The Student Room Group

Bath, Exeter and Leeds students - help please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by beaverhausen
Haha London isn't so bad. It's where I grew up so I have soft spot for it. Central London is slowly getting prettier to look at haha.

In case you missed the point I later edited in my response:

a side note, Bath offers a placement year with all courses and depending on the course a year abroad. So you can get a break in-between your time at Bath to live somewhere else. I am currently back in London on placement. I have friends who are in Reading, Bristol, Manchester, Boston (America), Cardiff and many other places whilst they are on placement. My housemate is currently in Nicaragua, whilst others are in Spain, France, Belgium etc. It is course dependent, but I think it's pretty great that you can take a year out from living in Bath and live somewhere else and work. You don't get this opportunity at every university.

That sounds amazing! How much support do you receive for finding placements? And also, do they help you with things such as accomodation in your chosen place? If they do I will probably use that opportunity to explore someplace new (if I decide to go to Bath) but if they don't my best bet will probably be to return to London.
Reply 41
Original post by Doonesbury
Why?

You have until 15th Jan to make these choices. And the main thing is to pick the *course* you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had to submit my application in for early entry (15th October) and I was given a week in track to change my options. Everything feels rushed, so I'm trying to gain more honest opinions through TSR and I've received a lot of help which I'm extremely glad for! The courses seem fairly similar at most of my uni's, so right now I'm trying to decide on a county which might be suitable for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Confuseeed
I had to submit my application in for early entry (15th October) and I was given a week in track to change my options. Everything feels rushed, so I'm trying to gain more honest opinions through TSR and I've received a lot of help which I'm extremely glad for! The courses seem fairly similar at most of my uni's, so right now I'm trying to decide on a county which might be suitable for me.

As you probably now know, you only had to apply to Oxbridge (or med schools) by the Oct deadline. You could have left the other choices blank and added them later, before 15th Jan... Indeed it can be a good strategy to hold back at least one untik after you get your Oxbidge decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paging the disgruntled Exeter drop-out for his unbiased view on Exeter.

Let's see what this turns up. I am sure it will be a glowing recommendation.
That sounds amazing! How much support do you receive for finding placements? And also, do they help you with things such as accomodation in your chosen place? If they do I will probably use that opportunity to explore someplace new (if I decide to go to Bath) but if they don't my best bet will probably be to return to London.

Hi! There is a dedicated placement officer for each department, the careers service is also very useful in providing CV tips and mock interviews. The university has a number of contact in industries due to their expertise in delivering placement years for students. The support doesn't end when you go on placement either. If you are based in the UK you will get a visit from a department staff member who will check things are going okay and you will also continue to have access to university services such as the library. Placement years have a reduced fee which is currently £1800 and you may also continue to get a maintenance loan depending on the level of pay you receive on placement.

In terms of finding accommodation it will be up to you, same as it would be if you were finding accommodation for your later years at university. However, the university does provide you with sites you can use to find accommodation, as well as helpful tips if you are moving somewhere you're not familiar with. You can also buddy up with other people going on placement who will be in the same city/location as facebook groups are usually created near the end of second year. Some placements also offer support with helping you find accommodation. You can also ask previous placement year students where they looked/lived whilst they were on placement.
Reply 45
As you probably now know, you only had to apply to Oxbridge (or med schools) by the Oct deadline. You could have left the other choices blank and added them later, before 15th Jan... Indeed it can be a good strategy to hold back at least one untik after you get your Oxbidge decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was not aware of this, and my teacher told me that I had to submit all of my applications that day. This is quite annoying, is there anything I can do about it right now? Can I remove my options and add them at a later date or is it too late to do so?
Reply 46
Original post by beaverhausen
Hi! There is a dedicated placement officer for each department, the careers service is also very useful in providing CV tips and mock interviews. The university has a number of contact in industries due to their expertise in delivering placement years for students. The support doesn't end when you go on placement either. If you are based in the UK you will get a visit from a department staff member who will check things are going okay and you will also continue to have access to university services such as the library. Placement years have a reduced fee which is currently £1800 and you may also continue to get a maintenance loan depending on the level of pay you receive on placement.

In terms of finding accommodation it will be up to you, same as it would be if you were finding accommodation for your later years at university. However, the university does provide you with sites you can use to find accommodation, as well as helpful tips if you are moving somewhere you're not familiar with. You can also buddy up with other people going on placement who will be in the same city/location as facebook groups are usually created near the end of second year. Some placements also offer support with helping you find accommodation. You can also ask previous placement year students where they looked/lived whilst they were on placement.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 47
I was not aware of this, and my teacher told me that I had to submit all of my applications that day. This is quite annoying, is there anything I can do about it right now? Can I remove my options and add them at a later date or is it too late to do so?

I don't know if you can remove your non-Oxbridge choices and add new ones later, but calling UCAS would be an idea.

Thoughts @PQ ?

I don't know if you can remove your non-Oxbridge choices and add new ones later, but calling UCAS would be an idea.

Thoughts @PQ ?

You can’t undo a choice once it’s made. There’s 7 days to substitute on Track and a further 7 days to substitute by calling ucas. But substitution means swapping a choice not removing it altogether.
Reply 49
Original post by PQ
You can’t undo a choice once it’s made. There’s 7 days to substitute on Track and a further 7 days to substitute by calling ucas. But substitution means swapping a choice not removing it altogether.

Thought not. And thanks for confirming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Thought not. And thanks for confirming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both for your help anyways, I'll change my options today and see how it goes from there. Quick question, I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere; can I substitute an option even if they've given me an offer? One of my uni's have given me an offer however I would like to substitute them for a different uni, but I cant see the option for that anywhere on track. I can see the option to substitute for my other offers, however.
Thank you both for your help anyways, I'll change my options today and see how it goes from there. Quick question, I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere; can I substitute an option even if they've given me an offer? One of my uni's have given me an offer however I would like to substitute them for a different uni, but I cant see the option for that anywhere on track. I can see the option to substitute for my other offers, however.

You can but you need to phone ucas to do it.
Reply 52
Original post by PQ
You can but you need to phone ucas to do it.

Thank you!
I guess the feeling of loneliness stems from how large it is as a city, and where your accommodation will be compared to others from that uni whereas a smaller place has more compact areas where you can meet a lot more people. Yeah I'm quite upset that I can't go to Bristol either, as I said I loved it and I hold a guaranteed offer but I can't do the course because I don't have the subject required.

I have considered Cardiff, and it's pretty close to Bristol if I wanted to visit however I've been told to look at unis that are slightly higher on league tables for economics that also have better graduate prospects. The people around me are essentially trying to push me to reach the highest place that I can reach, which is great but it has made choosing much more difficult

Yeah, I get what you mean.

Choosing Universities is so difficult, especially when you can't go to your preferred city! Cardiff University is still a Russell Group university, so it's well respected in its own right, so if you're not too caught up in league tables etc. that could/might be a really good option?

I'd say for example with a place like Bath, it may be a very good, well respected university, but the flip side of it, is the location. Especially with what you're looking for in a City, so I think that thinking of it from that perspective maybe the ranking of the University should only be a small aspect of your choice. Uni is about so much more than just getting a degree, and many people I know who have gone have said about the life skills and stuff you learn by going. So try not to get too wound up in what the Uni is and think about what your overall experience might be? Happiness is ultimately (well hopefully) going to lead to better productivity in your studies.
Reply 54
Thank you both for your help anyways, I'll change my options today and see how it goes from there.

No problem :smile:

What were your original choices? And new choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Southampton, at least the main campus, is pretty flat. Also Cambridge is more more or less flat all the way across :tongue:

But Exeter is particularly egregious as it's tons of little hills all over one big hill and the uni is on the highest little hill on the top of the big hill xD

There are a small number of things that remain open a little later (like the Sainsbury's local in town, the Heavitree Co-op, among others, stay open till 10 I think) but not a great deal.

Making friends is really up to the individual - I was in private halls due to getting accepted to late in the clearing cycle, and there was only one other guy (a postgrad) for the first 3 months I was living there in the flat, and we didn't talk that much. But I made friends through our first year tutorials/group work quick enough (but again, Engineering - there may not be as much scope for that avenue in Economics), including our ill-fated first year project...

The university halls themselves I got the impression were fairly convivial, particularly if you were in catered halls as people ended up eating together anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rome x mary
I’m in year 12 but I’ve lived in Bath all my life so I can answer a few of your questions:

- Nightlife is alright, there are some good clubs but most people I know tend to go to London or Bristol

- As long as I’ve lived here (16 years), I’ve never heard any homophobic slurs nor have I heard of any city-wide support groups (there may be some in schools, there was one in mine), so Bath is pretty neutral. The people here are pretty conserved and polite and there are very little chavs.

- I personally find that the town (shopping centre) in Bath is really good and there is a MASSIVE variety of shops and resources and I tend not to go to Bristol or Swindon often unless I want to go to big stores such as Nike factory or Street.

- No, I have never thought that I wanted to move to a big city such as Bristol or Manchester. I love the ambience of Bath, it’s history and beautiful architecture and landscapes. I love living here and it honestly has everything you could need. Besides, it’s so easy to go to Bristol, just catch a bus which would cost like £4 to have an all-day ticket.

- I mean, I think renting would be more expensive here in Bath because it’s a generally more expensive city in terms of housing e.g. my four bedroom house costs £800K whereas my cousin’s four bedroom in Coventry costs like £350K.

What school you at, maybe I know you lol
Original post by jakey_99
What school you at, maybe I know you lol

Royal High, what school do you go to?
Original post by rome x mary
Royal High, what school do you go to?

Ah, Hayesf**** myself. I wouldn't be good enough for Royal High even if I was a girl :P

Know what you mean about Bath though it can get a bit boring sometimes.
Hi, can you guys answer any of these questions for me? I've done a lot of research and reading online but I want honest opinions.

General questions:

-What's the nightlife like?
-How friendly are the people at your university?
-Is it LGBT friendly/roughly what % of the uni is LGBT? (Difficult question ngl)
-How big is the city? Does it ever get boring?
-How good is the general social life at your uni?
-What's the rent/living costs like?
-How easy did you find it to make friends?
-Are you satisfied with your course and the uni? An economics student might be more suitable for this question but any answers are welcome!
-How expensive is it for a night out?

Bath:

-How often do students go to Bristol? Be it day or night
-Does the small city life ever get boring? Might help to know that I'm from London so I'm used to a big city

Exeter:

-Is the campus small?

Leeds:

-How diverse is the city?
-Would you say the city is really large?

Thank you guys in advance! If there's anything else you'd like to add, please do so.

post to sub

I'll answer for exeter tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending