The Student Room Group

The real problem with tuition fees.

So this is quite a weird one but basically I was having a conversation with a student on a train regarding tuition fees a few weeks back and I responded with some arguments which missed some vital points and I have now had time to reflect on which raises some significant problems with our current system.

So I can break down the arguments but basically to avoid a ten page essay he argued that students should not have to pay their own tuition fees when I argued that they absolutely should. However where the conversation gets interesting is he argued that tuition fees were to high to which I responded I cant comment because I would have to see the university costs for students and etc.

However whilst this would be true I think it misses the issue that not all degrees are equal, some degrees cost a lot more resources or finances to offer then others. Whilst there will be many degree programs at institutions where I would have little idea regarding value for money and the costs there are also some programs where it is immediately obvious that the degree is over priced or under priced.

For example one university I spoke to offers 3 hours of lectures a week for a maths degree, no seminars and if you want or need extra help or support you need to make an appointment request in advance with the maths lecturer. This is in the first year in the second and third year your expected to be more of an independent learner.

Their tuition fees are of course way to high and provide little value for what is been paid. compare this to Cambridge who have supervisions of of 1 to 3 students per tutor 4 times a week I think it is then regular lectures and all the other benefits. Cambridge should be charging more then the £9250.

Now I am not simply putting this down to the reputation of universities just these two were the two that most stood out. I am pretty sure we could find examples where in terms of value for money a Russel group or two falls below universities that most here would look down on. my point is simply not all degrees provide the same value for money or have the same costs so degrees all been priced the same seems wrong.

Then we also have the degree programs some courses cost a lot more to provide then others.

The problem is universities can all charge high fees because supply and demand is skewed. Since the vast majority of students in this country get their funds from student finance loans few have the same discerning eyes. If it is their own finances that students or their parents have to pay then surely people would be more discerning on price and value but since it is effectively free for now. Universities can charge the max because they can get the max.

Now for me self financing if say for example the university that offered only 3 hours of lectures a week was charging only £1000 tuition fees a year versus £9250 else where their could well be an argument for me picking the cheaper option. Though personally I am glad I am not going to that university the point still stands.

The problem is obvious though if we removed the financing and let universities have free discretion to decide their own fees poorer students could not afford the programs that offered the better prospects or value.

However with student finance and degree programs been funded by state loans universities have no risk in raising tuition fees so will always decide to charge the maximum they can. If they could get away with it they would go the way of the US and end up charging £40,000 a year tuition fees because whilst a normal family could never afford this if it is all done on government funded loans why not?

I don't claim to have the solutions but I think this is the real elephant in the room for tuition fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending