The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Scared to move 4 hours away to uni

I'm planning on going to either Swansea or Cardiff in 2018. I'm so scared as it's so far away from home, and I'm scared of meeting new people, like what if I live with people who don't like me??? I want to do mental health nursing and stay in wales for the bursary but only 4 universities do it n they're all around 4 hours away. I'm veryyyy nervous help!!
Reply 1
Peace to you, and I hope you will allow me to say your fear and apprehension is normal. Travel broadens one's scope, or as Mark Twain once said "travel is fatal, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need on this account." (may not be his exact quote, going off the top of my head, but I think its pretty close) I realize that 4 hours is not "international travel"-but it certainly is a step forward. I studied 1600km away from my parents for my uni years, and then was even further away for my study of law in law school, so I know what its like to be away from family, and be in a place where you don't know a single soul. But I would encourage you to embrace this challenge, accept the apprehension, remember-you will be able to Facetime/Skype, go home to visit on breaks and vacations. (which will make it all that much more worthwhile)

We don't often think of it this way-but coming to birth is a painful process. As painful as it is for the mother-think over the pain the child goes through-whether its emerging from the womb, or even just the pain of some new strange reality-the fear, coming forth into the unknown. Think over where that larvae starts off from, before it becomes the beautiful butterfly-with those wings to carry it to many a new place. So coming to "birth"-metaphorically speaking, taking upon something new, going to a new place, undertaking study away from the wheelhouse of your familiarity-its natural to have those apprehensions-many a student less talented than yourself has had those same concerns-yet they made it, and so can you.

So, if the program you want is further away than you'd like, please consider that as a beckoning, a calling forth to you, to take you on a journey into something new, and along the way of that journey, you will mature and grow into things you could not possibly imagine, met new people, ready yourself to take on new challenges-and all of a sudden, see the world as part of a larger palette, a canvas upon which you will be drawing and constructing your life. I'd only be a bit worried about you NOT having any fear or apprehension-or those butterflies...its a normal thing, just don't let it paralyze you from moving forward. May Allah/God bless you in your studies towards fulfillment of your goals. :smile:

Original post by naomimackayy
I'm planning on going to either Swansea or Cardiff in 2018. I'm so scared as it's so far away from home, and I'm scared of meeting new people, like what if I live with people who don't like me??? I want to do mental health nursing and stay in wales for the bursary but only 4 universities do it n they're all around 4 hours away. I'm veryyyy nervous help!!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I do Adult Nursing at Cardiff having moved from just north of London and can thoroughly recommend it. You will struggle at first, but you can always travel home for the weekend quite easily as Cardiff is very well connected to the rest of the UK. They're also working on the train lines over Christmas so the journey times are becoming even shorter.
I'm happy to try and answer any questions you may have about the Nursing course or Cardiff as a city/university as I have lived here for just over 2 years now :h: It's a tough decision but one you need to be happy with and aids you in the long run.
Original post by naomimackayy
I'm planning on going to either Swansea or Cardiff in 2018. I'm so scared as it's so far away from home, and I'm scared of meeting new people, like what if I live with people who don't like me??? I want to do mental health nursing
and stay in wales for the bursary but only 4 universities do it n they're all around 4 hours away. I'm veryyyy nervous help!!

Cardiff is a smal city , very friendly , it’s not like you going to London , second your problem is unknown peoples in general as I notice , well event so you always have the choice to keep for yourself if you like , the rooms here are cheap and you get your own room in a nice small house for around 300£/month , I lived in a place called Cathays 10 mn walk from where they studies nursing ( I notice theme going every day ), very quite area , nearly like a village and 20 mn walk to city centre only ( Cardiff is a small city ), now regarding going away from your family , well I think it’s time you get used to it , you can’t just stay with your family all your life !!!! You will get a job or get married one day , I am from a very conservative family , and I know what is like , but sometime you have to go , so get on with it , you will stile go to your family every three months so .

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending