The Student Room Group

Will my maths grade be detrimental in an Oxford application?

I have just taken my GCSEs and my results were not as expected.

I anticipated having 5A*s, 4As, and 4Bs, at least.

However I collected my results and only achieved 2A*s, 3As, and 6Bs.

I am having three remarked, which are the 3As, which are VERY close to going up to A*s. So I will probably be looking at 5A*s, 1A, and 6Bs.

I got a 5 in maths, which is between a C and a B, but I was on the top end of a 5 so I am calling it a B.

I want to study Law, and there is no doubt in my mind that I can do it, my As and A*s were in Media Studies, English Lit (grade 9), English Lang, History, and RE. So I am good at the subjects which have the relevant skills. However, I believe that Oxford will frown upon my other results and I won't get an offer.

I know everyone will tell me that they are not good enough, or that they are at least not in my favour, but I have a lot planned for college, and I will work as hard as I can to get brilliant AS predicted grades, hopefully exceeding their AAA requirement.

My personal statement will be written excellently, since my dad is very good at writing and he will guide me, as well as it being my natural skill-set. I have a lot of books I plan on reading, clubs like debate club etc, I have a leadership programme I went on which had only 70 people in the entire country which was led by Olympic coaches and sports lecturers. There are many more things I intend on doing to spruce up my application also.

So, hypothetically, if I get at least AAA at A-level (English Lit/Philosophy/History), have an excellent personal statement, score well on the LNAT, and survive the interview, do I stand a chance?
I wouldn't say the maths results specifically would be an issue but you should be aware that, even with 5A*, 1A, 6B, your GCSE results would be at the lower end for a typically successful applicant, particularly for a competitive subject like law.

If you are a UK applicant your GCSE results will be looked at in the context of your school, so if these results are among the best in your year group you will stand a better chance.

That said, the only way you definitely won't get in is if you don't apply. You have 5 UCAS choices so there's no reason not to put Oxford in as one of your 'reach' choices alongside some safer options.

You'll find lots more discussion in the specific Oxford forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14
Original post by Indigo&Violet
I wouldn't say the maths results specifically would be an issue but you should be aware that, even with 5A*, 1A, 6B, your GCSE results would be at the lower end for a typically successful applicant, particularly for a competitive subject like law.

If you are a UK applicant your GCSE results will be looked at in the context of your school, so if these results are among the best in your year group you will stand a better chance.

That said, the only way you definitely won't get in is if you don't apply. You have 5 UCAS choices so there's no reason not to put Oxford in as one of your 'reach' choices alongside some safer options.

You'll find lots more discussion in the specific Oxford forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Okay I will definitely check the other forum, thanks for clearing things up :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending