The Student Room Group

Advice on how much I should spend on a laptop for Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gareths
Surface Laptop has to be upgraded to pro before otherwise apps outside the Store wont install or open as Windows will block it

it cost £99 to purchase or could downgrade and find other ways to windows 10 but £99 Is not a lot if you can afford a £800 laptop
Original post by wolto
it cost £99 to purchase or could downgrade and find other ways to windows 10 but £99 Is not a lot if you can afford a £800 laptop

actually its free on the Surface Laptop to switch to pro - or at least it was when i did it
Original post by Bobbyfloater
I would go with the iMac Pro. The new one with the 27" screen looks nice. And 18 cores and Vega 64 GPU will certainly help with typical medium demand games. The 4 TB SSD and 128GB RAM will get into your music library PDQ too.
Or you could buy a £300 laptop from Currys that will do just fine for everything except the gaming you will have no time for if you actually have friends.

Original post by Bobbyfloater
I would go with the iMac Pro. The new one with the 27" screen looks nice. And 18 cores and Vega 64 GPU will certainly help with typical medium demand games. The 4 TB SSD and 128GB RAM will get into your music library PDQ too.
Or you could buy a £300 laptop from Currys that will do just fine for everything except the gaming you will have no time for if you actually have friends.

You sound salty
£800 sounds mega, I have a £199 HP one with free Microsoft office subscription. Serves me well enough for my masters tbh x
Reply 24
Original post by gareths
actually its free on the Surface Laptop to switch to pro - or at least it was when i did it

unless it's been too long since the chance but there's always around machines it's just how to find it
Original post by ℓove

-Windows 10 64 bit
-2.50GHz
-3840 x 2160

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GQNEK.001-Acer-Swift-SF314-52G-530Q_2140682.html

I would personally go for this one, at the same price the spec sheet is virtually identical but you trade the 4K display (not necessary and often not particularly practical on a screen this small given Windows' issues with high res scaling) for a solid entry level GPU. Besides letting you play Sims 4 at 60fps max settings compared to the HD 620 which cannot get to 30fps on high, it gives you significantly more performance headroom for any games that you may want to play in future. It's also being bought new so you'll get an intact warranty.
Original post by wolto
unless it's been too long since the chance but there's always around machines it's just how to find it

You can do it until March 31st - they extended it
Reply 27
Original post by gareths
You can do it until March 31st - they extended it

That's great probably would be extended again. it's been almost 2 years since I had my windows 8 upgraded to 10
Original post by wolto
That's great probably would be extended again. it's been almost 2 years since I had my windows 8 upgraded to 10

yeah but this free upgrade is only valid if you use a Windows 10 S device
Reply 29
I meant I'll be installing 2 games (Roblox and The Sims 4) at the max. But you made a lot of good points in your post - I don't know how often I'll need to carry a laptop around, or how well I can cope financially living on my own. So I will rethink about buying the laptop I was considering, and wait until I'm at Uni to see if I really need it.

Though right now there's only 1 in stock right now which is stressing me out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
Okay thanks. I will take this into consideration when buying a laptop.
Reply 31
Oooh ok. Yea I guess you're right - except on the foot bit because £30 per week on food is definitely not enough for me (lol). But it's good to know that the two games I play aren't heavy, and the laptop will be used mainly for work-related purposes. I will think this over before buying another laptop. Thanks a lot for the advice.
Original post by ℓove
Oooh ok. Yea I guess you're right - except on the foot bit because £30 per week on food is definitely not enough for me (lol). But it's good to know that the two games I play aren't heavy, and the laptop will be used mainly for work-related purposes. I will think this over before buying another laptop. Thanks a lot for the advice.

£30 a week on food not enough? Do you normally shop at Whole Foods and Waitrose?
Original post by ℓove
x

I've attached the completed Laptop recommendation form to your OP :smile:
Depends on your budget really but £800 shouldnt be spent on only the laptop. Spend £600 and use £200 for software etc
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 123123412367
Say i have sufficient funding.. Greater than 2000 pounds
Should i get a decent laptop?
Or a computer and a ipad pro 13inch for lectures?

Greater than £2000? Might as well get a Surface Book 2 with a Surface dock. Literally everything in one. The surface dock turns the surface book or any surface device into a desktop :smile: No point in getting a computer AND an iPad when you can have the Surface Book in it's "clipboard" state which is super useful for notetaking!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Master_Khan
Greater than £2000? Might as well get a Surface Book 2 with a Surface dock. Literally everything in one. The surface dock turns the surface book or any surface device into a desktop :smile: No point in getting a computer AND an iPad when you can have the Surface Book in it's "clipboard" state which is super useful for note taking!

Note taking is the reason i wanted to get a ipad pro.. I heard apple pencil is better than the surface stylus

Wasn't looking into Microsoft products before really.. Didn't have a lot of faith in them 😂😂
Original post by 123123412367
Note taking is the reason i wanted to get a ipad pro.. I heard apple pencil is better than the surface stylus

Wasn't looking into Microsoft products before really.. Didn't have a lot of faith in them 😂😂

Apple Pencil is a lot better. But, if this is note taking in a lecture then why not just stick to a notepad and pen, there’s no real benefit of the device in a learning environment IMO.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Apple Pencil is a lot better. But, if this is note taking in a lecture then why not just stick to a notepad and pen, there’s no real benefit of the device in a learning environment IMO.

Save trees?😂😂
So you dont have to carry notepads around..
Reply 39
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I've attached the completed Laptop recommendation form to your OP :smile:

Alright thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending