The Student Room Group

I like my university flatmate

I know there's lots of posts like this but I'd like some advice relevant to my situation

I really like my flatmate, I've been living with her all throughout 2nd year and we're in our third year now. This is my final year at uni so would potentially be my last chance to see her. We always have nice conversations, we talk about fairly personal stuff and we'll sometimes sit up late having a chat or watching a film. We have a lot in common I'd say and we also get along really well

I think she likes some guy on my course, but I'd also say me and her are pretty close. I'm just worried to make a move in case she doesn't like me in the same way I like her

We're both home for Christmas and have been messaging every few days, she'll just randomly pop up some nights for a chat. Should I make a move, and if so how? I'm not sure how to make it clear to her that I like her more than just friends. What sort of things should I look for to tell me she likes me?
ive close enough you might be able to meet up in a neutral spot (dependant on how close you live to each other) if not then i think keeping the relationship warm over winter (no pun intended) is the best idea and you should make a move when you're back at UNI but before exam pressures mount up.

Original post by Anonymous
I know there's lots of posts like this but I'd like some advice relevant to my situation

I really like my flatmate, I've been living with her all throughout 2nd year and we're in our third year now. This is my final year at uni so would potentially be my last chance to see her. We always have nice conversations, we talk about fairly personal stuff and we'll sometimes sit up late having a chat or watching a film. We have a lot in common I'd say and we also get along really well

I think she likes some guy on my course, but I'd also say me and her are pretty close. I'm just worried to make a move in case she doesn't like me in the same way I like her

We're both home for Christmas and have been messaging every few days, she'll just randomly pop up some nights for a chat. Should I make a move, and if so how? I'm not sure how to make it clear to her that I like her more than just friends. What sort of things should I look for to tell me she likes me?

I think you should go for it, I have always regretted the things I haven't done rather than the things I have. You're still young and its much better to experiment with these things early on.

This begs the question of how to approach it, if you live close enough you might be able to meet up in a neutral spot. if not then I think keeping the relationship warm over winter (no pun intended) is the best idea and you should make a move when you're back at Uni but before exam pressures mount up.
Reply 2
We live about 2/3 hours apart so not really possible to meet up over Christmas

What's the best way to keep things going, is randomly popping up every day for a conversation too forward? I would definitely regret a missed opportunity, but I just don't know if she feels the same towards me
Everything youve described is what you would expect in a normal platonic friendship, she hasnt dropped any hints she likes you.

Also girls tend to let their guard down with long term male friends and dont really think how something could be interpreted as flirting.

You could tell her and she would give you a honest answer, then you can move forward. Something like " hey hope this isnt awkward but I was thinking we get on really well, would you be interested in a coffee date or something ? "

She will either say Yes = She wants to date you or No/Let met think about it/Im just busy at the moment/sure but none right now = mean she doesnt want to date you

If your both mature and take rejection properly, no reason it would be awkward
Reply 4
We're definitely both mature, I think I'll try asking her out again because there's not much to lose! Last time I did it though she wanted to invite the whole flat, I don't think she understood that I wanted it to be just me and her, but that was last year and I feel like we're closer now

Ye thats me. Sorry about that, she's taken.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Ye thats me. Sorry about that, she's taken.

Don't talk about my girl like that, we go way back.
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
Don't talk about my girl like that, we go way back.

Damn she didn't tell me about you.

OP the girl is a confirmed sloot.

Abort mission.
Reply 8
It has all the hallmarks of just wanting to be friends. I'd say trust your instincts. Asking her out again for an ambiguous date could be a way to get another clue. In my experience if you want to remain friends it's best to avoid a clear rejection.
Doesn't sound like you have any reason to think she likes you so don't make it awkward. Maybe flirt a bit and see if she gives you any hints but if you don't have any clear signs then don't make living together a problem.
So since you live with her things could potentially get a little awkward if she doesn't feel the same way. So I suggest being really subtle.. for example, towards the end of a film night or a late night chat or whatever (in person), just casually jokingly say:

'Hey, so what do you think about me?'
Of course she will reply 'What do you mean lol' or something.
Then say 'Would you consider me as a friend?'
'Yes of course, blah blah blah'
'Oh right.. cool... anything else you want to add?'
'Yes/No/Maybe/I'm confused why you're asking'

If she keeps quizzing you as to why you're asking, just say you're curious to find out how people perceive you. If she feels the same way she'll say it there and then, or revisit the conversation a few days later and hopefully drop some hints, if she is into you.

Maybe this is a terrible suggestion, but I think you'll get your answer without making it awkward. Let us know how this goes if you try it :smile:
Reply 11

I think you should go for it before uni ends and you miss your chance. if she is not interested, just handle it maturely and it shouldn't affect your friendship. life is too short, so give it a try!
I think that you should wait until you are having your next one to one chat, and then bring it up and ask her if you can take her on a date or something
Original post by ChickenMadness
Damn she didn't tell me about you.

OP the girl is a confirmed sloot.

Abort mission.

Can confirm,sloots gonna sloot
They're all good suggestions, I think the main problem is that I'm quite shy when it comes to these things, I've always lacked the confidence to say these sort of things so I never end up finding out the answer
Reply 14
Gosssh I need an update !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending