The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
he insisted, I didnt choose the food. he was the one that spoke to the waitress. I only got tap water and a starter, he kept adding on but said he wasnt hungry when the food came. like i said, i dont care that he didnt pay, he was just really weird about it.

Hmm that is weird, tbh if that happened to me I'd be pissed off.
I'd stop dating him, seems like a bit of a ****.
You could either call it quits for him deliberately misleading you and making you pay £100 😂 Or you could go on a second date, it seems like he has a sense of humour, could be the start of a quite banterous relationship
I went out with this guy who seemed really nice and funny. I wasn't really up for it but he insisted so I went along with it. He kept asking me to order more (wine, dessert etc) which was a bit full on but it was fine (free food, right). At the end of the date the total was 120 and he wanted me to pay for what I got and for him to pay for his. This usually would be completely fine but guess what? HE ONLY GOT AN ENTREE! So I ended up paying about 100 quid including service charge.

I just don't understand what he's playing at. He is the one who practically begged me to go out with him to some annoying fancy place and then he hardly wants to eat anything but is ordering me all sorts. My friends say to ditch him but I can't help thinking that's a bit shallow. He was nice to look at though lol

Because you were plastered in cheap make up and watch netflix 8 hours a day and he wanted nothing to do with you.
Original post by MrDoggyPants
The way I see it, you got yourself into this mess.
I'm not saying he's not to blame at all but you need to realise that you assumed he was going to pay.
Yes he may have said it was "his treat" but he didn't specifically say he was going to pay for you. In addition, you ordered expensive dishes without catching on that he only ordered a starter so that's on you.
Did you not feel like you were being a bit too greedy when you ordered food 5 times more expensive than his?

This:

he insisted, I didnt choose the food. he was the one that spoke to the waitress. I only got tap water and a starter, he kept adding on but said he wasnt hungry when the food came. like i said, i dont care that he didnt pay, he was just really weird about it.

So actually if he is the one that ordered it, pretty sure that legally he is the one that would have to pay.
Original post by yudothis
This:
So actually if he is the one that ordered it, pretty sure that legally he is the one that would have to pay.

Yeah I got quoted in that already, see:

Hmm that is weird, tbh if that happened to me I'd be pissed off.
I'd stop dating him, seems like a bit of a ****.
Original post by Acend1992
Because you were plastered in cheap make up and watch netflix 8 hours a day and he wanted nothing to do with you.

I don't wear makeup or have time to watch netflix, cute assumption though xxxx
Original post by Masstech
You are making things up, The OP did not say that he said it was his treat.

Go read the page again..he did say that.
I went out with this guy who seemed really nice and funny. I wasn't really up for it but he insisted so I went along with it. He kept asking me to order more (wine, dessert etc) which was a bit full on but it was fine (free food, right). At the end of the date the total was 120 and he wanted me to pay for what I got and for him to pay for his. This usually would be completely fine but guess what? HE ONLY GOT AN ENTREE! So I ended up paying about 100 quid including service charge.

I just don't understand what he's playing at. He is the one who practically begged me to go out with him to some annoying fancy place and then he hardly wants to eat anything but is ordering me all sorts. My friends say to ditch him but I can't help thinking that's a bit shallow. He was nice to look at though lol

I would say split it but it seems like he was there for free food.
Reply 48
normally I'd be saying you women always wanted equality and that includes paying your half of the bill too on occasion, ..but after listening to the story it appears like he deliberately mislead you into thinking he was paying and then encouraged you to run up a large tally whilst keeping his small knowing full well you'd be shelling out a lot of money

he sounds like he's playing games.

dump him.
you like what he looks like, so ask him for **** pics?

that way you dont have to pay for dates
Lmao rekt. I bet you gave off some feminist vibes so he wanted to slap you with some equality.

He probably clocked on that you were the type of girl that expected him to pay for everything.

I doubt he likes you. Sounds like he's trying to piss you off lol.
(edited 6 years ago)

I agree with your friends, you need to ditch him. Why date a man who can't afford you? Don't waste your time on a second date and it's not about being shallow, it's about knowing your worth. When a man asks YOU on a date, he needs to pay and the fact that he kept encouraging you to order more and he only had an entree? that's messed up, at least he could've offered to pay half?? but he didn't even do that so I say he's not worth it.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lmao rekt. I bet you gave off some feminist vibes so he wanted to slap you with some equality.

He probably clocked on that you were the type of girl that expected him to pay for everything.

I doubt he likes you. Sounds like he's trying to piss you off lol.

I am not a feminist

I don't expect to be paid for

I think he is just a weird little man.

you should forget him because he isn't a gentlemen at all , i mean it's maybe your first date with him he isn't your boyfriend that you can pay for him sooo forget him
Original post by Masstech
But he didn't say 'my treat' or that he would pay for everything.

He said precisely that.
The way I see it, you got yourself into this mess.
I'm not saying he's not to blame at all but you need to realise that you assumed he was going to pay.
Yes he may have said it was "his treat" but he didn't specifically say he was going to pay for you. In addition, you ordered expensive dishes without catching on that he only ordered a starter so that's on you.
Did you not feel like you were being a bit too greedy when you ordered food 5 times more expensive than his?

Do you honestly not know what the phrase "my treat" means?

OP, can you please do what the other poster suggested, and go out for a second meal and then pretend to go to the toilets and do a runner?

It was be so satisfying if you did.

Original post by ChickenMadness
Lmao rekt. I bet you gave off some feminist vibes so he wanted to slap you with some equality. He probably clocked on that you were the type of girl that expected him to pay for everything. I doubt he likes you. Sounds like he's trying to piss you off lol.

How many fedoras do you own?
(edited 6 years ago)
This is just the FIRST date, you know, the one where the guy is usually acting his best trying to impress the girl. If he's like this now then what will he be like when he actually gets really comfortable around you. He was very misleading, end it and save yourself the struggle. There are plenty of guys out there that both look good and act decent.
How odd.
Original post by Salt Queen
One date we were at the till and I dug in my purse and he says, "don't you dare pay and embarrass me." I literally stood there like wide eyes and blushing and didn't pay lol

Another time they brought the bill to our table and I took the receipt and he snatched it from me...

You realise all that really means is that the man dating you was so restricted by his inflated sense of self and rigid masculinity that he would feel insecure if you paid your way ? It's not flattering it's just a reflection on him and his insecurities.

Maybe you want that kind of man who feels like the only way he can win your affection is by lavishing you with gifts or you want a wetwipe who lets you walk all over him, neither are the type of guy who make good long term partners.

In the grand scheme of things, not paying for your dates good on the first date is really really minimal and if you make decisions made on that of all things you're an imbecile.
To the women on here who are confused why he didn't pay the whole bill, you do realise it's 2017 right ?

Long gone are the days when men would do anything to impress a woman and rightly so, for why should a man have to leap through hoops to win over a woman as if she's some sort of prize. Isn't that objectification ? You do realise having a vagina doesn't make you that special ? Men can get literally get casual sex delivered to their front door now so if you expect a man to wine and dine you, maybe it's time to think about what you're offering in return

I don't think it's THAT ridiculous to expect your date to turn up with enough to pay her own bill and there are much more criteria she should be worrying about

Latest

Trending

Trending