The Student Room Group

Changing your dissertation topic

Hey everyone,

I realise this is likely to be different at every university but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience of this. Basically, i had to write my dissertation proposal at the end of 2nd year and I am now 5 weeks into 3rd year. My proposal was on a topic that I was kind of pushed into and absolutely hated, and now i want to change (assuming they'll let me, its due in in March). Obviously I would have to write a proposal again but just wondered if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Thanks
Original post by OneOfThem
Hey everyone,

I realise this is likely to be different at every university but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience of this. Basically, i had to write my dissertation proposal at the end of 2nd year and I am now 5 weeks into 3rd year. My proposal was on a topic that I was kind of pushed into and absolutely hated, and now i want to change (assuming they'll let me, its due in in March). Obviously I would have to write a proposal again but just wondered if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Thanks

You have to have a really good academic reason for wanting to change topics, a potential supervisor willing to take you on and a realistic plan for finishing on time in order to do this. And hating your topic is not going to be a good enough reason unfortunately. If you can write a reasonable dissertation which is going to score highly then I wouldn't change at this stage if I were you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending