The Student Room Group

Afraid to go into uni alone tomorrow, advice?

I'm afraid of being alone, I don't fit in with my coursemates and they think I'm weird on top of that I'm no longer friends with a coursemate who I lived with last year due to my friends not getting on with her, it became stressful so I just stopped talking to her. I'm just afraid to feel like an outcast to everyone and for my ex friend to also give them a reason to dislike me due to not talking to her.

What can I do? if I turn up to early to the lecture there might be people there that I don't actually talk to
You're overthinking it. Just go in, you're at uni for a lot more than friends. You really need to attend.

Talk to some new people. It's really not that big of a deal. It's only awkward and a big deal if YOU make it into one, so don't.
Try to make new friends. You can start talking to people about the course or their holidays, and what they have done. You can also ask them about the things they have been up to or the workload etc.
It would also be good to talk about popular TV shows that aired during the holidays or the news.
You should be the one to make the first move, even if it feels uncomfortable at first. After a while, you'll be able to have natural conversations with many friends
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
You're overthinking it. Just go in, you're at uni for a lot more than friends. You really need to attend.

Talk to some new people. It's really not that big of a deal. It's only awkward and a big deal if YOU make it into one, so don't.

You're right, you sound like my friend from back home.

Original post by Unnamed User
Try to make new friends. You can start talking to people about the course or their holidays, and what they have done. You can also ask them about the things they have been up to or the workload etc.
It would also be good to talk about popular TV shows that aired during the holidays or the news.
You should be the one to make the first move, even if it feels uncomfortable at first. After a while, you'll be able to have natural conversations with many friends

Yeah if I see anyone I spoke to last year I'll talk to them
Reply 4
The best thing to do is to turn up few minutes yet (10/15 minutes), try to start a conversation with someone.

Or you could turn up on/two minute late and sit next to someone. Start conversation about the work during the break etc.

The main point is you’re at university to learn, not make friends. It is always nice to have a social circle though, you’re over thinking this. Majority of people at university are friendly (from what I’ve seen).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending