The Student Room Group

2017/2018 Road to A*A*A*A and Durham pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Oh wow :redface: Do you know what subjects they did? I'm scared maths will be like one of those exceptions where they just don't take anyone because it's a popular course ><

One took Law and the other I can't remember. Durham Maths is competitive though so I'd still hedge my bets on getting the grades.
Original post by AmmarTa
One took Law and the other I can't remember. Durham Maths is competitive though so I'd still hedge my bets on getting the grades.

Eeep yeah - being able to apply through clearing would be nice but it's always better getting in first and not having to stressfully ring them up and wait on hold for ages whilst knowing there's someone else fighting for your spot :giggle:

Weekend Update

So I just wrote this huge post (it took a decent half an hour to write) summarising my weekend but Google Chrome had to crash on me whilst I was writing my last sentence so that whole post is now gone forever. Yay. That will teach me to never write my posts directly onto the TSR quick reply box ever again! :angry:

Putting that aside, the reason why I haven't been posting daily is because I just haven't been doing that much work worth writing about. It's mainly been a few exercises here and there, and it's bad because mocks are in a week! But I think it's been mainly due to fatigue, and being stuck in a loop of going to bed at 3am in the morning, waking up tired, not being productive during the day, so having to stay up to do work at night, and so on… So I haven't been performing the greatest/most efficient during lessons! :s-smilie:

Yesterday, I met up with some friends from my old school, where we all had a good old kids meal at Pizza Express (perfect portion size if you've just had breakfast but you're also a little peckish still and you want to get lunch out of the way), so I had some signature Pizza Express dough balls, chicken pizza and a cute little sundae. As if that wasn't enough, I managed to snag a free hot chocolate from Hotel Chocolat, (yes I had a hot chocolate right after an scoop of ice cream don't judge me I like to eat when I'm stressed) which was so good! We then wondered around shopping and I didn't buy anything special (although I did manage to spend ages trying to decide what to get, then only realising that I didn't actually need it so had to put it back), and it wasn't until 4:30pm I got home.

At this point I really wasn't in the mood to work and I was so tired that I just took a nap until dinner. On a more exciting note, I started a bullet journal, so after dinner, I spent the rest of the evening watching bullet journal inspiration videos and planning what I was going to do on Sunday (today) and for the rest of the week. Of course I have so many tasks that I wanted to get done before mocks but don't have enough time for, so I'm hoping that I can either get it done during mocks (highly unlikely) or will just have to save it until after. :colondollar:

Today I woke up at 11am (usual time) which is 2 hours later than I had planned on getting up, since I originally intended to catch up on some of the tasks I missed from yesterday. However this meant that I was 2 hours worth of tasks behind already! I forced myself to do some D1 Critical Path Analysis homework we had been set, which took less time that I thought, but writing 'Dummy' a lot made me start to think that this homework had been designed to mock me of my stupidity/disorganisation/laziness/procrastination/unwillingness to get up early! :teehee:

I then had lunch and got a bit distracted by more YouTube videos, so I ended up abandoning the work I had planned to do and sorted out these set of drawers in my bedroom, which held all my art supplies which I never use now because I don't do Art A Level anymore. So I put all the art supplies in a box under my bed, leaving me now with a set of drawers I can put things in!

After dinner I forced myself to start on an A3 poster on Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' which I had been putting off doing (not only for the whole day but literally since September), but I kept getting distracted and it was pretty hopeless. I decided to take a break and wash my hair so that I'd come back feeling refreshed, but I went downstairs to make a cheese toastie after that too. By the time that was all done it was 10pm, so I just ploughed on with it and finished finally! Here's a photo of the result (and the time I finished it at… o.o)

20180115_004954.jpg

The most important task I still must complete today is a music essay on David Bowie that we got set for homework that's due in on Tuesday, but I don't have time to do it tomorrow… So I'm gonna finish this post now (may I repeat, for the second time -_-) and then go straight to sleep afterwards! Technically it should only take me 20 minutes since it's only 20 marks, but let's be honest, it's going to take me way longer than that!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :smile:

Tag Squad :h:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Bowie's 2 year death anniversary occurred on Wednesday.:rip:

TSR crashes on me all the time, you say you won't use the reply box again, but you will.:yep: :tongue:

Love the last line.:giggle:

And that picture is AMAZING. Seriously one of the best images I've seen in a GYG blog so far this year.:drool:
Bullet journals are amazing :love: well done on getting some stuff done! I have an essay I need to write on the rite of spring (among other stuff), do it for me please :puppyeyes: but yeah, well done and good luck for mocks!
Ooh bullet journal!! I tried to set up one, march last year and I kept at it for about 6 months but recently, it's just been pretty dead..

your poster's so prettyyyyy
What in the world! Jealous that my posters aren’t that pretty :laugh:
Honestly it looks amazing nice one!
Sooo jealous of your pretty poster x :heart:
Love watching AmandaRachLee - her bullet journal ideas are goalsss
Good on you for starting some work :hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
Bowie's 2 year death anniversary occurred on Wednesday.:rip:

TSR crashes on me all the time, you say you won't use the reply box again, but you will.:yep: :tongue:

Love the last line.:giggle:

And that picture is AMAZING. Seriously one of the best images I've seen in a GYG blog so far this year.:drool:

It's been 2 years already?!?! Geez time moves by so fast :s-smilie: He'll always be an absolute legend though!

Agh it used to happen all the time when I made notes on Microsoft Word - I always used to forget to save and then Word would crash, but the autosave would be from hours worth of work ago! But since GCSEs and countless times of having to retype everything I've learnt my lesson! (for Word that is, because guess what... I'm still typing in the quick reply box now :giggle:)

Hehe the essay ended up taking me around 40 minutes so I definitely need to work on timing :colondollar:

And eee thank you! I forgot how much cooler a GYG looks with photos, I really want to start including more pics so it's not just my boring old text all the time! :laugh:
Original post by furryface12
Bullet journals are amazing :love: well done on getting some stuff done! I have an essay I need to write on the rite of spring (among other stuff), do it for me please :puppyeyes: but yeah, well done and good luck for mocks!

Ahhh yes they are! I always spend ages just admiring everyone's bullet journal on instagram and I'm like 'I want one of those!' so I finally did the deed :giggle: And ahhhh after writing the essay last night it seems I really need all the essay practice I can get so I should take you up on that (but I won't because any essay is hard) Eee thank you I'll need it :redface: I hope uni is going well for you and it's not too stressful! (Although I don't think it's possible for uni to not be :colondollar:)

Original post by nyxnko_
Ooh bullet journal!! I tried to set up one, march last year and I kept at it for about 6 months but recently, it's just been pretty dead..
your poster's so prettyyyyy

Yeah whenever I start something like a diary, it works for a couple of months and then I slowly abandon it, even if I tell myself that this time is going to be different :laugh: I hope I manage to keep this one up though because I actually feel mentally more organised :redface: You should come back to the bullet journalling life and bullet journal with meeeee! :grouphugs:

Thank youuuu but I think it took way longer than it should have :teehee:

Original post by EmilySarah00
What in the world! Jealous that my posters aren’t that pretty :laugh:
Honestly it looks amazing nice one!

Whaaat how can you say that your posters are stunning! Those pastel stabilo highlighters make them look so nice too, I really need to get my hands on those (but I have too much stationery already) :laugh: Thank you though :heart:

Original post by Lilsthebest
Sooo jealous of your pretty poster x :heart:
Love watching AmandaRachLee - her bullet journal ideas are goalsss
Good on you for starting some work :hugs:

Eee thank you! <3 I wouldn't be too jealous though because it took a ridiculous amount of time - it probably wasn't even worth it because I absorbed nothing! :redface:

And omgggg I love her!!! All her spreads are so aesthetically pleasing I'm always like PLEASE JUST DO MY BULLET JOURNAL FOR ME I'LL PAY YOU because they're just stunning ahh :heart: I also love Caitlin's Corner because she has just the right balance of helpful practical ideas and aesthetic :biggrin:
Ahhh yes they are! I always spend ages just admiring everyone's bullet journal on instagram and I'm like 'I want one of those!' so I finally did the deed :giggle: And ahhhh after writing the essay last night it seems I really need all the essay practice I can get so I should take you up on that (but I won't because any essay is hard) Eee thank you I'll need it :redface: I hope uni is going well for you and it's not too stressful! (Although I don't think it's possible for uni to not be :colondollar:)

Yeah whenever I start something like a diary, it works for a couple of months and then I slowly abandon it, even if I tell myself that this time is going to be different :laugh: I hope I manage to keep this one up though because I actually feel mentally more organised :redface: You should come back to the bullet journalling life and bullet journal with meeeee! :grouphugs:

Thank youuuu but I think it took way longer than it should have :teehee:

Whaaat how can you say that your posters are stunning! Those pastel stabilo highlighters make them look so nice too, I really need to get my hands on those (but I have too much stationery already) :laugh: Thank you though :heart:

Eee thank you! <3 I wouldn't be too jealous though because it took a ridiculous amount of time - it probably wasn't even worth it because I absorbed nothing! :redface:

And omgggg I love her!!! All her spreads are so aesthetically pleasing I'm always like PLEASE JUST DO MY BULLET JOURNAL FOR ME I'LL PAY YOU because they're just stunning ahh :heart: I also love Caitlin's Corner because she has just the right balance of helpful practical ideas and aesthetic :biggrin:

Things that look pretty are worth it to me Xxx :heart:

Weekend Update

So I just wrote this huge post (it took a decent half an hour to write) summarising my weekend but Google Chrome had to crash on me whilst I was writing my last sentence so that whole post is now gone forever. Yay. That will teach me to never write my posts directly onto the TSR quick reply box ever again! :angry:

Putting that aside, the reason why I haven't been posting daily is because I just haven't been doing that much work worth writing about. It's mainly been a few exercises here and there, and it's bad because mocks are in a week! But I think it's been mainly due to fatigue, and being stuck in a loop of going to bed at 3am in the morning, waking up tired, not being productive during the day, so having to stay up to do work at night, and so on… So I haven't been performing the greatest/most efficient during lessons! :s-smilie:

Yesterday, I met up with some friends from my old school, where we all had a good old kids meal at Pizza Express (perfect portion size if you've just had breakfast but you're also a little peckish still and you want to get lunch out of the way), so I had some signature Pizza Express dough balls, chicken pizza and a cute little sundae. As if that wasn't enough, I managed to snag a free hot chocolate from Hotel Chocolat, (yes I had a hot chocolate right after an scoop of ice cream don't judge me I like to eat when I'm stressed) which was so good! We then wondered around shopping and I didn't buy anything special (although I did manage to spend ages trying to decide what to get, then only realising that I didn't actually need it so had to put it back), and it wasn't until 4:30pm I got home.

At this point I really wasn't in the mood to work and I was so tired that I just took a nap until dinner. On a more exciting note, I started a bullet journal, so after dinner, I spent the rest of the evening watching bullet journal inspiration videos and planning what I was going to do on Sunday (today) and for the rest of the week. Of course I have so many tasks that I wanted to get done before mocks but don't have enough time for, so I'm hoping that I can either get it done during mocks (highly unlikely) or will just have to save it until after. :colondollar:

Today I woke up at 11am (usual time) which is 2 hours later than I had planned on getting up, since I originally intended to catch up on some of the tasks I missed from yesterday. However this meant that I was 2 hours worth of tasks behind already! I forced myself to do some D1 Critical Path Analysis homework we had been set, which took less time that I thought, but writing 'Dummy' a lot made me start to think that this homework had been designed to mock me of my stupidity/disorganisation/laziness/procrastination/unwillingness to get up early! :teehee:

I then had lunch and got a bit distracted by more YouTube videos, so I ended up abandoning the work I had planned to do and sorted out these set of drawers in my bedroom, which held all my art supplies which I never use now because I don't do Art A Level anymore. So I put all the art supplies in a box under my bed, leaving me now with a set of drawers I can put things in!

After dinner I forced myself to start on an A3 poster on Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' which I had been putting off doing (not only for the whole day but literally since September), but I kept getting distracted and it was pretty hopeless. I decided to take a break and wash my hair so that I'd come back feeling refreshed, but I went downstairs to make a cheese toastie after that too. By the time that was all done it was 10pm, so I just ploughed on with it and finished finally! Here's a photo of the result (and the time I finished it at… o.o)

20180115_004954.jpg

The most important task I still must complete today is a music essay on David Bowie that we got set for homework that's due in on Tuesday, but I don't have time to do it tomorrow… So I'm gonna finish this post now (may I repeat, for the second time -_-) and then go straight to sleep afterwards! Technically it should only take me 20 minutes since it's only 20 marks, but let's be honest, it's going to take me way longer than that!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :smile:

Tag Squad :h:

Spoiler

Woooooooow that poster! :daydreaming: it's beautiful! Hope it helps you to remember things as well as just looking nice :wink:
Original post by Lilsthebest
Things that look pretty are worth it to me Xxx :heart:

:heart:

Original post by Protostar
Woooooooow that poster! :daydreaming: it's beautiful! Hope it helps you to remember things as well as just looking nice :wink:

Thank you! :smile: Ahh me too - otherwise it was all for nothing :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)

I've not written a non-sciencey essay since GCSE and was crap at it then- five and a half years ago for me too :tongue: sciences ones I've done two of. Help meeee :colondollar: but thank you, it's not too bad now I've finished exams. Just grrr stupid essay :lol:
Original post by furryface12
I've not written a non-sciencey essay since GCSE and was crap at it then- five and a half years ago for me too :tongue: sciences ones I've done two of. Help meeee :colondollar: but thank you, it's not too bad now I've finished exams. Just grrr stupid essay :lol:

Ahh I hope it goes well in the end! Good luck :smile:
Heyy, just wondered how you’re coping with the FM in a year? I suddenly feel like I’ve got soo much work and think the stress is beginning to set in 😂
Original post by F3rnw3h
Heyy, just wondered how you’re coping with the FM in a year? I suddenly feel like I’ve got soo much work and think the stress is beginning to set in 😂

It's been crazy hectic and tbh I haven't been doing as much revision for C3, C4 and S1 as I should have, but I'm just about clinging on! I've completely abandoned S1 so I'll have to revisit that for mocks, but I've found C3 and C4 have become a lot easier because we're using it all constantly in the further pure modules. Even though I prefer pure maths to applied, I have quite a few topics in FP2 which I struggled to like as much as some of the applied topics *cough* complex numbers *cough*. Enjoying FP3 a lot more so far though :smile: I guess these mocks will tell me how much I know compared to how much I think I know :s-smilie:

I do have quite a few moments where I question why on earth I decided to put myself under all this stress, but I try to keep telling myself that it'll all be worth it in the end, and my uni offers depend on me going through with it :smile:

How are you finding it? I'm glad there's someone else I can talk to about this because it's very rare :redface:
Completely agree with you on the complex numbers 😬😬Also HATING M2, I think I get it and then I’ll do a past paper and realise I have no clue what I’m doing 😂 Feeling good about S1 as we’ve had mocks on it so I’ve had a chance to properly revise it, and hoping S2 won’t be too bad (haven’t started it yet). I definitely prefer pure too, I’m hoping C3/4 will be fine with some revision 😂Hate Decision, it’s just soo long! What’s FP3 like? My school doesn’t do it hahaYea, it’s nice to have somebody who can relate! Hopefully once it gets closer to exams we’ll both be more confident about everything though!
Original post by F3rnw3h
Completely agree with you on the complex numbers 😬😬Also HATING M2, I think I get it and then I’ll do a past paper and realise I have no clue what I’m doing 😂 Feeling good about S1 as we’ve had mocks on it so I’ve had a chance to properly revise it, and hoping S2 won’t be too bad (haven’t started it yet). I definitely prefer pure too, I’m hoping C3/4 will be fine with some revision 😂Hate Decision, it’s just soo long! What’s FP3 like? My school doesn’t do it hahaYea, it’s nice to have somebody who can relate! Hopefully once it gets closer to exams we’ll both be more confident about everything though!

Yesss like FP1 complex numbers were manageable, but the FP2 ones with all the loci and transformations are just like 'what is happening to the world' 😱 I really like M2 but it is sooo difficult to get the answer right and it does take longer for me to grasp the concept compared to statistics :/ S2 is so much nicer compared to S1 in my opinion (a lot more proper maths kind of) so you have something to look forward to :biggrin: And ewww D1 has to be the worst module on the planet - every lesson I find myself falling asleep because drawing and writing everything out is so tedious, I'm so lazy and and there's literally no maths and augh it's the worst! And yes I'm also hoping that C3 and C4 will improve with revision 😂

FP3 is so cool and nice! It's got quite a few stuff on hyperbola, extends on calculus a bit more (love calculus even if I'm not that great at it all the time 😂), a bit on vectors (hate vectors but I'm surviving), matrices (terrified of that chapter but excited at the same time, no idea how) Maybe I just like it because it's a nice pure maths break from all the applied lessons we have 😂

Really hope so! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Yesss like FP1 complex numbers were manageable, but the FP2 ones with all the loci and transformations are just like 'what is happening to the world' 😱 I really like M2 but it is sooo difficult to get the answer right and it does take longer for me to grasp the concept compared to statistics :/ S2 is so much nicer compared to S1 in my opinion (a lot more proper maths kind of) so you have something to look forward to :biggrin: And ewww D1 has to be the worst module on the planet - every lesson I find myself falling asleep because drawing and writing everything out is so tedious, I'm so lazy and and there's literally no maths and augh it's the worst! And yes I'm also hoping that C3 and C4 will improve with revision 😂

FP3 is so cool and nice! It's got quite a few stuff on hyperbolas, extends on calculus a bit more (love calculus even if I'm not that great at it all the time 😂), a bit on vectors (hate vectors but I'm surviving), matrices (terrified of that chapter but excited at the same time, no idea how) Maybe I just like it because it's a nice pure maths break from all the applied lessons we have 😂

Really hope so! :smile:

Loveeed FP2 Matrices 🧡Feel like my teacher taught it really well, and conceptually it’s not so difficult, just long and method-y 😂Feel like complex numbers requires a lot more thinking, and I’m finding it harder to get my head around :/
COMPLETELY agree about D1, just drawing the networks out takes me forever! No idea if you have CPA in your D1, but absolutely hate it - always make a mess of it somehow 😬
Ahh glad to hear S2 is nice! Is it much harder than S1 in your opinion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending