The Student Room Group

Failed My Second Driving Test (Unlucky or am I just a bad driver?)

I had my first test 2 weeks ago, and I had 4 minors and 1 major. My major was so frustrating, because it was at a red light; I had stopped at the car line then decided to creep up to the cycle line, I have no idea why I did this, and this caused me to fail. I guess I was really nervous.

Today I failed again, this time at a filter lane that's connected to a roundabout. I was at the filterlane waiting to turn left, I let one car go that came from the roundabout, then looked at the roundabout, noticed a car indicating right, suggesting that it's going to stay on the roundabout... Then I decide to start going, then the examiner has to intervene and brake for me, because the car that was indicating right, decided to exit the roundabout without signalling left....

Only had 2 minors as well, thinking I can never pass at this rate, because I keep messing up on the day of the test.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On average, 40% of people pass 3rd time.
I passed 3rd time. I've had my licence for 4 and 3/4 years, never been involved in an accident and I do genuinely believe I'm one of the better drivers on the road.
Original post by iAstro
I had my first test 2 weeks ago, and I had 4 minors and 1 major. My major was so frustrating, because it was at a red light; I had stopped at the car line then decided to creep up to the cycle line, I have no idea why I did this, and this caused me to fail. I guess I was really nervous.

Today I failed again, this time at a filter lane that's connected to a roundabout. I was at the filterlane waiting to turn left, I let one car go that came from the roundabout, then looked at the roundabout, noticed a car indicating right, suggesting that it's going to stay on the roundabout... Then I decide to start going, then the examiner has to intervene and brake for me, because the car that was indicating right, decided to exit the roundabout without signalling left....

Thinking I can never pass at this rate...

I think you are not very good for now...
However like any other skill, you need time to develop. I strongly advice to wait until you take your next test and start to practice.
Original post by Synchronise
On average, 40% of people pass 3rd time.

Most people pass their second time, and I was feeling confident before the test as I was less nervous. It's annoying because every time I fail it's another £140 to book the tests + use the instructor's car. So frustrating, because I just keep messing up on the day of the test.
Original post by dariopussolo
I think you are not very good for now...
However like any other skill, you need time to develop. I strongly advice to wait until you take your next test and start to practice.

My instructor says more lessons won't help me, he says I have the skills required to pass; I believe I can pass, but my confidence gets shattered everytime I mess up during the test.
I passed 3rd time. I had one major on my first attempt and I had three majors on the second attempt. I passed on my 3rd attempt with 4 minors. You will get there!
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I passed 3rd time. I've had my licence for 4 and 3/4 years, never been involved in an accident and I do genuinely believe I'm one of the better drivers on the road.

Even with bendy roads in the middle of woodlands?
Even with bendy roads in the middle of woodlands?

Just keep to your side of the road and don't fly around corners.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Just keep to your side of the road and don't fly around corners.

Do you ever attempt to overtake any traffic?
Don't you loose hope my friend. One of my friends passed their driving test 3rd time.

I personally passed my theory on the 3rd time and my practical on the 2nd time. don't you loose hope, you got this :smile:.
Original post by iAstro
My instructor says more lessons won't help me, he says I have the skills required to pass; I believe I can pass, but my confidence gets shattered everytime I mess up during the test.

Then you should improve your confidence. I don't have any suggestion for confidence😌
Reply 12
Original post by iAstro

Only had 2 minors as well, thinking I can never pass at this rate, because I keep messing up on the day of the test.

You got to keep trying to be honest.

Driving is a life skill that is acquired throughout your life not until you pass the driving test.
Do you ever attempt to overtake any traffic?

Only overtook a tractor once, and did it on a long straight part of the road when I could see that there was no traffic coming the other way and had plenty of time and space to overtake. It'd be foolish to overtake when you're coming up to a blind bend.

Must say though, I am a bit of an aggressive driver at times when it comes to overtaking slow drivers and pulling out into gaps, but I only ever seem to drive like it when I have no passengers and I've never had any near misses in doing so, doesn't make it okay or advisable of course but I trust my own judgement and never pull what I deem to be stupid manoeuvres.
Reply 14
It's a challenging and pressurised test. Just keep going, concentrate, and you will get there. The first test failure was very hard I think.
I personally don't know any good drives who passed their test the first time
Original post by bones-mccoy
I personally don't know any good drives who passed their test the first time

I did and a good percentage of people I know did. Majority of people don't pass due to the practical part and lack of spatial skill, however this can be overcome easily. In fact I noticed that people that play sport are usually better at driving
You are being taught to pass a driving test, you are not being taught how to drive. There's an important difference.

If everyone drove like they did on their driving test, traffic would be ridiculous and frankly dangerous. You are doing fine and how many times it takes you to pass a test really is not a reflection on how good a driver you are.

Pass your test when you pass, and then get some advanced training, look into a ROSPA or IAM course that will teach you advanced driving skills that will be well above and beyond what your driving test is testing you on. When I did my ROSPA training the first thing the instructor said was basically "Forget everything you were taught for your test, it's either wrong or can be improved upon.".

Best of luck next time, and don't let this discourage you. :smile:.
Original post by Zarek
It's a challenging and pressurised test. Just keep going, concentrate, and you will get there. The first test failure was very hard I think.

Yeah I felt like an idiot when I failed, but I guess it's a major because if you do it normally you get fined.
Original post by iAstro
Most people pass their second time, and I was feeling confident before the test as I was less nervous. It's annoying because every time I fail it's another £140 to book the tests + use the instructor's car. So frustrating, because I just keep messing up on the day of the test.

I didn't care first time, I was a bag of nerves the second time as I actually started to care about the result. The nerves, ridiculously, did me a favor. Because everything stupid that I needed to do I did in the hour before the test on a pre-lesson. My instructor had never looked so worried but he warned me a few lessons before "I passed a young lad today, bag of nerves he was but he came out fine" - when I felt the nerves coming on literally 3 days in advance; I just submitted myself to them so by the time I actually had the test itself; they'd gone back into hibernation.

Latest

Trending

Trending