s, but my AS levels are AABB in maths physics chemistry and biology, however im predicted A*AA which are the required grades for Earth Science?

Sounds like you have a good chance of getting in! PLUS even if you don't, you may as well just apply and see what they say, you don't want to look back in a couple of years and think "what if?". Think about it, it's literally just a bunch of strangers who will be looking over your application soo even if you are are unsuccessful, it's not like its a huge embarrassment.
Seriously, if you're worried about embarrassment after possibly not getting in, the only person you'll realistically have to tell is your guidance teacher, after that it's all YOUR DECISION
Reply 4
Original post by December126
Sounds like you have a good chance of getting in! PLUS even if you don't, you may as well just apply and see what they say, you don't want to look back in a couple of years and think "what if?". Think about it, it's literally just a bunch of strangers who will be looking over your application soo even if you are are unsuccessful, it's not like its a huge embarrassment.
Seriously, if you're worried about embarrassment after possibly not getting in, the only person you'll realistically have to tell is your guidance teacher, after that it's all YOUR DECISION

thankyou! yeh i was just doubtful over the 2 B's i got at AS but i think ill definitely apply
i want to do earth sciences at oxford, my gcses are really good: 10 A*s, but my AS levels are AABB in maths physics chemistry and biology, however im predicted A*AA which are the required grades for Earth Science?

Yes, you should definitely apply. You have a good chance IMO. Good luck!

Apply, you could be a viable applicant, but I will also tag a Oxford College AT into this. @BrasenoseAdm, any views on the OP's case for Earth Science Admission?
I don't think a couple of Bs at AS will necessarily impact your chances, after all, that's what conditional offers are for - @Plagioclase what do you think?
It's likely that you will get an interview, and then it depends on how you do in the interview. I know people on the course with those AS grades. I imagine that most people will be applying with higher AS grades but I wouldn't have thought that it'd significantly alter your chances if the rest of your application is very good.
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Apply, you could be a viable applicant, but I will also tag a Oxford College AT into this. @BrasenoseAdm, any views on the OP's case for Earth Science Admission?

We don't offer Earth Sciences and so have no direct experience of admissions for this course but on general grounds agree that an application would certainly be worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending