The Student Room Group

The postman opened my mail!!!!!

I just went downstairs and saw that I had a letter. When I picked it up it was open. It wasn’t my family who had opened it either because they have gone to school and work. I really don’t understand why they would open it. Was it because it was heavy and they thought it was something that could have benefited them or what lol. I’m only worried because whoever sent it opened my bank letter. It was mainly just leaflets but obviously on the letter it had my account details on. (Account number) Should I be concerned? Should I complain? It also just seems really rude
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I just went downstairs and saw that I had a letter. When I picked it up it was open. It wasn’t my family who had opened it either because they have gone to school and work. I really don’t understand why they would open it. Was it because it was heavy and they thought it was something that could have benefited them or what lol. I’m only worried because whoever sent it opened my bank letter. It was mainly just leaflets but obviously on the letter it had my account details on. (Account number) Should I be concerned? Should I complain? It also just seems really rude

That just isn’t on. If I were you I’d complain. That is a violation of privacy under some sort of act. Complain. Emphasise your violation. Get the bozo sacked
Reply 2
I literally do not think it was opened by a sorting machine, it isn’t even like only a little bit was torn off. It was opened in the way you would normally open a letter, ragged. I’m not too bothered about complaining, I was just concerned with the fact that it had my bank account number on. I’m only 17 so I don’t have any money anyways but I wanted to know what you could do by taking somebody’s account number. Thanks for the advise anyways. I did read that ther Royal Mail doesn’t care at their customers somewhere anyways so I’m not going to try.
The postman did not open your letter. The punishment would be really severe so there's no way they'd risk it unless they thought you had valuable diamonds in there or something. It either got opened y accident during the postage process or one of your family opened it at some point before they left. Don't get your postman in trouble when there is 0 chance he did anything wrong.
Reply 4
I literally do not think it was opened by a sorting machine, it isn’t even like only a little bit was torn off. It was opened in the way you would normally open a letter, ragged. I’m not too bothered about complaining, I was just concerned with the fact that it had my bank account number on. I’m only 17 so I don’t have any money anyways but I wanted to know what you could do by taking somebody’s account number. Thanks for the advise anyways. I did read that ther Royal Mail doesn’t care at their customers somewhere anyways so I’m not going to try.

tbh it does sound suspicious, especially as there was a bank card inside.
Having worked for Royal Mail ...I know that there are a LOT more people than the postman who handle your mail before it gets to you. The postman is literally the last person who handles your mail before it gets passed onto you. He may have received the mail already like that. It is unfair to blame the postman. Since so many staff could have potentially handled it, it will be literally impossible to find the culprit [if indeed there has been foul play]

tbh If I were you i'd cancel that bank card. Doesn't matter if there is no money currently on it, there will be in the future won't there?

what if someone has copied down your card number, sort code, account number, and that 3 digit cvv or cvc number at the back. They'd be able to order stuff online to various addresses if the vendor does not force them to use the same address the card was registered in
Reply 5
Original post by ANM775
tbh it does sound suspicious, especially as there was a bank card inside.
Having worked for Royal Mail ...I know that there are a LOT more people than the postman who handle your mail before it gets to you. The postman is literally the last person who handles your mail before it gets passed onto you. He may have received the mail already like that. It is unfair to blame the postman. Since so many staff could have potentially handled it, it will be literally impossible to find the culprit [if indeed there has been foul play]

tbh If I were you i'd cancel that bank card. Doesn't matter if there is no money currently on it, there will be in the future won't there?

what if someone has copied down your card number, sort code, account number, and that 3 digit cvv or cvc number at the back. They'd be able to order stuff online to various addresses if the vendor does not force them to use the same address the card was registered in

Where did OP say this was a debit card? (hint: they didn't).
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Where did OP say this was a debit card? (hint: they didn't).

ok, my bad.

he can forget the bit about cancelling it then.....
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
ok, my bad.

he can forget the bit about cancelling it then.....

It would be appreciated if you didn’t assume my gender. Also, my family definitely did not open it. My parents work away, my siblings went to school and they don’t open letters, they never do. My older sibling was still asleep so the only thought I had was the postman. Yes I should not blame the postman but it was the first thing that came to my mind and I was panicking since it was a bank letter.
Reply 8
but I wanted to know what you could do by taking somebody’s account number.

Not much. You need more information than the account number (and address) to withdraw money. e.g. a PIN.

The Royal Mail takes complaints about staff seriously - so if you genuinely have a valid problem with the postman (which I don't really think you do) then tell RM.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/contact#category-tree-after
Reply 9
Mate it was probably just poorly sealed and fell open. Not to mention it couldwell have been someone at the central depot who opened it .. if it was openen.

Original post by Scisaac
That just isn’t on. If I were you I’d complain. That is a violation of privacy under some sort of act. Complain. Emphasise your violation. Get the bozo sacked

Dont be such a ****.
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
The postman did not open your letter. The punishment would be really severe so there's no way they'd risk it unless they thought you had valuable diamonds in there or something. It either got opened y accident during the postage process or one of your family opened it at some point before they left. Don't get your postman in trouble when there is 0 chance he did anything wrong.

How do you know they didn't open it? I lived in a rough area for two years, and the postmen were awful. Several neighbours complained about letters and parcels being open before coming through the door, one of them even had ring doorbell footage of a post man opening and stealing their mail!

However, he admitted that he'd done it several times, but when he didn't get caught and there was no proof he'd been doing it, there would've been no way to prove it without Ring Doorbell Footage, so yes it does happen, but rarlely
Original post by Scisaac

you are , quite frankly,a fantasist

Latest

Trending

Trending