The Student Room Group

I'm Black and Just 'Came Out' to my Religious Mother - AMA!

I thought it would be good to see if anyone is struggling with the "coming out" to their parents and perhaps needs some guidance.

I know a lot of young people struggle with their identity and are discovering new things about themselves that they may not understand and the fear of rejection from family can be daunting, especially if you lived in an environment where your parents do not think homosexuality is right under the laws of the Bible.

So with this in mind,

Do not be afraid to ask me anything related to this post and hopefully, I will be able to share my experience with people so it can shed some light on this potentially confusing and scary time.
Don't have anything to say other than well done, it's not easy.

How do you feel?
Reply 2
How did your mother react?
Reply 3
It's getting late, maybe I need to go get some sleep because I interpreted the title as you are a black person who just came out over being black to a religious mother

and I was thinking wtf, his mother didn't know he was black??
Did you get whipped with the belt?
Original post by Texxers
How did your mother react?

She didn't react badly.

She was saying "the Lord wants you to be with a girl". But I denied this claim.

She said she thought it was bad because homosexuality is classed, in her eyes, as immoral and unethical. I study Philosophy at uni so before I was going to dismiss her claim, I just said I could have turned out a lot worse than being gay.

She was disappointed that she wasn't going to get any grandchildren, which I thought was a bit funny. But yeah, she didn't react awfully or anything. Carried on with her annoying "motherly" self with telling me what to do, what to eat, etc. :smile:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Don't have anything to say other than well done, it's not easy.

How do you feel?

I don't know. I have a partner, so I'm more relieved about that because I felt like I've had to hide him when I was going out - always use to say "a friend" and etc. No it doesn't feel like a dirty little secret anymore.

I do feel a bit awkward though as I got vibes she wasn't going to rush in saying she wants to meet him. But I guess she needs time to process what I said to her and she has to come to her own realisation that it is my life, not God's. But mine. :smile:
Original post by Popsiclez

No I did not.
Original post by Popsiclez

i wish
r u ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending