The Student Room Group

St George A101 (GEM) Graduate Medicine 2018 entry

I couldn’t find a post on the forums for St George, so here it is! UCAS deadline is on Sunday and I’m almost ready to submit

What degrees are you all applying from?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seez
I couldn’t find a post on the forums for St George, so here it is! UCAS deadline is on Sunday and I’m almost ready to submit

What degrees are you all applying from?

Hi, thanks for setting this up for St George's! :smile:
I'm also applying for Nottingham & Swansea (A101) - graduated in BSc Psychology with a 2:1 in 2015. How about you?
Reply 2
Original post by medscoolhopeful
Hi, thanks for setting this up for St George's! :smile:
I'm also applying for Nottingham & Swansea (A101) - graduated in BSc Psychology with a 2:1 in 2015. How about you?

No problem! I graduated this year with an MPharm, currently doing a registration year in a hospital to be a pharmacist.
I am also applying for Notts, Swansea & St George as A101!
How was GAMSAT for you, did you do it in September?
Original post by Seez
No problem! I graduated this year with an MPharm, currently doing a registration year in a hospital to be a pharmacist.
I am also applying for Notts, Swansea & St George as A101!
How was GAMSAT for you, did you do it in September?

Oh nice, that's really cool! I'm currently working as a 999 call handler in the ambulance service, are you enjoying your work in the hospital so far?

I did my GAMSAT in March (previously did it in September 2016 but messed up Section 3) - this time I got 57 overall calculated the GAMSAT way, and 60 calculated from (S1 + S2 + S3 / 3). Not an impressive result, but hopefully enough to be considered for an interview/waitlisted. Did you do it in Sept, how did you find it? Do you have a favourite so far out of the 3 uni's?
Reply 4
Original post by medscoolhopeful
Oh nice, that's really cool! I'm currently working as a 999 call handler in the ambulance service, are you enjoying your work in the hospital so far?

I did my GAMSAT in March (previously did it in September 2016 but messed up Section 3) - this time I got 57 overall calculated the GAMSAT way, and 60 calculated from (S1 + S2 + S3 / 3). Not an impressive result, but hopefully enough to be considered for an interview/waitlisted. Did you do it in Sept, how did you find it? Do you have a favourite so far out of the 3 uni's?

That is really interesting! The hospital is enjoyable but we’re quite limited on what we can do, as pre-registration and even extends to pharmacists (esp. early stages).

Yeh I did the GAMSAT back in March got an overall of 61, which I’m hoping is enough. Judging from your score, I assume you did better in S1/2? Btw, your score is good and will undoubtedly land you some interviews, wishing you the best.
I was speaking to a few medical students at Notts’ open day and I found quite a few with GAMSAT of around 59-61 which was good to know.
Also, because of this open day, Notts is my fav so far, just based on the friendliness (also it’s close proximity to where I live). I also liked their anatomy setup. However, I haven’t seen the other unis, I just heard St George’s have a rough interview personnel. What’s your favourite?
Original post by Seez
That is really interesting! The hospital is enjoyable but we’re quite limited on what we can do, as pre-registration and even extends to pharmacists (esp. early stages).

Yeh I did the GAMSAT back in March got an overall of 61, which I’m hoping is enough. Judging from your score, I assume you did better in S1/2? Btw, your score is good and will undoubtedly land you some interviews, wishing you the best.
I was speaking to a few medical students at Notts’ open day and I found quite a few with GAMSAT of around 59-61 which was good to know.
Also, because of this open day, Notts is my fav so far, just based on the friendliness (also it’s close proximity to where I live). I also liked their anatomy setup. However, I haven’t seen the other unis, I just heard St George’s have a rough interview personnel. What’s your favourite?

Well it sounds like amazing experience either way, medical schools will love that!

Congrats on such a strong GAMSAT score, from previous stats it sounds like you will definitely get interviews - I might be a bit borderline but fingers crossed. Yeah: section 1: 59, section 2: 72, section 3: 50.

Yeah I really like Nottingham too and Swansea due to location, but I’d be so happy with either! St. George’s wouldn’t be an ideal location & yeah I’ve heard the interviews are intense (also I don’t think my GAMSAT result will be high enough for an interview there).
Really hope you’re successful, hope we hear back quickly as well - haha I’m so eager this year as my GAMSAT was a deal breaker last time.
Reply 6
Hi I've also applied to St. George's, Nottingham and Swansea for 2028 entry (A101)
I'm in my final year doing Bsc Social Psychology currently on a 1st
Got 60 overall in the GAMSAT but took it again in September to see if I can do better but hoping it's enough for St. George's
Has anyone else had an email from Nottingham today?
Also is there a thread on here particularly for Nottingham?
Reply 7
Original post by elhb97
Hi I've also applied to St. George's, Nottingham and Swansea for 2028 entry (A101)
I'm in my final year doing Bsc Social Psychology currently on a 1st
Got 60 overall in the GAMSAT but took it again in September to see if I can do better but hoping it's enough for St. George's
Has anyone else had an email from Nottingham today?
Also is there a thread on here particularly for Nottingham?

Hi!
Yess there’s a Notts Thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4604880&page=4

Wow we basically applied to same unis, best of luck! How was the September Exam?
Reply 8
Original post by Seez
Hi!
Yess there’s a Notts Thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4604880&page=4

Wow we basically applied to same unis, best of luck! How was the September Exam?

Just joined the Notts thread seems like a lot of people got the email I got today

Yeah I've applied to Keele as my 4th choice but A100
Really not sure how September exam went we get our results around 8th November I think, section 2 went well I think but not sure about section 1 or 3, but in March I thought I did awful and turns out I got 60 overall so did better than I thought
Reply 9
I’m applying from a Biology degree, 2:1 and 65 in GAMSAT. Good luck everyone!
Reply 10
Original post by avodoc
I’m applying from a Biology degree, 2:1 and 65 in GAMSAT. Good luck everyone!

Great score, congrats! Where else did you apply?
Well done everyone! My score was: S1 - 58, S2 - 68, S3 - 70. Overall - 67 I have a 2:1 in Diagnostic Radiography and I've been working for a little over a year in a major trauma centre. I also have around 7/8 days of surgical assistant experience, orthopaedic clinic shadowing (helping to examine patients and ask diagnostic questions) and I was recruited to a research project at my trust by one of the consultants. I'm hoping that these things are enough to at least get me to interview! I'm worried that my experience is too 'allied health' specific and they might ask more in depth questions about distinguishing my passion between Radiography and medicine.
Reply 12
Original post by Seez
Great score, congrats! Where else did you apply?

Thank you!

I applied to Newcastle, Nottingham and Swansea as well!

How about you?
Reply 13
Original post by RadStudent2016
Well done everyone! My score was: S1 - 58, S2 - 68, S3 - 70. Overall - 67 I have a 2:1 in Diagnostic Radiography and I've been working for a little over a year in a major trauma centre. I also have around 7/8 days of surgical assistant experience, orthopaedic clinic shadowing (helping to examine patients and ask diagnostic questions) and I was recruited to a research project at my trust by one of the consultants. I'm hoping that these things are enough to at least get me to interview! I'm worried that my experience is too 'allied health' specific and they might ask more in depth questions about distinguishing my passion between Radiography and medicine.

Great score! Yes that’s a slight problem. I also come from another healthcare professional as a pharmacist. We need to be very clear in our description! I reckon this is especially the case at places that don’t use MMI as an interviewing method, such as Swansea.

Where else did you apply?
Reply 14
Original post by avodoc
Thank you!

I applied to Newcastle, Nottingham and Swansea as well!

How about you?

Very similar except Exeter > Newcastle
Were you able to get a good amount of work experience whilst studying?
Original post by Seez
Great score! Yes that’s a slight problem. I also come from another healthcare professional as a pharmacist. We need to be very clear in our description! I reckon this is especially the case at places that don’t use MMI as an interviewing method, such as Swansea.

Where else did you apply?

I'm hoping that my work experience outside of Radiography will cover this aspect. I applied to St George's, Nottingham and Queen Mary's. Where did you apply?
Reply 16
Original post by Seez
Very similar except Exeter > Newcastle
Were you able to get a good amount of work experience whilst studying?

I actually graduated in 2014 and have been working with health tech startup businesses since then. Through my job I have managed to shadow doctors and work with patients. I am also a befriender for the elderly and volunteer for an organisation that supports women in STEM careers.

Reading through the threads on here I feel like my experience isn’t quite as extensive as others but I’m hoping that fact that its a bit different it might interest them. Who knows though, the whole process feels so mysterious!
Reply 17
On the other SGUL thread someone has just posted that the cut off is 59. You can see it on their website: https://sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs-graduate-entry/entry-criteria
Reply 18
I scored 58, God damn :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by avodoc
On the other SGUL thread someone has just posted that the cut off is 59. You can see it on their website: https://sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs-graduate-entry/entry-criteria

Oh congrats guys!

Quick Reply

Latest