The Student Room Group

Anxiety and Lectures

For the past couple of years at uni I have struggled with really bad anxiety surrounding lectures and i struggle to go to most of them.

I've started a new year now and my anxiety feels worse than ever and I can't bring myself to go to any. I work really hard outside of lectures and still achieve decent grades. Is there anything that can be put in place for me? I don't want to drop out of uni I just want to attend it without having to go to most of my lectures? Really stressed about this :frown: I'm not being lazy and get so so upset that i can't easily attend lectures, I would love to as I love learning about my course, I just find it so difficult to :frown:
Original post by geographer123
For the past couple of years at uni I have struggled with really bad anxiety surrounding lectures and i struggle to go to most of them.

I've started a new year now and my anxiety feels worse than ever and I can't bring myself to go to any. I work really hard outside of lectures and still achieve decent grades. Is there anything that can be put in place for me? I don't want to drop out of uni I just want to attend it without having to go to most of my lectures? Really stressed about this :frown: I'm not being lazy and get so so upset that i can't easily attend lectures, I would love to as I love learning about my course, I just find it so difficult to :frown:

speak to your student support team, they might be able to offer you some sort of support or reduced attendance requirements.
I know how you feel. I am starting my postgraduate and already missed my introductory class because my anxiety was just uncontrollable. I get the works when bad, shakes, dizzy, disorientated, brain fog etc etc, and even when not, I still have physical symptoms all day. Fatigue and headaches being the worst when trying to focus in lecture. Sometimes it's like being in a drunken state, it's scary. Sometimes struggle just getting to uni though panic states, let alone getting through 3 lectures in the day!First off, don't panic. Anxiety fuels are thoughts into overdrive, last week I convinced myself I was going to fail because I couldn't even make it to a class!. Calm down, take a step back and rationalize. This is important. There are two options you can go down really. Seeking GP help to see if there is anything they can suggest to help you manage your anxiety (therapy and medication). Propranolol has helped me dramatically to calm down. Next, speak to your uni. They should have a student support system in place to help you tackle this issue. Counseling through uni will be a lot faster than NHS and CBT or therapy helps a lot. Also, they can advise on what is best to do with you course. Trust that they have probably dealt with countless of students in the same shoes. They will know exactly what to do and how to make the course work for you.Last year, they offered to record my lecturers using a webcasting service so I could watch it in my own time if I missed it. The only downside is you miss discussions, but you get the context behind the power point slides at least. Anxiety is horrendous and I do feel for you. Hope something works out.
Original post by TDEvans21
I know how you feel. I am starting my postgraduate and already missed my introductory class because my anxiety was just uncontrollable. I get the works when bad, shakes, dizzy, disorientated, brain fog etc etc, and even when not, I still have physical symptoms all day. Fatigue and headaches being the worst when trying to focus in lecture. Sometimes it's like being in a drunken state, it's scary. Sometimes struggle just getting to uni though panic states, let alone getting through 3 lectures in the day!First off, don't panic. Anxiety fuels are thoughts into overdrive, last week I convinced myself I was going to fail because I couldn't even make it to a class!. Calm down, take a step back and rationalize. This is important. There are two options you can go down really. Seeking GP help to see if there is anything they can suggest to help you manage your anxiety (therapy and medication). Propranolol has helped me dramatically to calm down. Next, speak to your uni. They should have a student support system in place to help you tackle this issue. Counseling through uni will be a lot faster than NHS and CBT or therapy helps a lot. Also, they can advise on what is best to do with you course. Trust that they have probably dealt with countless of students in the same shoes. They will know exactly what to do and how to make the course work for you.Last year, they offered to record my lecturers using a webcasting service so I could watch it in my own time if I missed it. The only downside is you miss discussions, but you get the context behind the power point slides at least. Anxiety is horrendous and I do feel for you. Hope something works out.

wow poor formatting. so sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending