The Student Room Group

Tax and Tax Code

I started my first job in October, it's only part time (9 hours per week) and got my first pay slip and I had been taxed, which is normal? but I've got my second pay slip and I've been taxed again. My tax code says 0T I don't know what this means? Or how to get my tax back? Can someone help please?
Reply 1
0T is an emergency tax code.

When you eventually get your personal tax code you should also get any owed tax back (:
Reply 2
Original post by SeaScape
0T is an emergency tax code.

When you eventually get your personal tax code you should also get any owed tax back (:

but when will that be? was there any formsI was supposed to fill in as its my first job or something? I hadn't had a job and obviously no tax code beforehand
Reply 3
Original post by tomlfc
but when will that be? was there any formsI was supposed to fill in as its my first job or something? I hadn't had a job and obviously no tax code beforehand

For mine, Im not going to lie it took a really long time (almost a year- as I started getting paid in April 2016 and got my tax code in March 2017) But I think that was because of the tax year starting in April.

I think you can call up HMRC and get it back early? Or something like that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Did you fill out a HMRC new starter form (formerly P46)?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
Did you fill out a HMRC new starter form (formerly P46)?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist

no I didn't?
Original post by tomlfc
no I didn't?

It'd be a good idea to get one filled out and set to your payroll department.

They should be able to change your coding based on that, if you've only worked for this company and haven't claimed any benefits this current tax year, your employer should be able to put you on a cumulative coding and you'll get back what you've overpaid in your wages.
Reply 7
You can call up HMRC and sort it out over the phone I had the problem when I started working, it was nice getting the money back all at once as well it was like I had been saving it, I was paying it for around 2 months
Reply 8
Original post by moonkatt
It'd be a good idea to get one filled out and set to your payroll department.

They should be able to change your coding based on that, if you've only worked for this company and haven't claimed any benefits this current tax year, your employer should be able to put you on a cumulative coding and you'll get back what you've overpaid in your wages.

okay thank you, will do
Reply 9
Original post by joecphillips
You can call up HMRC and sort it out over the phone I had the problem when I started working, it was nice getting the money back all at once as well it was like I had been saving it, I was paying it for around 2 months

Do you know where I could get the phone number? Also did you still need to fill out that form and hand it in to your workplace?
Reply 10
Original post by tomlfc
Do you know where I could get the phone number? Also did you still need to fill out that form and hand it in to your workplace?

I did not have to fill it in.

0300 200 3300

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees
Original post by tomlfc
I started my first job in October, it's only part time (9 hours per week) and got my first pay slip and I had been taxed, which is normal? but I've got my second pay slip and I've been taxed again. My tax code says 0T I don't know what this means? Or how to get my tax back? Can someone help please?

Like someone else said, you have been emergency taxed.
If you phone up the tax office, you can get your tax code corrected and any tax you have paid back.
Reply 12
Thanks, I phoned them then an they said I should have it back within 10 days yay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending